Mini Rec 1x12 Experiment

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings all. New to the board.
I've had a Trem-O-Verb 100W head forever, which I love. However I found that for most jobs it was too loud (even @ 50W) and sometimes too big. I bought a single rec combo for smaller venues, and while it sounded great, I found it to be just as cumbersome. (at least with the 100W head I could set in on the 4x12 and roll it most of the way.) and it took up almost as much floor space as the 4x12. (there's a lot of small stages out there)

So I thought the mini might be the answer, but I read here that a lot of people had reservations about the 1x12 cab. I considered getting a 2x12 that I could use with both the 100w head and the mini but the 2x12 kind of defeated the purpose of the mini IMO. I was really wondering how much the other speaker(s) mattered when in a live situation you only have one of them mic'd anyway?

So I pulled the trigger on the mini rec and 1x12 slant and last night took it to my practice space and mic'd it up along side my Trem-O-Verb.

I was amazed at how good the mini rec sounded thought the PA. Amazed. It sounded just as good as the 100w head and 4x12 if not better. You could hear the tonal difference between the two (which is minimal) but the sound quality was nearly identical. My drummer just stared at the "midget Mesa" as he called it, in disbelief.

Sorry to be long winded, but to conclude;
If you have reservations about the 1x12, don't. Especially if you play out live. This mini is made for the stage. If you are using it as a bedroom amp, the 2x12 will definately give you more low end punch, but when you are playing live and mic'd up that punch doesn't come from your cab, it comes from the mains.
Also, this sucker is LOUD. If the mini isn't enough for you, you probably need to put your drummer behind some plexiglass and get you hearing checked.
Rock on, Boogie Monsters.

I've been running my Mini through a standard recto 1x12 cab at home. I have been noticing that it sounds thin, and tried to compensate with the tone knobs, but just couldn't get there.

Last night I tried it through my 410, and it was WONDERFUL! Tons of low end, and still a very tight response. Really makes me wonder if the 2x12 recto cab is THAT much different from the 1x12.

The 2x12 Recto Cabinet is absolutely stunning - the bass that it generates is shocking. It's an AWESOME cabinet.

It is very different from the Mini 1x12 cabinet.

I've run our Dual Rec through a series of 4x12 cabinets and 1x12 cabinets. The 2x12 is my absolute favorite.

Latest posts

Back