Mk IIB tube change.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobgoal65

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered already but I'm new here and I can't search until I've made 5 posts. I bought a new MK IIB 60/100w in 1981 and it still has all the original tubes. They are dying out and I'm looking for the best replacements. I play a Les Paul through it and I like the sound of the lead channel on the newer Marshall TSLs but also the wide range that the Boogie has given me. Is there a way to get a more Marshall sound at this point? The amps has 4 6L6 GC str 415 and 5 12AX7 i think.

Talk to Doug at dougstubes.com He gets good reviews from some of the guys around here.You definately need to change those power tubes,and it would be a good idea to have your filter caps changed as well.

OK, Thanks. I'm looking at Dougs website.
Now what are filter caps? How do I know if they need replacing? I'm guessing I can't do it myself. Also, still looking for tube recommendations.

Contact Doug,he will give you good advice.I am sure that eventually you will get many recommendations here,but you have to realize that what sounds a certain way to someone,wont necessarilly sound the same to you.In order to find that tone you are looking for,you have to try a lot of different tubes.You say you are looking for "a more Marshall sound".To me that is kind of unrealistic,a Marshall is a Marshall,a Boogie is a Boogie.I am not saying it is impossible to get what you are after,it depends on "how much" of a Marshall sound you are after.It is all subjective.Better to ask Dougs advice,since he has likely tried all the tubes he sells and give you a better idea of what may work for you.The tubes you have in the amp right now are over 25 yrs old and you will undoubtedly see a big improvement in your tone with just about any fresh tubes.As for the caps,I can tell you in my experience that any caps that old need to be replaced,and have never had a customer not see an improvement with fresh caps.The filter caps are the large caps in your power supply that resemble batteries.As they age,they slowly deteriorate and dont give you a strong,tight power supply.This causes the response of the amp,particularly the bass response to get somewhat mushy,and not as tight sounding.The fact that you ask tells me it is best to have someone do it for you.

got my pre amp tubes. Now I don't know which sockets are V1, V22 etc.
Can anyone help me?

Go to the mesa site at www.mesaboogie.com you can get a manual with the tube layout.

Latest posts

Back