Mesa IIB Effects Loop Seems Fine?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude2Dude

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had my IIB since 1980. In all that time, I never really used the Effects Loop, mainly because I didn't use a lot of time-based effects, and also because I'd heard the loop was basically crap -- that it overloaded effects in the loop.

After years of going dry and direct into the front, I recently bought a TC Electronic Flashback Delay pedal and stuck it in the loop. Well shuck my corn: the thing worked beautifully. Not only that, but by also putting an Ernie Ball volume pedal in the loop — it doubles as a Master 1 control, as you know — I could adjust the level between the clean and dirty channels when I switched and still have the full sound of the amp.

So what's the problem with the Loop? Are the new effects better able to handle line level input now? Aside from Gonzo, has anyone else besides me been able to get their (unmodded) loop to work properly? Honestly, it sounds fab.

Would like to hear your experiences. Thanks in advance!

i have used my Mark 2b continuously since 1982.

i have always used the fx loop.

at the beginning, it was floor pedals, routed to the loop.
standard stuff, chorus, delay, reverb pedals.

then i got a full blown rack setup, and that was routed to the loop, using midi foot pedal to switch patches.

now, i have a very simple setup- a Yamaha DG Stomp in the loop, and i match the input/output at unity gain from the stomp unit.

i've never had any issues at all, with my fx loop.

works as described when i bought it.

CAVEAT:

i do not have reverb in my unit.
it is a 60 watt, GEQ head.
just a straight head, i don't know if that changes the issue or not.

I'm having problems now.. I noticed that when I increase first volume control, delay & phaser starts cracking and definitely not sounding good. And this already happens with low volume level. I guess this is the case and this is why there's effects loop mod.

How high are you running Volume 1? I'm running it between 7 and 7.5 usually, and I'm not having difficulties.

7 seems to be critical number. at 5 everything works fine. at 8 it is totally disaster. atleast my 70's MXR Phase doesn't take it well. just for curiosity, what happens when you turn vol 1 to 10?

Frankly, I haven't tried the delay in the loop with V1 cranked. Can you wait a day? I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

i can run my vol 1 at 10, and the fx loop stays clean and does exactly what it does on other settings, other gain.......

??

That's been my experience, too, Gonzo. Tried V1 at 10 and the loop was fine.

One thing I did notice, however, was that when I had my old Ernie Ball volume pedal in the loop (after the delay) there was a slight degradation in the volume and tone of the lead channel -- not lots, but it was noticeable. With the volume pedal out of the loop — and with only the delay in the loop — the signal was the same.

I guess I'll be running the volume pedal in front from now on. Unfortunate, because I like the idea of using the volume pedal in the loop. Anyway.

It's strange.. I've tried so many different settings last few days and currently loop is working fine. Maybe it wasn't about vol. 1, maybe it was something else. I read on the other board that effects loop problem got something to do with reverb been placed before loop instead of after effects loop. I don't even have reverb in my amp so I really don't know..

Latest posts

Back