Mesa tubes - color codes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanboy

Reaction score
I'm going to purchase a set of actual Mesa labeled tubes for my Mark III no stripe. Customer service at Mesa Boogie said to use the Red color coded tubes. EL34's and 6L6's. The local dealer has Red 6L6's, but doesn't have Red EL34's. Im assuming both sets need to be red coded, is that correct?

Thanks,
Sean

I cant speak for a III...but I have run a number of different color pairs in my IV. I think you should be fine with a different color. I am pretty sure the color code relates to the bias rating of the tubes. any mesa labeled pair should work fine as long as it is the correct tube type.

I went a head and ordered a set or red 6L6's and red EL34's directly from Mesa. When I first bought the amp about a year ago, it really didn't sound good . It had a set of Fender 6L6's and a set of Ruby EL34s. I highly doubt either we're to mesa's required specs. I switched them out for a set of Ruby's, but didn't specify to the supplier that they were for a Mesa Mark III, so I'm sure they weren't within spec either. I'm really hoping when the new tubes arrive next week they really bring the amp to life and the amp sounds like everyone says it should. If not, I guess I'll consider swapping out the preamp tubes. Maybe it's just not the right amp for me, maybe I'm expecting something that will never be.

New tubes arrived today, there's definitely a slight difference in the amp with the new tubes. It seems to have a warmer sound, still very aggressive, the mids seem to shine through a bit more, and everything seems to sound more defined, if that makes sense. It's still a bit bright and fizzy though, even when I adjust out some of the treble. I think I'll give it a week or so to mess with it and if it still not quite satisfied, I'll do the "+" mod. Or should I mess with different preamp tubes?

"It's still a bit bright and fizzy though, even when I adjust out some of the treble."

If your Mark III is too bright and fizzy, don´t use treble. For decrease lower the presence knob
setting.

Latest posts

Back