mesa boogie for blues

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yagon

Reaction score
I am a bit bewildered by all the models of boogie amps.

I would like to buy a second hand 1x12 combo for blues/rock, with a touch of jazz and funk. I do not play any high gain musical styles.

Which model amps would be best suited to my musical needs?

I understand that the rectifiers are probably too high gain for me - is this correct?

R

loanstars are new a great with all that but if you want a real bluesy mesa check out the blue angel, you wont regret it :wink:

yagon said:
I would like to buy a second hand 1x12 combo for blues/rock, with a touch of jazz and funk. Which model amps would be best suited to my musical needs?
Mark IV!

I don't know what your price range is but the Lonestar is a beautiful sounding amp. So nice that I would deal with it's lack of over the top overdrive just to get the rest...if I had the disposable cash. Even used you're probably looking at $1200 or more. If price is an issue, get an F series...they can be had from 600-800 used depending on model.

yagon said:
I am a bit bewildered by all the models of boogie amps.
I would like to buy a second hand 1x12 combo for blues/rock, with a touch of jazz and funk. I do not play any high gain musical styles.
Which model amps would be best suited to my musical needs?
I understand that the rectifiers are probably too high gain for me - is this correct?

R

My Lone Star Classic (the 50/100 watt version in blue) can get blues from warm to crunch. It also has a nice clean channel that i find myself drawn to more often these days.

I have heard that the RoadKing can get pretty nice blues sounds, but that might be a bit much since it can also get over the top gain. It is also a bit pricey.

cnumb44 said:
... I have heard that the RoadKing can get pretty nice blues sounds, but that might be a bit much since it can also get over the top gain. It is also a bit pricey.
Yes, but then you have the other two channels more gear to high gain stuff. If you are blues player only, these channels you won't use. :?

Can't go wrong with a Lonestar - either Special or Classic

Lonestar...But..... I heard a fantastic jazz/blues/roots player trying out an F30, and he sounded awesome. He told mne how much he liked the amp, and showed me some settings he was using. Really nice cleans, and slightly gritty tones, VERY NICE!
But... The lonestars have AWESOME reverb, and excellent cleans, the special being my favorite, has fantastic clean/grit tones....
ax. :twisted:

All of the choices listed sound good but dont overlook the nomad 55. It is one of the best blues amps out there it works well with a tele or strat and even a les paul for that matter :)

Try a Blue Angel or an F30.
The Blue Angel has progressive linkage and better reverb. Very sweet.

The F30 has channel switching and would probably be cheaper second hand. More versatile.

Both would be a good choice.

I love my Lonestar for blues and rock. I have a Blue Angel but it does'nt get the bottom end the Lonestar gets. Its much tighter.

I have'nt tried the Lonestar Special yet but would think thats a good one to consider.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Heartbreaker. They are getting hard to find but mine has replaced my vintage Fenders for the blues sound!

brentf64 said:
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Heartbreaker. They are getting hard to find but mine has replaced my vintage Fenders for the blues sound!

Your right. I never understood why they stopped making that one. Hard to believe no one wanted them.

Agreed; F-30 might be a great choice. I almost bought one.
BTW if you want a good blues/rock amp without high gain check out Orange :oops:
tele_jas said:
Lonestar or maybe even an F-30.

Latest posts

Back