Mesa Rectifier number 287 (first 500)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knightni

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Anyone any idea how much I can ask for my Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, 2 channels and it has number 287, so it's one of the first 500 Rectifiers.

I just want to know how much I can get for it.

thanx in advance !!

Please, before you do, do me a favor. Can you find out the Revision of it? It would involve removing the chassis and looking inside at the circuit board. There will be a revision written either as "RF-1C or RF-1D" next to the 4 big blue capacitors. Don't touch them btw! Just look at what revision is listed.

I'd really appreciate so I can add it to the body of knowledge on my website (in sig below). I'd like to get a closer approximation as to when rev D was introduced.

IMO, you should get about 2,000+ for it, depending on condition.

My amp is not here, it is in the rehearsal room now.
I will open the amp as soon as I get there, it will be in a few days.

Kind regards,

Frank

With the current economy, I'd hold off on selling it right now. Now's the time to buy not sell. Values on a lot of items are dropping drastically. I'd even venture they are lower than El Pelotero's suggested price now.

Give it 6mo and an upturn in the economy and i'd say sell it then.

If its in good condition, and works fine you should be able to pull 2200 plus for it. I'd list it on ebay though and get more traffic to see it.

clutch71 said:
With the current economy, I'd hold off on selling it right now. Now's the time to buy not sell. Values on a lot of items are dropping drastically. I'd even venture they are lower than El Pelotero's suggested price now.

+1. I just sold a Single Rec which did not have a blemish on it and was sparingly used. It had 3 years warranty on it and I only could get $750 for it. Don't get me wrong...that price is not horrible for a run of the mill , easy to find Single Rec but I was getting low ball offers of $450 and $500 which was ridiculous. I was thrilled to get $750 in the end.

Your piece is much more coveted than my silly back up amp. I agree with Clutch71. Wait awhile or at least don't give in to a lower price.

clutch71 said:

+2.

However, the economy is not going to turn around in 6 months, more like two years (if we are lucky). The world economy is heading for a really bad recession. Don't be surprised if you see unemployment jump to 8+% here in the US.

zeeman

bought another pre500 in mint condition tolex wise might need new tubes for 13 hundred the market is dumping fast.

I believe I saw this amp for sale in europe, where the pre 500 value is almost zero. Nobody knows about it and they go pretty much for the same money as a normal DR. 1500 to 1700 euros is a fair price. And I think we won't be hit that hard by the crisis, so that price should get it sold.

+1!

Pre500 Duals in the UK are pretty much unheard of. I'd probably get less for mine than someone would for a 3 channel! No joke!

hmmm kinda cheesy on mesa's end to drop performance after 1st 500.
IF its true that 1st 500 are better then shame on mesa, seems all who have post 500 have been cheated. :(

They didn't cheese out. The early rectifiers used Mark III output transformers. They ran out of these and switched to the DR OT.

stompboxfreak72 said:
clutch71 said:

+1. I just sold a Single Rec which did not have a blemish on it and was sparingly used. It had 3 years warranty on it and I only could get $750 for it. Don't get me wrong...that price is not horrible for a run of the mill , easy to find Single Rec but I was getting low ball offers of $450 and $500 which was ridiculous. I was thrilled to get $750 in the end.

Your piece is much more coveted than my silly back up amp. I agree with Clutch71. Wait awhile or at least don't give in to a lower price.

D'Oh! Exactly the price range I'm looking for in an SR. Passed one up for $800 at GC here in Cowlumbus. Was that listed on the board here? If so I need to start watching the classifieds again!

Well it is just more then the transfomers, as they do have some effect on the over all sound, the circuit revisions is what makes the true sound difference.

phyrexia said:
They didn't cheese out. The early rectifiers used Mark III output transformers. They ran out of these and switched to the DR OT.

They didnt cheese out, what happened is when they first designed the recto it was to be a solo head, for 80's style shred metal. Then the music scene changed to more of a rock scene where the solo's where cut down and it was more of a rythem thing so they redesigned the amp a little to be more rythem.

They also redesigned it because on the original 500 the clean channel was useless for clean.

Honestly if you are more of a rythem player and want great chug then you probaly wouldnt like the pre-500 as much as you might like a revision G or even a three channel. But if you are more into soloing or a player that does alot of both then the pre-500 might be you thing.

By the way, after 500 there were still D's being made and the mark transformers where put in the amps well into the 1200's or higher.
mortalman said:
hmmm kinda cheesy on mesa's end to drop performance after 1st 500.
IF its true that 1st 500 are better then shame on mesa, seems all who have post 500 have been cheated. :(

Hey Knightni,
I've been looking for a pre-500 dual rectifier for a while. If your still in the market to sell your amp please let me know as I am very interested in buying and would offer a good price. Heres my contact info- [email protected]
Thanks so much!
-Matt

siggy14 said:
Honestly if you are more of a rythem player and want great chug then you probaly wouldnt like the pre-500 as much as you might like a revision G or even a three channel. But if you are more into soloing or a player that does alot of both then the pre-500 might be you thing.

I disagree with you on this one. I am a rhythm player and the pre 500 I own does just fine :twisted:

Latest posts

Back