Mixing cabs to go along with Express 5:50?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesa_vic

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a newb when it comes to amps.

But basically I've been doing a lot of reading the past few days and could not really find a concise answer to this.

I'm very close to purchasing an Express 5:50 head. Because I drive a small sedan around and I dont want to break my back... i don't really want to get a 4x12. So i was thinking of getting 2 2x12 cabs. I was reading on Mesa website, and I had no idea there'd be so many different 2x12 cabs. I haven't listened to any of them yet, BUT i was thinking of mixing and matching them... e.g. 1 2x12 roadster and 1 2x12 stilleto.

Do people mix and match their 2x12s?

Do you guys have any recommendations on what cab(s) to go with the head?

Btw, the other member in my band plays through a slant 4x12 with mark IV, which is why I figure I should get 2 2x12 to match his volume and appearance.

Any opinion/feedback on this would be very much appreciated, thanks!

One option you might want to consider is a 4x10 cab. I've got a Marshall 4x10 that I really like a lot. Depends on what type of music you play... but it may work for you. As far as weight is concerned they are pretty easy to move around, especially if you put a set of casters on it.

Getting 2 2x12 cabs seems like overkill to me - seems like a much bigger pain to haul around than a single 4x12 cab.

i play mainly alternative rock/mainstream punk stuff

the reason for the 2 2x12 is because there are times at practices and such that i dont need to have 4x12 so i could theoretically just bring a 2x12. I don't mind making separate trips back to the car.

My main concern is transporting 90+ lbs cabs around where I live. I live in a townhouse complex and live on the 2nd floor, so moving stuff around is not going to be easy regardless of casters or not.

Getting 2 2x12 cabs seems like overkill to me - seems like a much bigger pain to haul around than a single 4x12 cab.

The problem with a 4x12 is that it will not fit in most small vehicles. I would love to have a 4x12 to gig with, but a 4x12 would never fit in my Acura Legend. I use 2 2x12s. One goes in the trunk and the other goes in the back seat. 4x12 sound with 2x12 portability.

The problem with a 4x12 is that it will not fit in most small vehicles. I would love to have a 4x12 to gig with, but a 4x12 would never fit in my Acura Legend. I use 2 2x12s. One goes in the trunk and the other goes in the back seat. 4x12 sound with 2x12 portability.

for your 2 2x12s, do you use the same brand/model on both?

edgarallanpoe said:

Ah.... good point. I've always had a hatchback - just the right size for a half stack and a bunch of gear.

Latest posts

Back