Mesa vacuum tube help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshall_Fascist

Reaction score
I was at my local mesa dealer yesterday, and found that there were 2 different 6l6 tubes and on top of that a 5881-6l6 tube. what is the diffrence between these tubes that are the same type? I know the 5881 is almost the same thing as a 6l6 and was made for millitary specs, but what about the other two?
I'm looking to retube my mark III, and was thinking about putting a pair of 5881's and a pair of 6l6's, just to try something new. I love the sound of 5881 and the mesa 5881 from what I understand is russian. Now I'm in the market for mesa 6l6, but am confused. which one is made in russia? or are they both russian? if so... which one whould you perfer and why?
thanks for the future help!

Marshall_Fascist said:
I was at my local mesa dealer yesterday, and found that there were 2 different 6l6 tubes and on top of that a 5881-6l6 tube. what is the diffrence between these tubes that are the same type? I know the 5881 is almost the same thing as a 6l6 and was made for millitary specs, but what about the other two?
I'm looking to retube my mark III, and was thinking about putting a pair of 5881's and a pair of 6l6's, just to try something new. I love the sound of 5881 and the mesa 5881 from what I understand is russian. Now I'm in the market for mesa 6l6, but am confused. which one is made in russia? or are they both russian? if so... which one whould you perfer and why?
thanks for the future help!

Mesa 6L6GC's...

STR- 415 - Sylvania/Philips 6L6GC

STR - 420 - Various Sino and Shaguang 6L6GC's (Chinese)

STR - 430 - Sovtek 6L6GC or whatever letter variation that follows 6L6 (Russian/New Sensor/ExpoPul/ in Saratov, Russia)

STR - 440 - Pretty much the same thing as the Ruby 6L6GCM-STR and may very well be the same thing. These are made in the Shaguang factory in China.

STR - 454 - SED Winged =C= 6L6GC's formerly known as Svetlana here in the United States. These are made in St. Petersburg, Russia.

Those are the only 6L6GC's that they have sold that I know of.

It won't hurt you to run both of those power tube types in your Mark III.

Latest posts

Back