Mesa Boogie Reverb Noise When Switching Channels

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rasj76

Reaction score
Hi All,

I finally took the plunge and got myself a pre-owned Mesa Boogie LSS 2x12. While I'm digging the tones that I get from this box specially after I did a complete re-tube (JJ's and NOS rectifier tubes), the amp is producing a "shooting" sound (which I assume comes from the reverb tank) everytime I switch channels via the footswitch and it's driving me nuts.

I apologize for the descprition of the noise. I find it hard to characterize the sound that the amp produces everytime I switch channels.

Has anybody around here had the same experience with their LSS and how did you guys fix it?

TIA for any input and suggestions on how to solve my problem. :)

Yeah, I think it's been called "reverb splash" around here before. It's really noticable with the gain up high on the 2nd ch.

Yes ... it was actually a bit of an issue with my Lonestar classic ... especially when doing a live recording ..
Oddly enough, I have not noticed it with my new Mark V

Ahhh... Thanks for the input! :)

Does that mean the "reverb splash" is inherent to all Lonestar amps and I just have to live with it??

I can’t remember my gain settings for the 2nd channel but I think it’s set fairly high. I’ll have to check it out again and observe with moderate gain settings.

I notice it when I'm setting up, but never when playing live, so for me it's never been an issue.

I'm noticing this problem lately with my LSS.

my bad since I haven't been using my footswitch that much till now.

I have both reverbs set pretty low, but notice a bit of mushrooming effect of the verb when I switch channels and then it reverts back to it's lower setting. It may also have something to do with the loop since I usually run the loop bypassed. I'll have to experiment.

I'm not a happy camper about this. I will have to experiment with the pre tube to see if this will help settle down this issue.

A440 said:

I have both reverbs set pretty low, but notice a bit of mushrooming effect of the verb when I switch channels and then it reverts back to it's lower setting. It may also have something to do with the loop since I usually run the loop bypassed. I'll have to experiment.

I'm not a happy camper about this. I will have to experiment with the pre tube to see if this will help settle down this issue.

I've been noticing it lately with my Mark V ... it's always there with my Classic ...
Is there such a thing as using too much reverb ...??!!

lucidology said:
A440 said:

I've been noticing it lately with my Mark V ... it's always there with my Classic ...
Is there such a thing as using too much reverb ...??!!

Hi Joseph. I do like a little reverb, and the LSS has some of the best pan reverb I've heard.

I keep mine at about 9 o'clock, so I don't think that's too much! Strange, but I only notice this when I switch from the dirty channel to the clean channel.

I did try switching out the V4 tube, but to no avail. From what others are posting, it's part of the design and all are prone to it. I guess I could get around this by going dry or using something in the loop.

Other than that, I could just use the clean channel with pedals but that defeats the purpose of having a channel switching amp for me. I mostly use single channel amps run clean with pedals in front. Maybe this is the route I should continue to take until I get around to having someone take a look at this. Maybe a tech can address it.

Latest posts

Back