Mesa Boogie Custom Shop.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomad

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Boogie will buyild a customm circuit for an amp?

Let me specify further.

After Playing the Stiletto Ace Combo a few times I'd like to see if they would build me a custom version.

I had talked to Tien about the Amps some and he explained the different versions. He said the Stage I has the Classic Boogie Dirty sound but the Clean sucks and Vise Versa. He also explained to me the Stage I could be modded to have the same Clean Channel as the current Stage II but that the Stage II could not be modded to a Stage I Dirty Channel and the Stage I only came in a head and wouldnt convert to a combo.

I would really like this current Ace combo with the Clean Channel as is but a Dirty Channel that is Classic Boogie Sustain for Days in a Combo form. Is it that big a deal. :?:

One of the reasons I like this amp so much is the layout and simpleness of it. It has a couple bells and whistles but not much and it just really appeals to me over anything else in their current lineup.

I'm not much the three and four channel amp type and dont like a bunch of bells I dont use. Thats why the Ace is sucj a come on but has that dad burn insanely bright mega gain dirty channel.

I guess Boogie is'nt making a lotta amps for us older traditional guys just the kiddies that buy in bulk.

I think the Ace definitely has the classic boogie sound and the fluid drive mode is 10000000x better than the stage 1. I've owned both and would go with a stage II hands down if I had to do it again. The only thing I preferred o the stage I was that it was less bright and had a darker marshall vibe to it.. but the clean was crap and the fluid drive was pure flub city to me.

You might want to give a Lonestar a shot. The drive channel, especially hit with a bit of boost, is one of the best lead tones available from Mesa IMO. Obviously, its not as gainy as the Stiletto, but that sounds like what you are looking for. Its also not a particularly bright amp in my experience. You might also find the Express series ( or the previous F series) more like what you are looking for.

As far as the main question, to my knowledge Mesa has not done any "custom engineering" on their amps since the original Boogies hand built by Randall Smith. Mesa goes through a lot of effort to get the circuit boards right, it would not be trivial for them to do a one off version.

I've owned two Lonestars.

I think you didnt get part of what I said.

I like the simplenees of the Ace way over the Lonestar. It dosnt have as many bells and whistles and it really appeals to me. The Ace will not get a Classic Boogie Lead tone in the Lead Channel. With the Trebile and Presence turned all the way down it is still too bright.

I talked with Tien at MB and he agreed.

Try a Deuce Stage II. It's not as bright as the Ace and re-tubed with Doug's preamp package it warms up a lot. I found the Ace too bright/brittle sounding personally. The Fluid Drive Mode on my Deuce is every bit as much Classic Boogie as the lead channel on my MKIV was. Except the MK couldn't do the Marshall sound Tite Gain does :)

srf399 said:
The Fluid Drive Mode on my Deuce is every bit as much Classic Boogie as the lead channel on my MKIV was.
I've never tried any stilettos. Can you elaborate a bit on this? I'm finding myself on R2 a lot nowadays.

~trem

I agree the heads arent as Bright. Thats what Tien said though they cant be put into a standard Combo Cab.

This is one thing Boogie has gotten away from. It used to be if you want X you could have it and if you wanted Y as well then OK.

Now with these amps there arent any options to choose fromother than what comes on em. Now granted there are a lot of stuff in em.

The Option I want is a Classic Boogie Lead Channel in the Ace. Thats it nothing else.

Nomad said:
I like the simplenees of the Ace way over the Lonestar.

Out of curiosity, what did you find more complicated in the LS over the Ace? They don't look all that much different to me, and any "complexity" in the Lonestar can be switched out.

sbalderrama said:
Nomad said:
I like the simplenees of the Ace way over the Lonestar.

Out of curiosity, what did you find more complicated in the LS over the Ace? They don't look all that much different to me, and any "complexity" in the Lonestar can be switched out.

OK in detail.

Lonestar Classic.

100 watts.

Switchable 10/50/100 watts.

Autasignable Power.

Those are pretty much the features I dont need and dont want in my Amp.

I'm more of a minimalist when it comes to the bells and whistles.

Thats why I absolutely love what the Ace has to offer in number of features. It has a few yet not too many and not too busy and not as complicated a circuit design.

If that second Channel just didnt sound like *** I would have bought one allready.

Now Tien did tell me the original version's Lead Channel was darker, thicker and more classic Boogie but the Clean Channel sucked. He did say the original version could be modded by changing the Clean Channel to the newer Ace version but the opposite could not be done to the Ace to change the dirty channel.

The draw back to that is the original came in head only and cant be put in the Boogie Combo Cab.

Latest posts

Back