Metal Guitar Suggestions? Ibanez, ESP or Schecter?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectricTurkey4369

Reaction score
Hey guys, i was thinking of getting a second guitar for metal. I was either thinking the ESP eclipse, Ibanez MTM2, or a Schecter C1 Hellraiser. Any pros and cons of each guitar that i should know about?
I'm leaning towards the MTM2 because its cheaper, and the white model looks awesome.

I will always suggest schecters there are just fantastic guitars for the price point but it comes down to a feel thing. the Mtm2 will probably have a thinner neck.

What kind of pickups and hardware do you want on the guitar? If you want EMG's and a Real Floyd Rose I would suggest ESP or Schecter over Ibanez, unless you can afford the nicer Prestige Iby's with the Edge Zero or ZR-II trems. I don't like the edge III personally. Also, most of the pickups that come stock on mid-level (even some Prestige models) ibanez guitars aren't really that great.

-AJH

Tough to beat some of the better ESP's. I'm hot and cold on Schecter's being that there's a massive difference between what they deem to be their upper-end and everything else. Played a couple of their blot-ons and was horrified but the set-neck versions weren't aweful for the price. Ibanez has always made some good guitars, again avoid their lower line stuff.

I would probably go with ESP if I were you. I've never been a fan of Schecter. Some people love them but I have never been impressed with them. Mostly I don't like the feel of their necks. Ibanez have nice necks but I don't care for the stock pickups in most of them. I do like my Xiphos a lot but the edge III is a problem. Mine is about 2 years old and doesn't tune well anymore so I blocked it. The dimarzio d'activators in it are great for metal though.

The ESP's have nice necks and EMG pickups which are pretty much a standard for metal. The Eclipse is a nice guitar. Not a shredding guitar IMO. Definitely a chugging metal rhythm guitar though.

arent shecter and esp ltd guitars all made in the same factory for the most part?
I know my kh-603 and my schecter c-1 plus both are and the shcecter has a thinner neck and plays alot better

Turumbar82 said:
I would probably go with ESP if I were you. I've never been a fan of Schecter. Some people love them but I have never been impressed with them. Mostly I don't like the feel of their necks. Ibanez have nice necks but I don't care for the stock pickups in most of them. I do like my Xiphos a lot but the edge III is a problem. Mine is about 2 years old and doesn't tune well anymore so I blocked it. The dimarzio d'activators in it are great for metal though.

The ESP's have nice necks and EMG pickups which are pretty much a standard for metal. The Eclipse is a nice guitar. Not a shredding guitar IMO. Definitely a chugging metal rhythm guitar though.

I'm currently looking at the LTD MH-1000. The reviews are really good. And the white one looks so nice.

The MH-1000 is very cool.

Harvester1199 said:
arent shecter and esp ltd guitars all made in the same factory for the most part?
I know my kh-603 and my schecter c-1 plus both are and the shcecter has a thinner neck and plays alot better

Schecter and LTD are for the most part Korean guitars and ESP are japanese from what I know. I don't know the specifics if the factories are the same. I just know that I have never picked up a Schecter that I liked and that's been quite a few.

boogieslayer said:
Turumbar82 said:
The Eclipse is a nice guitar. Not a shredding guitar IMO. Definitely a chugging metal rhythm guitar though.

i completely disagree ! absolutely and with no doubt disagree :)

so you are saying it is a shredding guitar and is not a chugging metal rhythm guitar? haha

Is it possible to replace active pickups with passive? I'm thinking of getting the MH-1000 or a EC-1000 and replace the pick ups with DiMarzio's Crunch Lab and a Liquifire, since I have read about EMG's being to harsh. These are the pickups John Petrucci uses, they sound awesome. They are balanced perfectly giving you nice smooth leads and a tight crunchy rhythm.

yeah you can replace the pickups. EMG's are good pickups though so it's just a matter of personal taste if you want to switch.

I'm now deciding between the white EC-1000, and the white MH-1000 or the MH-350NT dark brown sunburst. It's the Floyd Rose on the MH i don't like, since have to use it, and apparently it hard to switch tunings with a Floyd?

I currently have an ESP MII-NTB, awesome neck. The guitar is very versatile and doesn't sound sterile when clean like cheaper guitars with active pups. The neck on it is the best part. I'm too heavy handed when chugging riffs so the light strings and the floyd mess with that. Also alternate tunings are a pain with the floyd. I just order a ESP STD FX http://espguitars.com/guitars_fx.html for heavy riffing.

ElectricTurkey4369 said:
I'm now deciding between the white EC-1000, and the white MH-1000 or the MH-350NT dark brown sunburst. It's the Floyd Rose on the MH i don't like, since have to use it, and apparently it hard to switch tunings with a Floyd?

I have the white MH-1000. It's a great guitar, been on tour with me for 4 months now. Plays like a dream. It's sitting at home now because I'm playing PRS guitars exclusively. I'll be selling it soon if your interested (once I get off this tour that I'm on). It's less than a year old and the only "blemish" on it is some slight discoloration of the black chrome hardware on the floyd rose bridge from palm muting. Right now it's set up for 12-52's in Drop B. Sounds HUGE. I also wired it up to 18 volt circuitry, and that sounds really nice too. Comes with a Hardshell case (not the ESP case though).

If you want to do alternate tunings, there are things you can buy to help stabilize a Floyd Rose, like the "tremol-no" or a hipshot tremsetter. The tremol-no allows you to either block the floyd completely, do dive bombs only, or make it completely free-floating (normal operation).

-AJH

Latest posts

Back