MESA STILETTO HERE

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in love with the Stiletto. The only thing that keeps me away is the lack of a "recto-ish" sounding channel. Of course, this amp was not designed to do that, but I need something versatile enough to give me the cleans and crunch of the Stiletto and the high-gain sustain of the triple-rec.

mloiaco said:
I'm in love with the Stiletto. The only thing that keeps me away is the lack of a "recto-ish" sounding channel. Of course, this amp was not designed to do that, but I need something versatile enough to give me the cleans and crunch of the Stiletto and the high-gain sustain of the triple-rec.
this amp is getting a real bad rap first off but i think its because poeple lack the understanding of the design

BOOGIE666 said:

Do you think that the Mark IV can give the brilliant Ch 1 of the Stiletto and the high-gain sustain of the recto? If so, I would really appreciate it if you posted some settings, or at least some hints for a starting point. I tried a Mark IV a while back, but I only had about 10 minutes with it, so obviously, I couldn't judge anything about the amp. If you could post some settings for achieving a Stiletto Ch 1. clean sound and a Recto-ish high-gain sound, then I could go dial them into a Mark IV at my local GC.

For us that can't try it out, How does the Stiletto sound compared to Mesas and Marshalls? I could possibly be interested in one.

How's the clean? Compared to 6L6 Mesas and Marshall?

The crunch? Do the el34s give it that sharp medium(and high) gain crunch that Marshalls have?

The lead?
How heavy is it on it's own? How much gain compared to Rectos, MarkIVs, JCM800s, 900s or 2000s?
How does it sound with a clean boost?

Would YOU be happy with a Stiletto, a cab, and a boost pedal?

Thanks

the clean is superve compared to the recto much more life in its character. the crunch is very dynamic kind of 3-d if you would .as far as leads go i would not give up your plexis or mark series or any thing but the lead channel can be very imppresive to say the least ,go ahead and pick one up from guitar center and if you dont like take it back .p.s. oh yea i forgot about the clean boost the stiletto loves a clean boost crammed down her throat :lol:

ValveHeavyTone said:
the clean is superve compared to the recto much more life in its character. the crunch is very dynamic kind of 3-d if you would .as far as leads go i would not give up your plexis or mark series or any thing but the lead channel can be very imppresive to say the least ,go ahead and pick one up from guitar center and if you dont like take it back .p.s. oh yea i forgot about the clean boost the stiletto loves a clean boost crammed down her throat :lol:

I NEED to try this amp. I used to be a strictly Marshall type of guy, but after I got my DC-5 and can see the difference in workmanship and versatility I have been looking at Mesas a lot more. A modified JCM800 with more features and Mesa build quality sounds very interesting. Even though a lot of ppl don't like this amp or think it doesn't have enough gain.

Robert

mloiaco said:
BOOGIE666 said:

Do you think that the Mark IV can give the brilliant Ch 1 of the Stiletto and the high-gain sustain of the recto? If so, I would really appreciate it if you posted some settings, or at least some hints for a starting point. I tried a Mark IV a while back, but I only had about 10 minutes with it, so obviously, I couldn't judge anything about the amp. If you could post some settings for achieving a Stiletto Ch 1. clean sound and a Recto-ish high-gain sound, then I could go dial them into a Mark IV at my local GC.

you can check this out for some of my mark iv clips. i'd be happy to post settings as well.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=163

Regret- remember most people don't think a JCM800 has enough gain either. These are the same people that think that Angus Young doesn't use distortion.

Personally, I love the way the Stiletto sounds. I think too many people expect to hear "Powerball" or "Uberschall" type of gain from them. I like the way the Stiletto allows you to convey the actual tone of the guitar. Less gain usually means more cut and bigger sound in a live app.

I love the sound of the stilleto. It kinda reminds me of the nomad series, but with much more feel. I thought the nomad was too stiff and way overcompressed. The stilleto, on the other hand, has the dynamics & feel of the lonestar/f50. I play rock & metal just like everyone else, but prefer power tube distortion over pre amp distortion. Therefore, the stilleto's preamp is perfect, with no over the top pre amp distortion. I love channel one's crunch channel. reminds me of a marshal plexi. If you get a chance, post some clips. I love to that that amp cranked again!

Hello everyone.
I've been looking into this amp also, as I think it sounds like it's the right one for me and what I would like it to do. Got a couple quick questions though. Can this amp give me a pretty good GNR type hard rock tone? Not too distorted but also not too wimpy? And does the dirty channel on these amps sound really modern and nu metalish like most Rectos, or is it more of a Classic Rock type?

Thanks!

Erik said:
Personally, I love the way the Stiletto sounds. I think too many people expect to hear "Powerball" or "Uberschall" type of gain from them. I like the way the Stiletto allows you to convey the actual tone of the guitar. Less gain usually means more cut and bigger sound in a live app.

+1

xnfx said:
Hello everyone.
I've been looking into this amp also, as I think it sounds like it's the right one for me and what I would like it to do. Got a couple quick questions though. Can this amp give me a pretty good GNR type hard rock tone? Not too distorted but also not too wimpy? And does the dirty channel on these amps sound really modern and nu metalish like most Rectos, or is it more of a Classic Rock type?

Thanks!

IMO the Stiletto can give you a pretty good hard rock and old school tone, even Eric Johnson's violin like lead tone. BUT, if you really into GNR type tone, you'd better check Marshall JCM800 out.

Here we go, the clips do justice to this amp IMO.
http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/VirtualStudios/Listen/usersong.php?userid=152371

overture20005,
those are some killer clips! Do you happen to remember what channel and mode you used for each? 8)

Latest posts

Back