Mk III ghost notes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fusionista

Reaction score
I'm a proud new owner of a 60watt non-reverb non-EQ red stripe Mk III. I bought it purely on the basis of its great open tone, excellent for contemporary jazz & fusion styles. (I also needed more headroom than I get with my Studio 22). I have a problem with ghost notes when I push it, an octave below the fretted note, mostly around A on the top string. I've pulled the chassis & the caps are original '86 so should obviously be replaced, should this fix the problem?

Definately change the tubes, if you did not put them in yourself. I always put in new tubes when I buy an amp. No telling what kind of leftover tubes someone might put in it. Especially if you bought from eBay, etc. If you like the sound now, a new set of fresh tubes will make it sound even better. Do the 'ghost' notes appear when you have it plugged into one of your other cabs? I had an old fender amp that did the same thing. After tube changes, etc it came out to be the speaker. It had very little doping. It sounded great at lower, cleaner volumes. Once it got even slightly cranked, the ghost notes appeared. I put in a new speaker and the problem went away.

Just adding another thing to check.

It's probably your filter caps. You'll hear an out of tune note underneath the ones you play, particularly evident with the lower strings.

Have you changed speakers lately? Sometimes a thing called "cone cry" will seem to generate an octave divider effect. It usually goes away after a few hours.

Definately caps.Ghosting,particularly when pushed, is a cap issue.No doubt about it.

It's the speaker, a Mesa Celestion C90. In the top octave of the top string and the master above 4 the ghost notes come through. Anyone experienced this with this speaker? I guess I'll have to replace it.

Fusionista said:
It's the speaker, a Mesa Celestion C90. In the top octave of the top string and the master above 4 the ghost notes come through. Anyone experienced this with this speaker? I guess I'll have to replace it.

You've heard the amp with another speaker?

Try this: Google "cone cry". Sometimes you can fix the speaker yourself.

"Cone Cry" can be lessened by applying some dope to the speaker surround.

Latest posts

Back