Metallica's Death Magnetic Leaked

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like it quite a bit. Except for some of the mixing/tones. Occasionally there's some riffs that feel forced, but they do a decent job of integrating them after a bit. It's just as Kirk described: "A modern AJFA."

Unforgiven 3 is quite passable IMO also. Nothing much there, especially those verses. It's out of place on the album.

I'd love to hear this album with black album tones.

clutch71 said:
James voice did take some getting used to, keep listening...it's aging but still works.

The more you listen to it, I think every one will walk away happy. I could do without the Unforgiven 3 though.

what i'm digging about the vocals maybe isnt so much his vocal tone, its his attention to melody and his choice of syncopation. most vocals on this album seem very well thought which to me is more important than what he's singing about or how great his voice sounds. He's always been good with vocal melodies but there are many moments on this album that in my eyes piss all over their older stuff. Vocal to me KEA and AJFA were pretty hit or miss and sometimes down right shitty. Ride and Master had some very great moments but at times just so-so. TBA and the Load stuff had more of those thought out vocals and i think the combination of the old school style music with his vocal focus like TBA and the Loads really makes this album shine.

As for U3... at first i wasnt into it but it grew on me a lot. It doesnt completely fit the album but its still a good song.

I like the album. I had to hear it a couple times to really get into it but it is good. The recording has some issues I think. Does anyone else think that the guitar tracks sound like they are clipping or ragged in some way? James claimed he used the IIC+ on this album but I'm not really hearing that sound. I think the black album recording was much better but this album does have some kickass songs regardless.

Racerboy44 said:
I like the album. I had to hear it a couple times to really get into it but it is good. The recording has some issues I think. Does anyone else think that the guitar tracks sound like they are clipping or ragged in some way? James claimed he used the IIC+ on this album but I'm not really hearing that sound. I think the black album recording was much better but this album does have some kickass songs regardless.

yeah the clipping and MASSIVE amounts of compression in the final mix killed off all the dynamics and tone of the guitars... its actually been a hot topic for the last couple weeks (google: loudness wars metallica and you'll find a bunch of information about it). I think they were tyring to achieve a very in your face, agressive sound but Rick Ruben went about it in all the wrong ways. there is the Guitar Hero 3 mix out there that has the tracks in their form before the final mix and everything is a lot clearer.... a little less agressive but definitely full of dynamics and the tone is very much improved.

Latest posts

Back