MK IIB Tube problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbogart

Reaction score
Group,
I have a MKIIB. I noticed the 6L6 tube socket on the left does not heat up/turn on. I switched the 2 6L6 tubes around and the left side does not fire up. Right side seems to work fine. Any thoughts as to why?

This amp is new to me, it sounds great, but I don't have another Boogie to compare it to.

hbogart said:
Group,
I have a MKIIB. I noticed the 6L6 tube socket on the left does not heat up/turn on. I switched the 2 6L6 tubes around and the left side does not fire up. Right side seems to work fine. Any thoughts as to why?

This amp is new to me, it sounds great, but I don't have another Boogie to compare it to.

After years of use, these amps have a common problem of breaking pins 2 or 7 from the tube socket to the power board, especially the brown phenolic ones. No heater voltage, no light. You can see it clearly. They just snap in the middle between the pin and the circuit board. On some, I have replaced just the pin from a spare old socket, but a quick fix is a good strong solder connection. It that does not appear to be the problem, look at the two 100 ohm resistors to ground on the power amp board and make sure one is not blown. They will read 50 ohms in parallel if they are good and show no physical damage.

Well, you were right on. It was the number 2 pin. The solder connection had popped off. I re-solderd it and shazam, back in business. Thanks for your help!

That's great news. If you get the chance, try to tighten the four clamps that hold the socket to the plastic base. They get loose from years of tugging.
You can see it and feel it as the socket wiggles even though it's screwed down. I use a small hammer and a screwdriver to tap the tabs tight.

Welcome to the board and many happy years with your IIB.

Ed

Latest posts

Back