Mesa Boogie MK3 Blue - Odd Size Head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd_88

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Newbie here, also new to MESA in general as I have always been a Marshall & Orange guy. Over the weekend I obtained a Mesa Boogie mark III (Blue Stripe). As I am new to these amps, I don't have too much knowledge on them.

MY question to the forum, why does this MK3 appear to be so tall compared to most? And by most, I mean all the images I can locate on google.
I understand these came in short and long chasis, but this is just tall and odd looking! Please see the below image.

Any help in more info on this amp would be greatly appreciated!

d02taiL.jpg

Looks like someone cut a combo down, it's fairly common as these amps weigh a ton. I had one like that.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100168049@N04/14500524094/in/dateposted-public/

Did you get that near Pittsburgh, PA? Just curious as there was one just like for sale on Craigslist recently that is gone now. If that's it, I recall the ad saying it was a custom made head shell.

Thanks guys. I thought it might have been a cut down combo, the inside is super clean though so perhaps it is just a custom shell.
I am from Australia, so not the one from Craigs List :lol:

I am looking at having it re-shelled, as there is far too much wasted space which will be a pain for road-casing and tours!

jd_88 said:
Thanks guys. I thought it might have been a cut down combo, the inside is super clean though so perhaps it is just a custom shell.
The handle, mounting bolts, corner pieces, and whatever that black covering stuff is don't look like any Mark 3 combo I've seen. If it's cut down, it's been drastically re-worked.

Someone made that head cab taller than stock/ normal.
Why is anyone's guess (re: concern for the tubes heating up and wanting more cooling/ air space around them, inclusion of a reverb tank, etc etc)
A "normal" short head is about 9-1/4" - 9-1/2" tall including the rubber feet.

Latest posts

Back