Mesa F-series FX Loop Mix Pot Master Volume

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal9000

Reaction score
Since IMO the F-series sounds better when the preamp masters are above 9:00, I came up with a simple solution using the FX mix pot and two 1/4" connectors. Of course, this only works if you’re not using the loop. If you are using the loop, you should be able to do the same function by employing your FX device’s output level control.

hal9000F-SeriesMixMasterSchematic.jpg

How different does the amp sound? Is it a big change or slight? Is this specifically to get better tone at lower volume or better all around tone at any level? Sorry, for all the questions, you just got me curious! Thanks!

Brewski said:
How different does the amp sound? Is it a big change or slight? Is this specifically to get better tone at lower volume or better all around tone at any level? Sorry, for all the questions, you just got me curious! Thanks!
Brewski, curiosity is good! I think it improves the amp's tone at any volume actually, but it really helps at bedroom levels as well. I prefer loop attenuation (via G-Major) for low volume playing over using my Hot Plate at least on the F-100.

Hmmm, I'll have to get a couple of plugs next time I'm at radio shack or the guitar store... Thanks!

I do have a Hot Plate, but I'll give it a try. Does this work on other amps, like an LSS or LSC or is this only for the F-50?

Brewski said:
Hmmm, I'll have to get a couple of plugs next time I'm at radio shack or the guitar store... Thanks!

I do have a Hot Plate, but I'll give it a try. Does this work on other amps, like an LSS or LSC or is this only for the F-50?
I imagine the loops are probably the same, but the Lone Stars already have an overall master, so it probably won't sound any different. But, I suppose it's worth a try.

BTW, to test out the trick, you can just use two ordinary 1/4" instrument cables. Plug one cable into the FX send and the other into the FX return. If you have a paper clip or alligator clip handy just attach the tip and sleeve of the FX return cable together. You can also touch the tip of the FX return cable to the sleeve of the FX send cable to get ground and then lash them together with a rubber band.

not to sound stoopid, but do you connect one cable to the effect in/out loop with the mod done to one end?

HamerFan said:
not to sound stoopid, but do you connect one cable to the effect in/out loop with the mod done to one end?
That's not stupid at all, in fact, it's a good question. With a short cable, label one side FX send and the other FX return, because they are not interchangeable. Disconnect the FX send side's tip lug from the cable's center conductor. Then, solder the center conductor to the sleeve lug (ground) of the FX send side. With one change, you've made the necessary connections on both sides of the cable.

I've updated the instructions to reflect the single cable method.

hal9000F-SeriesMixPotMasterRevB.jpg

Latest posts

Back