mesa tube6L6 427, 430, 440 STR?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tofisi

Reaction score
What is the difference betwen mesa tube 6L6GC 427, 430, 440 STR?

I hope this helps a little...

tubehw6.jpg

6L6 STR440 Chinese, Power,
Go listen to them to hear what they sound like...
• Currently shipping in MESA/Boogie production amplifiers.

With the exception of being meticulously tested, I'm curious if these are basically the standard tubes/ valves from the listed manufacturers...

joey_truelove said:
With the exception of being meticulously tested, I'm curious if these are basically the standard tubes/ valves from the listed manufacturers...

Same tubes...just relabled.

Does any one know the difference if any, between the colors on the tubes. Yellow, Green, I think there's Red too? Are certain ones better for certain amps?

The colors are just to identify matched pairs,nothing to do with tone or something.
There's a thread about it.

The colors are there to tell you how much headroom you are going to get and when the tube will break up. There was a post that talked about the color scheme. The tubes are matched and color coded this is true but you can't slip in a new red with a 5 year old red and expect it to match very well (the color red was picked arbitrarily). Colors I have seen are red, green, gray, and yellow. I can't remember off hand how they relate.

If they refer to different hotness they would have different qualities that may suit different amps differently right? or no?
I suppose I could get the exact differences with a call, but I just thought I'd throw it out there tonight. I have some back up 6l6's that are green and I have a Single rectifier that could probably use a change and they are yellow. Basically wondering what, if any difference would be?
Thanks for the help!

I've got a set of the 425's in my F-50 and I like them way better than the stock tubes. Way smoother and not as bright.

18&Life said:
6L6 STR440 Chinese
Where can I find those without mesa boogie name ? :shock:
They might be called Ruby Tubes (like those in my 50/50). Don't know if Golden Dragon also makes those. Same brands as with the pre-amp valves would be a guide anyway. I believe TAD relabels chinese ones. You should be able to tell from the plate-structure.

Latest posts

Back