mix EL-34s and 6L6s in a Dual Rec?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grassninja

Reaction score
Hey, guys, first of all, I'm new to the board, so "hi". I've done a lot of searching on the board about tube combinations, and found a lot of great info, but have a specific question about mixing tubes.

I currently have a 3ch Dual Rec (bought used) that has the stock preamp tubes, EH 6L6 power tubes, and Raytheon rec tubes (oiy). I run the head through a Road King cab. The sounds I need run the gammut...though I more heavily rely on cleans and warm "rock" distortion rather than super high-gain metal tones.

First, I'm wondering if anyone has experience running 2 EL-34s and 2 6L6s in a DR and what their thoughts were. Would it allow me to retain the ability to get bottom-heavy metal tones while making it easier to get an overdriven rock tone, or am I understanding this pairing incorrectly?

Also, I usually run the amp with 2 power and one rec tube pulled to reduce the wattage. Is this pairing even possible at 50W or would I have to put all 4 power tubes in? Another important note: At the place we normally play live, we can't crank the amps. I'm trying to get the best results with the lowest volume possible...which I realize isn't ideal.

Either way I go, I'm planning on retubing the entire amp from eurotubes or tubestore, so I'm open to changing the preamp/rec tubes as well.

Thanks for any advice!

I can't help you with the tubes, but one of my favourite rock distortions is the dirty channel on "Raw" mode pushed by my Zakk Wylde overdrive pedal. If you have a decent OD pedal like a SD-1 or something, try it out.

Channel 2 "Raw"
Gain: 1 o'clock
Treble: 1:30
Mids: 1 o'clock
Bass: 10 o'clock
Presence: 10 o'clock

On my OD the Level is dimed, the gain just barely up and the tone about 1/3rd of the way up.

FWIW.

-Andy

I'll definitely have to check that out...I haven't really messed with the raw setting on channel two. I almost always play it in vintage. Also, I do have access to overdrive in my boss gt-6...I just have to set up the patch.

Forgot to mention this before, but I'm playing an ESP MH-301 with EMGs (81b/60n) through a boss gt-6 in the loop. This will change in a few months when an ESP Eclipse II with duncans (JB/59) will be main main guitar. Hopefully when I move from the actives to the passives it will help achieve the tone I'm looking for as well.

No one has paired EL34s and 6L6s??? Wow, maybe I'll have to try it and report back.

grassninja said:
No one has paired EL34s and 6L6s??? Wow, maybe I'll have to try it and report back.

It can be done assuming the tubes are within spec of each other.

Contact bob at www.EuroTubes.com
he can make sure to give you tubes within spec

Latest posts

Back