Mesa with a good clean channel - MarkIV or Roadster?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temps

Reaction score
I've had a dual rectifier for awhile now but the lack of a good clean channel and some all around kind of sloppiness is kind of wearing thin. I've spent months messing with and while everybody else likes my tone, I sure don't.

So I want to switch it for another Mesa. I've heard some CRAZY **** from MarkIVs, those things sound great... have they got a really good clean channel on them? This Zorran guy has a bunch of clips that sound just awesome through a MarkIV and since Lamb of God plays MarkIVs and I really like their stuff, that is a hell of a sales pitch for me.

But the Rectifier Roadster also catches my eye. Its got a really good pair of clean channels, I've played on those and loved them for some time now, but I dunno about the gain channels. Still not quite what I am looking for. Is the MarkIV a little tighter then the new rectifiers when the gain is cranked?

Well I have to say, it's whatever you like. I believe in what sounds good to oneself. I like "my tone" although it takes some time to develope one. Get out the video camera and shoot a tape of yourself, then you really know what you sound like. The gain channels on the Roadster are gonna sound somewhat like your Recto. Hey how about the Road King II. Thats what Idid.

I definitely record myself haha

http://www.soundclick.com/temps/

Need some practice on the miking

These are the sick MarkIV clips I'm talking about
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=147856
but I am not sure if the amp always sounds like that, if he is always playing his MarkIV, or if he is really fucking with it with a lot of effects and that

I went with the roadster 1x12 combo and couln't be happier. Here's why (for me at least).

Relatively small package (I've gotten over my head + 4x12 phase)
Awesome clean channels! Actually you will struggle with which mode to use until you find what works best for your type of playing. I use channel one for just clean tones but the tweed mode is also really cool. Channel two fat clean is also really good but I use the brit mode for that AC/DC tone. The two recto channel (3-4) are pure recto but also have a lot of flexibility. I use channel 3 for the Green Day and Foo Fighters type tones and channel 4 is set up with a little more gain for the heavier stuff like Zakk Wyle, Randy Rhodes, Steve Stevens type stuff. The only stomps I use are a tuner, gate, tube screamer and SD-1. Very simple set up and very affective!

I've never played a Mark IV so I cant help you there. But I will tell you that having 4 separate channels like the Roadster has is perfect for what I do in a cover band. I dont think 2 or 3 channels would have cut it for me.

Of course the Roadking II would also be nice but I was trying to stick with the 1x12 combo.

And by the way, having the 1-12 speaker on the roadster is not any problem at all for kicking out the volume or gain. Another nice thing is that it's a closed back design and has awesome chunk to it!

Just my two cents worth.

both clean and overdrive channels have got a different feeling in the two amps. you should really try the two and then take a decision... but if you absolutely want recto distortion get the roadster. MarkIV has got incredible gain too but its distortion is tighter and definitely has got another feeling (which personally i like more).

There is nowhere around here to try them both out. I've played a lot of roadster combos and the head through a half stack and I just don't like how its still got the rectifier style distortion. If the MarkIV is tighter that is something I am definitely going to look into some more, I want something tight.

The clean channel on the MarkIV is the only real unknown for me right now, and after putting with the dual rectifier solo head's "clean" channel for awhile is a pretty serious consideration for my next amp. I am really missing the nice cleans my old amp could do.

The cleans on the MArk IV would be as good as the LSC (aka Roadster, RK II clean channels), if it weren't for the reverb which really not that good on the MK IV -- not terrible, but not lush as in the aforementioned amps.

So I think you have your answer, The Mark IV. For me, I like the cleans on my RK II much better because, alot of times I just want to plug into the amp with no pedal/effects, etc. I'm just not happy with the clean tone on the Mark IV un-effected. The lead/distortion dept is another story -- it is head and shoulders superior (IMO), than the rectos (for my tastes).

This is why I am consolidating all of my amps down to two, my current RK II and am re-purchasing a Mark IV -- they are completey different animals that serve diverse purposes.

if you don't like recto distortion maybe the mkIV is really for you. Very tight distortion. The cleans, as said before, are excellent if compared to dual/triple rectifier cleans.

Do what I'm going to be doing.

I have a Mesa Studio Preamp (get a Quad or something if you want more versitility; although I haven't played a Quad before, I hear the Studio still beats it in terms of tone though) off eBay for like $200 or however much it's going for now. I got mine for $300Canadian about a year ago, I'm not sure if the prices are more now. Anyhow,

Then buy a Roadster head, and run your Studio/Quad through the Recto's poweramp, and you get the best of both worlds. New modern spongy bottom with great cleans from the Roadster and Studio/Quad, plus Mark IIC+ and Mark III tones. Giggidy giggidy

I own both the Roadster and the MKIV and it is true that both have awesome cleans. The difference is in the vibe. The MKIV cleans are like 70's-80's Fender amps on steroids. Rich harmonically, but very tight. Good for funk, reggae, prog jazz music. The Roadster's cleans are more vintage, especially with tube rectification and spongy settings. They are reminiscent of 60's clean tones, good for countryand blues. The reverb on the MKIV is passable, but on the Roadster delicious! I wont use the reverb on the MKIV for Channel 2 or 3. It colors the sound in a way I don't like. On the Roadster, the reverb is usable on all the channels. The distortion channels are definitely voiced differently. The MKIV is definitely tighter with more of a midrange voice, whereas the Roadster is looser, fizzy (in a good way), with much more gain available. The MKIV does not take booster or distortion pedals up front well whereas the Roadster does and even benefits from it (Try a BB Preamp on the Roadster!). I currently don't have a way to post clips right now, but will when I finish my recording set up, hopefully in early Feb.

Well I went and tried a MarkIV and I am really liking what I heard... I only had ten minutes to try it out so I just jumepd straight into tooling around with the lead channel. I got a passable distortion out of it. It was a combo and I was just running it through the 1x12 open back cab so it didn't have the kind of grunt I was looking for.

When I go back I'm going to try it in a road king and rectifier 4x12 cabinet and see what I can get it to do. It had a great top end, now if I could just get a little more low end extension out of it... :twisted:

I tried the Roadster again today too. It sounds different on the gain channels then a normal dual rectifier does, and the cleans are great, but theres not as much to mess around with on it. I am still leaning towards the MarkIV.

The Mark IV will have a tighter distortion channel than any Rectifier series, but IMO the Roadster has a better clean and will be a little more versatile.

That's my $.02 worth.

temps said:
Well I went and tried a MarkIV and I am really liking what I heard... I only had ten minutes to try it out so I just jumepd straight into tooling around with the lead channel. I got a passable distortion out of it. It was a combo and I was just running it through the 1x12 open back cab so it didn't have the kind of grunt I was looking for.

When I go back I'm going to try it in a road king and rectifier 4x12 cabinet and see what I can get it to do. It had a great top end, now if I could just get a little more low end extension out of it... :twisted:

I tried the Roadster again today too. It sounds different on the gain channels then a normal dual rectifier does, and the cleans are great, but theres not as much to mess around with on it. I am still leaning towards the MarkIV.
remember that markIV is probably the mesa amp which most need really long and accurate tweaking to sound the way you want! so take your time and play with the controls, i'm sure it will sound huge through a 4x12

Nelg said:
Then buy a Roadster head, and run your Studio/Quad through the Recto's poweramp, and you get the best of both worlds. New modern spongy bottom with great cleans from the Roadster and Studio/Quad, plus Mark IIC+ and Mark III tones. Giggidy giggidy
so, have you got a roadster and tried it this way?i'm really courious to know if anyone has ever tried this config!

ytse_jam said:
Nelg said:
so, have you got a roadster and tried it this way?i'm really courious to know if anyone has ever tried this config!

No, unfortunately I will not have enough money for a Roadster for a while, especially since I have decided to save up for a computer before an amp.

However, I know that MontyJay/4nkam (I'm not sure which name he uses/used in this board) who has a Studio, Quad, I believe a Tremoverb or Rectoverb and a bunch of other amps, did run his Studio and Quad into the Recto's poweramp, and he said it still retained much of its Mark qualities.

Nelg said:

I have a Mesa Studio Preamp (get a Quad or something if you want more versitility; although I haven't played a Quad before, I hear the Studio still beats it in terms of tone though) off eBay for like $200 or however much it's going for now. I got mine for $300Canadian about a year ago, I'm not sure if the prices are more now. Anyhow,

Its the spongyness I don't like though. Its gotta be tight from top to bottom.

temps said:
Nelg said:

Its the spongyness I don't like though. Its gotta be tight from top to bottom.

If you really hate spongyness and just want a tight and articulate sound, the Mark IV is probably a better choice. BUT, that being said, I noticed you said you liked Zorran's tone, which I find a little spongier than your average Mark IV sound that most people post when they record. His tone (to me, anyway) is like a perfect mix between the Mark IV tightness and the Recto's big and looser bottom.

I'm not sure if you listen to Killswitch Engage, their tone is pretty **** tight too. They used to use Framus Cobras, which are one of the tightest amps around if you haven't heard one. On their current tour, another guy on another board said that they were using Roadsters pushed by Maxon OD pedals, and he was raving so much about their tone.

Although I don't listen to Killswitch Engage and don't plan on going to any of their live shows, you can bet that they had a tight enough sound to get them to replace their Cobras.

Maxon OD pedals eh? I might have to try that out, because I saw them live too and man they have one hell of a good tone.

Latest posts

Back