Mesa/boogie Mark III advise needed (from Italy)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorenzo_8

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Lorenzo.

I have recently bought a Mesa/boogie Mark III blue stripe rackmount version.
The guy who sold it to me changed tubes and had it serviced, by one of the TWO guys who know how to fix guitar amps in my city...

I'm not very into Metallica nor Dream Theater metal, I used to love Nofx (one of them uses this head). Though I love music, so I sometimes play "plam-muting"-based heavy rock'n'roll :twisted:, which this amp seems very suited for.

I have 5 major questions:

-Does tha two el34 make difference? Top tubes suggestions (svetlana, JJ?)? Is it possible to run the amp with 2 tubes instead of 4? (now there are 4 6l6).

-Why does the reverb clip? Increasing the effect in R1 it sounds like a sort of R2 channel with reverb? Wrong tube?

-I have a full stack of marshall vintage series cabinets (1960av & 1960bv). Are these cabs fine for this head? Or should I consider getting a mesa cabinet? This would make THE difference http://www.mercatinomusicale.com/ann/ann.asp/IDA_583097/cassa-4x12-recto-cab-mesa-boogie.htm (I doubt it's a recto, right?)?

-I hate the hum and noises of the lead channel at high gain settings. Isp Tecnologies Decimator ProrackG? Isp Decimato pedal? Anyone had some experiences with combination Mark head-Decimator?

-What guitar is the perfect match? Right now I play with a Washburn strato-style with duncan hotrails in the bridge...
The "good" guitar I have is a Gibson The Paul (which I have to restore, so is not usable yet).
You know:
Marshall Stack = Les pauls;
Fender combos = Fender guitars (I don't like);
Mesa/boogie stack= ?
What i mean is that I'm afraid the Gibson I have is not really the guitar I'm looking for match with this head.

THAT'S IT

thanks for whom arrived till here and to who will be able to help.

Bye
Lorenzo

rabies, do you ever run both the gflex and the 4x12 together as a 3/4 stack? I am thinking about picking up a penn custom 4x12 with weber ceramic silver bells and using it along with my 60's sunn 2x12 with original celestion made in england g12-75T's

Back