Mini Rectifier Tone Demo #1 - The Softer Side of the Mini

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiJoe

Reaction score
This tone setting I call "Wes Montgomery meets BB King meets Larry Carlton." It's suitable for a wide range of music, such as jazzier blues, R & B, and funk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5IJiwtyV0A

Using the Josef Zawinul classic, "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy," this is the first in a series I'll be doing to showcase my awesome new MESA/Boogie Mini Rectifier amp and all the great tones this thing delivers besides shredding metal (which it does well and there's nothing wrong with that). I just want to show the softer, more nuanced side of this great amp.

• Channel 1, "Pushed" 10 watt
    Gain: 10 o'clock
    Treble: 12 o'clock
    Mid: 3-4 o'clock
    Bass: 12 o'clock
    Presence: 5 o'clock
    Master Vol: 9 o'clock

You'll hear that even with this setting the amp can deliver a warm, near clean, slightly broken-up tone to a nice, creamy, round overdrive, simply by manipulating the volume pot on the guitar. With more master volume it really comes to life with even more warmth and no added edge, always round. This was all done using the neck pickup.

Gear list:
  • *Epiphone "Dot" 335
    *MESA/Boogie Mini Rectifier with matching closed cabinet housing a 1X12 V30 Celestion (proprietary MESA spec)
    *Boss DD-7 digital delay (just to add some spaciousness)
Other effects on my board but not used here:
Boss CE-5 chorus, GE-7 graphic EQ, CryBaby wah

*There is no post production audio editing. Recorded "as is" with a webcam.

Interesting take on the mini rec. So many guys harp about how surprising its "metal side" is. But I'm like you, I've been pleasantly surprised by the warmer and smoother side of the mini rec.

CooooL stuff, thanks! Very pleasant listen, and tasty tone!

Thanks, mate, glad you liked it. I'm finding that more and more often I'm using the clean setting just cranked, and I love it! I really save the vintage mode for those special occasions when I need a lot of sustain or harmonic feedback, but I'm getting some very satisfying crunch and singing lead tones from the green channel, clean and pushed. There is a lot to be had from the Mini by pushing the power section more than the preamp, and it responds well to the guitar volume knob when used like that.

can't really tell anything from the recording.

it's the sound of the camera mic, sounds terrible.
it's not flattering the amp, that's for sure.

nice playing tho.....

can you just do a proper recording, and post that?

gonzo said:
can't really tell anything from the recording.

it's the sound of the camera mic, sounds terrible.
it's not flattering the amp, that's for sure.

nice playing tho.....
Thank you.
gonzo said:
can you just do a proper recording, and post that?
If I could, I would. Unfortunately, I don't have a proper recording set-up, so I have to work with what I have. A good mic and interface are probably next on my list of things to get because I really would like to do some decent recording. Thanks for the feedback.

Nice, I enjoyed the Performance, Tasty playing. But I don't get any of the referenced players tones in there, to me sounds more like Dicky or Duane. Great sounds none the less however you bracket them. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back