Might be buying a MkIV and need a lil help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluesman

Reaction score
First of all I want to make sure I do not over pay so what would you say the going price is for one that is used but in great condition, Maybe 2 years old or so?
Second of all, I understand the the MkIV has about the greatest tonal range of just about any amp.
I play a rock, country, blues kinda sound, but I also like to thrash, and would need to the ability for more modern tones. I like a fender smooth clean as well.

Is this the amp for me?, or would I be better off with say a lonestar, etc, etc?

thanks for you time.

Kelly

The MK IV can cover all of your bases from Chickin' Pickn' to Lamb of God. I cannot say that for the Lone Star.

For a price range, I usually look at G-Base and E-Bay and then negotiate like an immature ******* who is unreasonable while trying to get a unrealistic low price until they get close enough to what I set my budget at. So if they want $ 1200, I would offer $ 800 and pay no more and $950. In music retial and wholesale, a store generally has half of what they are asking for in a used piece of gear, unless it is a seriously hot item and they had to over allow on it as the trade in to make a new item deal.

It's your money, fight to keep as much of it as possible.

Given that the current price of a Mark IV is just slightly under $2K, you will be hard pressed to get your hands one one under $1K -- to expect that is just unreasonable.

I would say a fair used price for a used one in excellent condition is going to be more in line between $1250 - $1400.....

....that's not to say, that there aren't some deals out there which can get you into one for $1K or slightly under; but you could be waiting around for awhile.

I've owned many Mark IVs in the past and have been lucky as far as price. In the used market I've paid as little as $650 for one and as high as $1400. but that was many years ago. Today I would not expect to get one that's only a few years old for less than $1250.

So you think $1400 is on the high end!! What about for this one in specific?
http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/groovetuber/Mesa%20Mark%20IV/

That's a steal....for that price -- given it's apparent physical condition. It looks lke there may be remaining warranty - possibly, which makes it a great buy.

Well then I am glad I bought it! Now its dealing with the anticipation you get during the period of time between the negotiations, and actually playing!!!

Wow, now I feel really lucky to have gotten my near-mint 2003 widebody combo, footswitch, extension cab, slip covers, speaker cable, and manual/documents for $1100 :D

yeah sorry, i'm just trying to make myself feel better about buying such an awesome amp and then only being able to play it twice a week at rehearsals... :cry:

eltrain858 said:
Wow, now I feel really lucky to have gotten my near-mint 2003 widebody combo, footswitch, extension cab, slip covers, speaker cable, and manual/documents for $1100 :D

Well, you will find that on resale, Heads fetch a higher price than combos, this is especially true with the Mark IVs.

Although $1100 is a great price, regardless of the form factor.

yeah, i was actually looking at heads and vertical 2x12"s for awhile, having heard people complain about the tone from combos. i was playing it cool though, cause i didn't have the cash yet. then i got $200 for christmas and spent the next few days drooling on ebay.

then on 12/30 i got a paycheck from a new job and started looking more seriously for a head. the next morning i saw this rig on craigslist and couldn't contain myself any longer. i called the guy and went over there around 5pm on new years eve, didn't even haggle, just wanted to get the amp in my car as fast as possible. i'm hoping i don't have to worry myself with "resale" :D

Was that the one up in Orange County? If so, I almost called him to see if I could separate the cabinet from his head. That was a sweet rig.

yeah i was looking in OC, san diego is pretty dead for second-hand boogies, i always have to search LA/OC craigslist to find anything i'm interested in.

Latest posts

Back