Mesa boogie Thiele cabinet plans

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StriderXDI

Reaction score
Hello I'm new in this Board

And i need some help here.

I'm trying to do some DIY doing a couple of Thiele cabs, but i search in the electro voice web site won't load the PDF file
can some one here have the plans pdf file :?: would be great if someone can help me :|

and keep this post with updates of the cabs but first need to start with getting the plans and then start with the materials

thanks for you help!

Well i finally get the pdf plans of the thiele cab , the next weekend i'll start this project , this will be fun to do.+

sorry for my english =D

like this?

thiele_b.jpg

thunda1216 said:
like this?

thiele_b.jpg

Yeah! something Like that , question why did you cover the middle air exit of the cab?

this weekend i'll get some Koa wood for the cab! =D

But that is the general idea i heard too much about the thiele cabs how good are and that kind of stuff

by the way sorry for my english i'm not from U.S or U.K =D

Here's the plan. Search around. I and a few others have build this cab and posted pictures and tips. You can source most of the parts from Mojotone. I strongly recommend using a EVM speaker in it.

http://hf-antenna.com/Flotsam/EV/ElectroVoice_TL806.pdf

Some good post to check out...

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=38738

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13747

Mesa uses voidless birch plywood - usually 9 ply. If you can't find that, I'd use the best finished/voidless plywood you can find. I've built these using solid wood and plywood. I prefer the plywood. It will make the cab much more durable. No warped boards to contend with either.

StriderXDI said:
thunda1216 said:
like this?

thiele_b.jpg

Yeah! something Like that , question why did you cover the middle air exit of the cab?

But that is the general idea i heard too much about the thiele cabs how good are and that kind of stuff

the center block tunes the bass response of the cab. with the particular speaker I used in this cab it sounded better to my ears than without. the cab is made of solid oak, the speaker is a Peavey Scorpion.

GD_NC said:
Here's the plan. Search around. I and a few others have build this cab and posted pictures and tips. You can source most of the parts from Mojotone. I strongly recommend using a EVM speaker in it.

http://hf-antenna.com/Flotsam/EV/ElectroVoice_TL806.pdf

Some good post to check out...

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=38738

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13747

Mesa uses voidless birch plywood - usually 9 ply. If you can't find that, I'd use the best finished/voidless plywood you can find. I've built these using solid wood and plywood. I prefer the plywood. It will make the cab much more durable. No warped boards to contend with either.

GD_NC thanks for your recommendations well the main idea is to use Koa but i'll try to find the birch plywood and maybe i use it but i have a question you've built these using both materials did affect a overall sound of the cab, just asking :)

thanks!

thunda1216 said:
StriderXDI said:
thunda1216 said:
like this?

thiele_b.jpg

the center block tunes the bass response of the cab. with the particular speaker I used in this cab it sounded better to my ears than without. the cab is made of solid oak, the speaker is a Peavey Scorpion.

I've heard of this cab has too much bass so i think you are blocking part of it to not have excess of bass response right?

Oh nice wood you choose i'll try to use Koa and a EVM 12L speaker

Thanks thunda1216!

StriderXDI said:
GD_NC thanks for your recommendations well the main idea is to use Koa but i'll try to find the birch plywood and maybe i use it but i have a question you've built these using both materials did affect a overall sound of the cab, just asking :)
I doubt solid wood vs. plywood has a significant impact on the sound. Plywood is more durable that's the big plus. I'm sure Koa would work fine.

GD_NC said:
I doubt solid wood vs. plywood has a significant impact on the sound. Plywood is more durable that's the big plus. I'm sure Koa would work fine.
Agreed.

Fwiw:

Historically speaking: For years Mesa made Thiele cabs (and all other cabs) from 5 or 6 ply "Luan" plywood.
Mesa switched to "Baltic Birch" (a 13 ply 3/4" plywood) at some point - probably in the 90's
"Luan" is a cheap Philipino mahogany plywood.

There is no tonal difference for those made with Luan versus "Baltic Birch" or any other plywood for that matter.
I have had both Luan and Baltic Birch Thiele cabs made by Mesa.
And have made a few Thiele cabs with all sorts of plywood including Baltic Birch. No tonal difference

I suspect the reason Mesa started using Baltic Birch is because they began to cut their cabs on a CNC machine.
Baltic Birch plywood has a consistent thickness which is critical when cutting parts on a CNC.

Fwiw Baltic Birch doesn't quite measure 3/4" thick but is around 0.708" thick.
This is because it is actually metric 18mm thick: 18mm = 0.708 inches

Here's a pic of some of the many Thiele cabs (etc) which I have made.
They are similar to the EV plans specs but altered slightly to match Mesa sized Thiele.
Mesa sized are slightly wider and less deep.
The main thing when adjusting the size of the cab is to maintain the internal volume of the Thiele cab. (something like 1.3 cubic feet)

JulyAugust2010-09.jpg

gts said:
GD_NC said:
Agreed.

Fwiw:

Historically speaking: For years Mesa made Thiele cabs (and all other cabs) from 5 or 6 ply "Luan" plywood.
Mesa switched to "Baltic Birch" (a 13 ply 3/4" plywood) at some point - probably in the 90's
"Luan" is a cheap Philipino mahogany plywood.

There is no tonal difference for those made with Luan versus "Baltic Birch" or any other plywood for that matter.
I have had both Luan and Baltic Birch Thiele cabs made by Mesa.
And have made a few Thiele cabs with all sorts of plywood including Baltic Birch. No tonal difference

I suspect the reason Mesa started using Baltic Birch is because they began to cut their cabs on a CNC machine.
Baltic Birch plywood has a consistent thickness which is critical when cutting parts on a CNC.

Fwiw Baltic Birch doesn't quite measure 3/4" thick but is around 0.708" thick.
This is because it is actually metric 18mm thick: 18mm = 0.708 inches

Here's a pic of some of the many Thiele cabs (etc) which I have made.
They are similar to the EV plans specs but altered slightly to match Mesa sized Thiele.
Mesa sized are slightly wider and less deep.
The main thing when adjusting the size of the cab is to maintain the internal volume of the Thiele cab. (something like 1.3 cubic feet)

Wow gts thanks your the information and the experience from the cabs you have (that's a nice picture) tomorrow i'll go to buy the wood so i'll post some images here

thanks!

Latest posts

Back