MK II C+ near death exp./revival

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IK

Reaction score
During a soundcheck this weekend my amp reached a maximum of funny behavior and i'm curious if anyone has had similar problems and what the diagnosis is/was/could be.
My C+ 60w's volume started dropping in and out about every 4-5 seconds.
Also, there was a new and unfamiliar predominate dynamic humming which was quite distracting and loud when i was not playing anything but still plugged in. ( it has been acting increasingly erractic as of late, but nothing this intrusive). I had a trem pedal in the fx loop and after unplugging the send, the humming went away, but of course, did all capabilities of sound with it. Both of these problems ended up going away when i simply turned the amp off and on again, but it leaves me worried for the next show which will be happening before i will have time to get the amp serviced.
From what i have read, this sounds like a filter capacitor issue. Seeing how my amp is around 24 years old, and i don't think the caps have ever been changed, is this the most likely culprit? If not, what routes of service checking would anyone like to recommend? thanks.

All preamp/power tubes were changed within the last year. Considering that i play the amp at more than bedroom level no more than 1-2 times a week, i think the tubes should still be okay...?

Try spraying a good quality contact cleaner/lubricant into all the control pots and rotate them several times before returning to your usuall settings. Remove everything from the fx loop to eliminate the possibility of a bad cable or device. Tubes can fail at any time regardless of their newness.

Latest posts

Back