Metallica's Death Magnetic Leaked

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jdurso said:
Laskyman said:
As someone who absolutely loves Kill Em All through ...And Justice for All and thinks the Black Album was decent, how would I like this album?

I have only heard 3 tracks (2 studio and 1 live), and in my opinion, this is as close as they have been to MOP and Justice since the 80s.....I think its gonna be good.....no hype....

Laskyman

and those 3 tracks lasky speaks of arent even the cream of the crop... the album gets waaaayyyy heavier than those... well maybe a little heavier than my apocalypse

+1

Judas Kiss and All Nightmare long just to name 2

and touching on the other subject about illegally downloading, i am probably going to do exactly what you are doing, 1 for the car and one for not beating up, but i completely understand how musicians wouldn't want their music to get ripped when they worked so long and hard just to have it being stolen in the end. If you are like Radiohead or NIN and don't give a crap, then whatever, but you know what im getting at.

http://www.997wrkz.com/dnn/INFO/ROCKNEWS/tabid/89/Default.aspx

There's a public posted clip of Cyanide. Not bad. I've heard The Day that Never Comes and it's not bad...James' voice is starting to show though.

There is to supposed to be an album preview I believe Thursday @ 7pm hosted by Dave Grohl and Taylor (forgot name) from the Foo Fighter w/ Live interviews w/ Metallica. It's on the station on the link I posted but no info on their web site. If your local radio station is not carrying it, you may be able to listen as WRKZ has a Listen Live link.

Cyanide by the way reminds me of their later stuff, not much uses for anything after AJFA for me. The Day that Never Comes has some interesting stuff in it.

clutch71 said:
http://www.997wrkz.com/dnn/INFO/ROCKNEWS/tabid/89/Default.aspx

There's a public posted clip of Cyanide. Not bad. I've heard The Day that Never Comes and it's not bad...James' voice is starting to show though.

There is to supposed to be an album preview I believe Thursday @ 7pm hosted by Dave Grohl and Taylor (forgot name) from the Foo Fighter w/ Live interviews w/ Metallica. It's on the station on the link I posted but no info on their web site. If your local radio station is not carrying it, you may be able to listen as WRKZ has a Listen Live link.

Cyanide by the way reminds me of their later stuff, not much uses for anything after AJFA for me. The Day that Never Comes has some interesting stuff in it.

if you havent downloaded the leak yet, just wait till the 12th... the rest of the album is incredible

mystidream said:
Elpelotero said:
If this is true, I think it's a shame...

+1 on that man. I can't believe people can't wait a week until the album comes out. God forbid someone had to spend $11 dollars on a cd anymore. :roll:

first of all i know right off the bat i'm buying 2 cds the day it comes out... and then probably the coffin set at some point too (thats the kind of metallica fan i am). I think the only people who really know about the leak are metallica fans who are going to buy the cd anyway. most of us have waited over 10 years for some good original stuff out of these guys (i dont consider st anger much of an album) and its only human nature that if you know its out there your going to look. BTW, the reason it leaker is because they released it almost 2 weeks early in France... so our French brothers have their cds in hand as we speaker. how or why it happened that way is beyond me.

As I understand it, legally, you could burn a copy of the CD for your car, being that you purchased a copy of the CD, providing there isn't any countermeasures on the disk that prevents you from burning it...

If I am mistaken, please correct me...

Surprisingly it's not bad BUT...

Those are all first impressions, I'm typing this as we sample each song...

Listening with my son, we noticed something funny in the first two tracks...

First one, we both went... uh. This sounds like Offspring
Second one, the main riff is Pearl Jam's Even Flow

Don't like the tone of track 3, Broken Beat and Scarred.

Track 4 is definitely from the "poppy" Load & Reload "era"

All Nightmare Long is heavy as hell :) Cool riffs

Unforgiven III? Uh... hmmm... wtf? running out of title names? sounds like a mosh of I and II...

It's heavy like the old stuff, none of that "St-Anger" screaming/throat crap.

I'll definitely be listening to it a few times (and buy it if I do like it). I have so many CDs still in shrink wrap it's ridiculous... I download, then buy and shelve it... lol

Its the best Metallica I have heard in a long time. Hammett still reaching for the wah and beat up pentatonics/lousy vibrato as usual but I still love his playing anyway ( I actually cringed at the solo on " The End of the Line " though).

I bought Master of Puppets on vinyl the day it came out. I remember vividly when Metallica was a juggernaut. I really did not like the Load era and after I bought St. Anger I swore I would never listen to them ever again. The new tracks are a return to form to me. Don't get me wrong... it's not Master of Puppets but it's the best I have heard by them in a long time. It's not "pop" music a la Load era and its not whatever St. Anger was ( the worst CD I ever bought hands down.).

The good news.... the snare drums is not going to drive you nuts. There are guitar harmonies ( " The Day that Never comes" ) and some awesome riffs. I feel like I'm 15 again when I hear this new material. And guitar solos !

stompboxfreak72 said:
Its the best Metallica I have heard in a long time.

Don't get me wrong... it's not Master of Puppets but it's the best I have heard by them in a long time. It's not "pop" music a la Load era and its not whatever St. Anger was ( the worst CD I ever bought hands down.).

Fully agree. St-Anger was such a disappointment, even worse than Load/Reload. Last one I bought was Load then I quit.

Glad to see they renewed with their older sound. We'll see in the long run if this album becomes a Metallica classic :)

Marc

I actually think I'm one of the few people that likes St. Anger. Not that It's my favorite or nothing but at the time I was listening to a lot fo stuff in drop-c so it fit. I really did not like anything from the Black album forward.

I remember waiting till midnight to buy the Black album. Drank all kinds of beer prior to picking it up. We rotated in "shifts" between drinking and waiting in line. I rushed back to my apartment and popped it in. Listened to the whole album once and never again. I really had no use for it after that and I think I just lost track of it.

clutch71 said:
I actually think I'm one of the few people that likes St. Anger.

For what it is, I am amazed the record ever came out. I think they needed to put out a turd, to get back on track. You can't be an all star all the time, and they needed to experiment.

Animeka said:
First one, we both went... uh. This sounds like Offspring
Second one, the main riff is Pearl Jam's Even Flow
l

Yeah, I can reference things in most riffs from allot of other bands, but dude, The End of the line sounds nothing like butt jam. I can almost see the at :42 seconds the even flow-esque vibe, but to me its in the vain of 2x4.

This disc is solid on all fronts.

ive finally ahd time to digest the whole thing about 20 or so times. Is it my favorite album by them? no but Puppets just has a place in my heart.... i will say its in my top 3 because i think every song is atleast good. I also like the fact you can hear part of every era in this one album. this is as strong an album as AJFA. And while i dont care much for the title of the unforgiven III because it automatically makes you compare it to the other two.... its a killer song. very strong showing front to back, and while you can compare to their catalog this album is its own.

i may be one of the few that really dig the load sessions. maybe its because i tend to like that style of music more or the fact i dont want my band to write the same album for 20 years (slayer :wink: ) but i like the diversity. If you had never heard any of the old stuff before jumping into Load/ReLoad i think you have a different perspective. there are just some killer stuff in those songs musically.

St anger i dig on a certain level. its very raw, barebones and put into context im suprise they even released an album with all the other stuff going on. there is some good stuff onn that album it just sucks that it was poorly produced and they didnt actually "write" the songs... cut and pasting jam sessions while a cool experiment doesnt make for a good album.

Elpelotero said:
jdurso said:
Elpelotero said:
If this is true, I think it's a shame...

well judge for yourself. i think its an album all its own but people are always looking for comparisons. i'll say one thing if someone is purely a load era fan then they may not dig it as much. i really like almost everything they've done with the exception of kill em all and most of st anger, so for me its nice to hear them borrowing from what they've done best throughout there career

Well what I was referring to was the album leaking prematurely. At least you will buy the cd and beat it up like I will, but after all the hard work put into this album, there are millions of people who are just going to download it and be done with it. No cd, no anything. If you've ever met an artist face to face and talked with them about this, it changes your perspective on everything.

One could certainly argue though, that all of us who wasted our money on "St. Anger" deserve a free cd to make up for that bit of aural torment.

I've watched a couple live versions of their new songs, and if the rest of the cd is like those 2 songs, I think it's going to be one of their best albums. I can't wait to hear the Unforgiven III!!!! I also thought it was interesting that for both the songs I watched them play live, and the for the studio/music video of "The Day That Never Comes" Kirk does NOT use his wah on the solos!.....I'm also excited that there ARE solos in the songs again.........(Even though I'm probably one of about 5 people in the world that actually liked St. Anger, I did miss the solos from both Kirk and James)

-AJH

For the folks who weren't able to download the album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG4j868n_8U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4xpFMNc3VY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxzk854iFxY&feature=user

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6iMeHUxM40&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqjpOinb-54&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi_YQBJg2Ak&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYQdNpUpVF8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYydylIukdg&feature=related

& finally,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmreCYaSm2c&feature=related :lol:

apparently, Het & Trujillo have been bonding while shopping for Armani...

wjt6l3.jpg

haha I love that picture!
btw: if Rob Trujillo didn't have the facial hair he'd look just like Nathan Explosion

Latest posts

Back