Mesa Recto 4x12 and 2x12 cab Questions.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayer44

Reaction score
Need a little advice. I currently have a Single Recto and a 2x12 Recto cab. Im looking to step up to the 4x12 Standard Recto, but I am wondering how this will sound in a garage compared to the 2x12. Will the power needed to drive the 4x12 sort of offset the sound I was getting with the 2x12? I play and record mostly in my garage, so I dont want to lose the moderate level volume I use for those applications with the 2x12, but we are about to start gigging and Im just looking for some input before I blow the dough on a 4x12.

Well, how big are the gigs going to be? There's no need for a 4x12", a 2x12" is easier to transport and you get a bit more power tube compression at the same volume than from a 4x12". And if you do not hear yourself, that's why the monitors are there:)

I have had quite a few 4x12" boxes - but I have been always searching for a lighter and smaller alternative. I have found out, that these three work fine: ADA Splitstack Vintage (one half is sufficient] and Engl and Mesa 2x12 vertical. Two Thiele 1x12", with EVM12L if possible work also well, but together they are bigger and heavier than a 2x12".

Have you played a 4x12 next to a 2x12? If not, go to your nearest Guitar Center and do it. You actually might be a lot happier with the sound of a 4x12 but yes it is hard to carry around. I just compared the two and bought the 4x12. For obvious reasons the 4x12 will give a lot more depth. I guess it is a little heavy to be constantly moving around though if that's what you are doing.

Volume wise, the only difference I noticed when switching from a vertical 2x12 Halfback to a 4x12 Recto Traditional was that the V30s have greater perceived loudness. To get rid of the Recto graininess, you have to turn up the amp to about the same level so it was really no big deal. The fuller, thicker sound was worth it for me. My bass tightened up too since I went with the Traditional instead of the Standard. No more flabbiness.

In regards to size/weight/ease of transport, the Mesa 2x12 Vertical weighs 75lbs - about as much as some 4x12 cabs. The 2x12 is a pretty big cab too. With the way that you physically have to pick it up and with the the way that the weight is distributed, the extra 40lbs wasn't a big deal. I even found the shape of the 4x12 easier to handle overall (the 2x12 kept too much weight right at my beltline which strained my back more and the cab kept wanting to smack me in the nuts :lol: ). You're not really saving anything in terms of weight or ease of carry. Unless you have to load it in a small car trunk 3x a week that can't handle a 4x12, go big!

Well, i have played a lot of 4x12 and 2x12, I have right now a M/B vertical 2x12 (with an upgraded speaker, my secret:) and a Marshall 1960AV next to each other. In the rehearsal room and also live, there was never any problem with having a 2x12 while the other guitarist had a 4x12.

2x12 is pretty big, but I can easily handle it by myself upstairs and downstairs in narrow corridors. I can not do this with a 4x12.

And live, you get usually mic-ed and the soundguy does not like high volume from your amp/cab (not that i really care:) And if the stage is big, you have some monitors there for sure.

What i would like to play live is somethin like this:

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_artikel-182536.html

And get a consistent high-quality sound from any PA with hearing myself through a (maybe in-ear) monitor. Right now I am completing a stack of two to four 1x12 specially designed with some unusual speakers.

To sum it up. I have found out, that for me one speaker is not enough and four are not necessary, with two being optimal for my purposes. Your opinions may vary, of course:)

Latest posts

Back