Mesa F-series, good for metal?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacoby66

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new here and haven't really had my questions answered from other places so I thought I should come to the experts.

I am looking at the f-series and have heard that they dont offer enough gain to play modern metal, but some reviews say that it sounds between a mark IV and recto, so I am not to sure about this.

I read that the f-50 has a solid state rectifier is that a bad thing?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the board.

Its been a while since I have played an F-Series but from what I remember they can definately produce Metal tones. The amplifier that superceded it (Express series) caused alot of a stir because it was voiced differently and will not give metal tones without the aid of a pedal.

With regards to the solid state rectifier, it is not a case of one method of rectification being superior to the other, they just sound different. The Rectifier series and I believe the Lone Stars even alows you to switch between the two. If you need any endorsement of solid state rectification giving you a good sound the Mark IV is built with it!

ML

Does any one happen to know how much a used F-50 head goes for?

^^ and thanks for the info.

I just got a f-50 combo, (that I had to offload already, its amazing, I wish I still had it.) I paid 799 for the combo, and then I sold it for 875. It was a custom finish, so it got bid up a bit. The head would go for a little less than the first price. I would think 550 and up, depending on condition.

F-50s can do metal for sure. and do it well. especialy into a 4x12. and the solid state rectification IMO helps out while playing metal keeping the feeling of the amp nice and tight and focused.

F-50 with a 4x12 will get you all chugged up. The "F" seems a lot faster and tighter than my Dual, super spanky clean channel, add a good low gain booster for leads and your set. The amp has some Mark Series in it's bloodline, so it has more of a focused tighter sound that leaves room for the bass (guitar). I guess thats why some folks assume they can't do metal.

Thanks, guys now I just have to look for a f-50 head.

But i am still deciding to either get a Carvin V3 or this amp.

my f-50 combo had some nice thick sounds. too bad I sold it 2day. combo for $850

Latest posts

Back