Mesa Newbie DC-3

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregN

Reaction score
Well, I snagged a DC-3 off Ebay recently so being new to the Mesa Boogie thing, I was wondering what to expect? My current main amp is a VHT 50/12 Pittbull and I also have a '65 BF Deluxe Reverb (a real one), a Peavey Classic 30 (my frustrations w/ this amp is what pushed me towards getting the Mesa), a Carvin X100B and a Fender Pro Jr. I figure the VHT would probably be the closest of this bunch to the DC3. Does anybody have any pointers for what I should look for when I first power this thing up? With any luck, I'm hoping it all works as it's supposed to. It doesn't come w/ a footswitch so I was wondering if I could use the Peavey one? Worth a try anyway. So, provided it's working properly, what's the consensus on these amps? I cover a lot of ground in the bands I play in. This one is intended for the more rock oriented project.
Any thoughts or advice appreciated!
Greg

I would download the manual from Mesa's website.

The Parametric EQ's for each channel work a bit differently than most amps, so people fire them up and quickly realise that the amp sounds terrible with all of the knobs set where they usually set them.

As for Tone,
I have a DC-2 without the Graphic EQ, but with the Contour.

Cleans,
Not as sweet as the Deluxe Reverb, but you can definitely get louder before getting any breakup due to the Master Volume for the channel.

Reverb,
Very nice for a Mesa, but don't expect Blackface Fender Reverb. I find that the Reverb Dwell or Delay (length of time the Reverb is heard) to be much less than Fender's, but it's not a Fender. I don't think it sounds as full as the Fender Blackface either.

Leads,
This is where the amp excels. You can get some serious distortion out of these amps. You will also notice that the note clarity remains, no matter where you have the knobs set.

I have a Groove Tubes Mullard Reissue in V1 (1st Gain stage for both channels), and a mixture of JJ & Sovtek in the rest of the amp.

I also have JJ EL84's, which are much nicer than the Mesa's.

I use my Mark IV more, but only because it has the Graphic EQ. I have been thinking of selling the Mark IV and getting a DC-5 instead.

I think you'll like the amp.

Thanks for the reply! I'm guessing a full retube may be in order. Or at least the EL-84's. THought I might go w/ Eurotubes full set. I believe they're JJ's.
Here's a question for ya. I've seen the downloadable manual and the EQ footswitch assign control is different on the one I"ve bought. In the manual, it looks to be a rotating knob. On mine, it's a toggle switch. I'm assuming this would be a good indicator of the age of the amp. I figure one or the other came first in the evolution of this amp. Anybody know which came first, rotary knob or toggle?
I"m pretty excited about getting this thing. I'm just crossing my fingers that it's in good working order.
Thanks,
Greg

".. a Peavey Classic 30 (my frustrations w/ this amp is what pushed me towards getting the Mesa), ..."

Greg let me know more why you are frustrated with C30! I have been very happy with mine!

I've been lusting after a DC-3 for some time. Let me know if you don't like it, maybe something can be worked out. 8)

jukesgtr said:
"..

Greg let me know more why you are frustrated with C30! I have been very happy with mine!

Aside from the fact that it doesn't have seperate EQ for both channels, I've just had a problem w/ the imbalance between the volume of the clean channel vs the dirty side. In other words, I set the clean side to almost halfway and in order to get close to that level on the dirty side I have to turn the master all the way up (this w/ the gain or pre knob somewhere between half and 3/4). And it still doesn't quite cut through enough. It sounds fine balance-wise when I play by myself but w/ a band when I switch to the dirty side, it disappears a little. Maybe if there were seperate EQ's I could get a little more highs or high mids to make the dirty side cut but as it is now, that would make the clean side sound too bright for my tastes. I mean, it's an ok amp. It's a compromise and after all, I did buy it to use as a cheap beater alternative to my VHT so I shouldn't be too critical.
Greg

I think the older ones had the toggle switch for the EQ, and the newer ones have the rotary switch.

If you do a search on this forum, I think I remember seeing this very thing discussed not too long ago.

Monsta-Tone said:
I think the older ones had the toggle switch for the EQ, and the newer ones have the rotary switch.

I thought it was the opposite. My DC-5 has the toggle and the two switch foot switch for channel and EQ. The ones with the rotory switch have a single switch on the foot switch for channel. My original owners manual shows the rotory switch and a polarity switch (I have no polarity switch) but had an amendment attached to the manual explaining the change. I beleive mine was one of the last produced. Of course I've been wrong before and the DC-3 could be different.

Ken j said:
I thought it was the opposite. My DC-5 has the toggle and the two switch foot switch for channel and EQ. The ones with the rotory switch have a single switch on the foot switch for channel. My original owners manual shows the rotory switch and a polarity switch (I have no polarity switch) but had an amendment attached to the manual explaining the change. I beleive mine was one of the last produced. Of course I've been wrong before and the DC-3 could be different.

Yeah, that's what I found when I searched the newsgroups for old posts on the DC3.

I miss my DC-3 head for its portability and sheer magnificence in the tone dept. Of course, the DC-10 head I own now eliminates my amp GAS, but to have that volume and tone in such a compact package makes for an awesome amp.

I own a DC-3, and have had it a long time. Before this I owned a Studio-22, and then a .50 caliber head running through a 2x12 roadready Mesa Cab. That was a good amp, but way too loud and a major hassle to move with that big cab. I wanted to get back to EL84s and Mesa's only offering at the time was the DC-3. I tried it, loved it, and bought it.

These amps are VERY good if you like the sound of the EL84 pwer tubes. Some people find the sound brash, but I like the bite. You will have to play around with the individual channel tone controls to find the sweet spots for both channels, but there are many to be found. The clean channel can get close to a Vox kind of vibe if you drive it hard, and on super clean settings it cuts through the mix nicely. I don't use the EQ on the clean channel much, but it can be useful for certain applications. The drive channel is hot, and voiced very well once you kick in the eq. Without the eq I think it sounds a little anemic, but you can still get some pretty decent sounds.

I have had issues with the 80K slider on my EQ - don't know if this is a common problem - but most of the time it works well if I just run it up and down once in a while to keep the contacts clean.

The effects loop is very good, and remarkably silent. Actually the amp is pretty much noise free anayway.

Tubes will be an issue. It's a really loud 35 watts, and will cut through in most situations, but you do have to drive the amp pretty hard. As a result, it's going to be running hot most of the time, so if you are playing with any regularity, expect to be changing power tubes every 6 months or so. The preamp tubes on mine have been finecky, but right now they are working fine. I change them out as a matter of preventive maintenance every 18 months or so.

If it's not big enough sounding when you get into a big room, which I have found on occasion, hook it up to eather a 4x12 or a 2x12 open back cab, and be prepared to be totally blown away. I LOVE running mine through a very old Fender 2x12 cabinet - it totally opens the amp up. But that said, it sounds pretty good all on its own without any external cabs to fatten things up in most rooms.

The reverb sounds great on the clean channel, and is almost irrelevant on the drive settings - I think it gets lost in the "bloom" of the amp's natural sound.

The older amps used the toggle switches, by the way. The rotory control was an upgrade in the later versions of the amp. I have the rotory control.

This amp should serve you well in most situations. My band covers a lot of different ground from jam-band type of jazzy/trippy stuff through Floyd and into straight blues. Handles it all nicely. I use compression a lot for my cean settings, and the amp loves it. If you use delay, run it through the loop and you'll love the way it keeps the repeats nice and separate on both clean and drive settings.

Enjoy - these amps are such good value for the money and will serve you well if you treat them with care.

GregN said:
jukesgtr said:
"..

Aside from the fact that it doesn't have seperate EQ for both channels, I've just had a problem w/ the imbalance between the volume of the clean channel vs the dirty side. In other words, I set the clean side to almost halfway and in order to get close to that level on the dirty side I have to turn the master all the way up (this w/ the gain or pre knob somewhere between half and 3/4). And it still doesn't quite cut through enough. It sounds fine balance-wise when I play by myself but w/ a band when I switch to the dirty side, it disappears a little. Maybe if there were seperate EQ's I could get a little more highs or high mids to make the dirty side cut but as it is now, that would make the clean side sound too bright for my tastes. I mean, it's an ok amp. It's a compromise and after all, I did buy it to use as a cheap beater alternative to my VHT so I shouldn't be too critical.
Greg

Yes I know what do you mean. I usually do not crank my C30 higher than 3 or 4 on clean channel at gigs (non-miked) and indeed I have to push the overdrive channel to somewhat higher to get the same volume level (depending on dist level) for solos. I have "military" Sovteks from Peavey in my C30 and I have compared them to JJ's, both sound great, these Sovteks have just some more clean headroom. I am going to use my set of JJs soon too.

plumptone said:
The older amps used the toggle switches, by the way. The rotory control was an upgrade in the later versions of the amp. I have the rotory control..

Actually, I've found out that this is incorrect. According to the Mesa site if you go to the "footswitches" page for DC's, they say that the original DC-3 had a two position toggle on the front of the amp for switching channels and a five way rotary switch on the back for EQ assignment and that newer models have a 3 way toggle on the front and a two way toggle in the back.
Just wanted to put that out there for posterity.... : )

Greg

Latest posts

Back