Mesa MarkV / Saturation 'mod'

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
V1) Tungsol 12AX7 Goldpin
V2) Tungsol 12AX7 Silver
V3) Tungsol 12AX7 Silver
V4) Mesa 12AT7
V5) Tungsol 12AX7 Silver
V6) Mesa 12AX7
V7) Mesa 12AT7

Try that config. It sounds/feels awesome on my V.

Ive got an equivalent setup in the V:25 and Mark III too.

It’s worth noting that the Mesa SPAX7 is also good for V1, but the its sounds like it has like a more modern/selective frequency thing happening compared to the Tungsol Goldpin. Both are good for introducing high sound/power-to-noise ratio. (All the sound, less of the hiss.)
Let’s necro this thread one more time! I’m not sure I’ll ever get through the whole thing, but there’s been so much good info from the parts I’ve managed to skim it seems a shame to let it die off altogether. **** shame that OP deleted all their posts.

Not sure if you’re still around, Markaggedon, but I’d love it if you could expound a bit on the difference(s) between the SPAX7 and Tungsol Goldpin in V1. I tend to prefer more high gain sounds, and I ordered a SPAX7 for V1 in my V:35 head. I already love the way it sounds, but I’m super curious to see how it sounds with the saturation mod. Seems a relatively cheap mod, so why not.

Anyone use a 12AT7 other than the Jan Philips to good effect?

Let’s necro this thread one more time! I’m not sure I’ll ever get through the whole thing, but there’s been so much good info from the parts I’ve managed to skim it seems a shame to let it die off altogether. **** shame that OP deleted all their posts.

Not sure if you’re still around, Markaggedon, but I’d love it if you could expound a bit on the difference(s) between the SPAX7 and Tungsol Goldpin in V1. I tend to prefer more high gain sounds, and I ordered a SPAX7 for V1 in my V:35 head. I already love the way it sounds, but I’m super curious to see how it sounds with the saturation mod. Seems a relatively cheap mod, so why not.

Anyone use a 12AT7 other than the Jan Philips to good effect?
The SPAX7 is supposed to have the leaat amount of noise. I haven't had any gold pin tubes, but I've put the SPAX7's, Tung Sol, EHX, Groove Tubes, Ruby, and JJ 12AX7's in several different amps, including a Mark V 90W. There's no significant difference in sound. I recorded the same riff with the same exact settings, only thing changed is the tubes, with every different brand tube and the only time I could hear any difference is when A/Bing the recordings on the fly thru headphones. Out loud thru the amp they all sound the same, but the recordings thru headphones had very subtle differences. The Tung Sol seemed to have a tiny bit more gain and was a tiny bit more harsh in the treble with a tiny bit less bass. JJ's seem to be a tiny bit darker with a tiny bit more bass. Negligible differences.
I've also used 12AY7, 5751, and ECC832. While they reduce the gain to different degrees, the amps still sound the same. The 12AT7 would be less gain than the 5751 and more than the 12AY7. 12AU7 is the lowest gain.

The SPAX7 is supposed to have the leaat amount of noise. I haven't had any gold pin tubes, but I've put the SPAX7's, Tung Sol, EHX, Groove Tubes, Ruby, and JJ 12AX7's in several different amps, including a Mark V 90W. There's no significant difference in sound. I recorded the same riff with the same exact settings, only thing changed is the tubes, with every different brand tube and the only time I could hear any difference is when A/Bing the recordings on the fly thru headphones. Out loud thru the amp they all sound the same, but the recordings thru headphones had very subtle differences. The Tung Sol seemed to have a tiny bit more gain and was a tiny bit more harsh in the treble with a tiny bit less bass. JJ's seem to be a tiny bit darker with a tiny bit more bass. Negligible differences.
I've also used 12AY7, 5751, and ECC832. While they reduce the gain to different degrees, the amps still sound the same. The 12AT7 would be less gain than the 5751 and more than the 12AY7. 12AU7 is the lowest gain.
Awesome, thanks for the detailed response!

Back