Mesa mark III or Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pierce34celtic

Reaction score
I'm looking for something that would do well for trash and some modern rhythm and lead tones as well as good cleans. Some tones I'm after are Testament, Metallica, Megadeth, Unearth, Nevermore, and some nice cleans would be a big plus, maybe a slight bit of a dirty clean for SRV if possible. There are a couple really good deals on Peavey 5150 and XXX for less than $600. However, the tones that I'm looking for are primarily Mesa, especially Testament and Metallica. A few people have recommended for me to skip the whole 5150/xxx and find a used Mark III for $700-800. My budget is exactly 1K, not any more. I'm wondering if this is a good option, since I'm not fond of the shared EQ. Would a Mark IV be better than a III for me? Or are the Peaveys capable of nailing these tones and at a better price?

I would say Mark IV.

Mark III has shared eq and does not allow you to have a good clean and a good lead at the same time.

pierce34celtic said:
Would it be worth it to pay a little extra for a IV as opposed to the great deal on the Peaveys?

Without a doubt! I think some of the Peavey stuff is nice (esp. the new 5150 III), but I think those amps are after one sound only- EVH obviously. The Mk IV will do a little of everything. You might have to spend around $1000 to find a nice used head or combo, but you get what you pay for and usually the resale value of Mesa stuff is great.

phillyred79 said:
pierce34celtic said:
Would it be worth it to pay a little extra for a IV as opposed to the great deal on the Peaveys?

Without a doubt! I think some of the Peavey stuff is nice (esp. the new 5150 III), but I think those amps are after one sound only- EVH obviously. The Mk IV will do a little of everything. You might have to spend around $1000 to find a nice used head or combo, but you get what you pay for and usually the resale value of Mesa stuff is great.

The 5150 III is a Fender.

Aart said:
I would say Mark IV.

Mark III has shared eq and does not allow you to have a good clean and a good lead at the same time.

I've owned 3 MKIII's , I own one now and I can get a very clean tone and a very high gain thrash/hardcore tone easily out of my MKIII. and at the same time...

Aart said:
I would say Mark IV.

Yes it does. Don't let that stop anyone from buying a Mark III, because I can get a killer clean and lead at the same time. Just decide which you like the sound of better, the Mark III or Mark IV. If you are aiming for Metallica tone, the Mark III should do. If you get the Mark IV for Metallica, you are just paying more for something the Mark III can already do.

The mark III and mark IV will both get you the tones your after. The III will be more aggressive and the IV more smooth (that's not to say it can't get aggressive, but that's the average difference). If you get a III get one with the GEQ and simul class to really nail those tones. The other amp to look out for is a Peavey Ultra Plus, I had one as my main amp for a long time and that thing ripped, it's kind of like a mix between a mark and recto tone. You'll see one on ebay now and then but they are fairly hard to find.

Pierce, I recommend the Mark IV for it's versatility. There's no way you're going to get Mesa sound out of the Peavey's.

I have one client that got a Peavey XXX at a reasonable price. Loved the way it sounded in the store...got it to rehearsals, and couldn't get the sound he wanted within the midst of the band sound....the store wouldn't work out a fair trade for him, so he brought it to me. Needless to say, he was pi**ed at the store.

I ended up replacing his 6l6's with el34's and revoiced the tone section..it's still not a Mesa, but close enough for his wallet :roll:

Hipkitty, have you ever played an peavey ultra plus?? Cause until you've played one through a decent cab you can't make a judgement on it. The ultra plus was the pre-triple xxx and sounded much clearer with a good mid range punch plus a killer growl.

edit: meaning peavey as a whole not the triple xxx, that amp just sucks

ToneAddictJon, yes I have had my hands on a couple of the Ultra Plus's..and you're correct about the clarity and mids...different design from the XXX. In fact, the Ultra's were a progression from the Triumph series which were really good. Both series, like all tube amps, sound different with different cabs. Each with it's own character.

I think that Mark IV can do anything that the MKIII can do and even plus. You said you need a slight bit of dirty. Well, you can have the RhyI have an amazing clean ( spend some time and you'll almost get a Fender tone), the RhyII can achieve your slightly distorted sound ( or even a great in-your-face rock distortion), while your Lead channel will blow everyone's face.

The three at the same time! Isn't that great?

The only Eq that are shared in this amp are the RhyI and II's bass and mid, but you won't use them much, unless you want a dark warm jazz sound.

This may cost you more money, but you dam' won't be disappointed.

scottcrud said:
Aart said:
I would say Mark IV.

I've owned 3 MKIII's , I own one now and I can get a very clean tone and a very high gain thrash/hardcore tone easily out of my MKIII. and at the same time...

agree.. i have both and i can say both are wonderful amp's.. if you are a full lead player i reckon the IV .. it has a more smooth voice..the III has grunt and aggression that makes it a world class heavy rhy amp.. it can also do lead sweet but not quite like the IV..

I have a III and I love it but a IV tempts me every day I go to work.

I am waiting to get my Thiele cab. Then I will think about it more.

Latest posts

Back