Mesa Boogie 20/20 power amp - convert to 220/240 Volts

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearless

Reaction score
Hi - I wonder if anyone can help me. I want to see how easy it is to convert a US domestic model 20/20 from 117 to 220/240 mains input?

I've done some searching and apparenlty if it is a universal transformer, it just needs re-wiring inside. as it has muliple taps. I'd probaly get a tech to do it. But some Mesas apparently have "US dometic only" transformers which don't have the extra taps.

I can't open the amp up to check - I haven't bought it yet! Just want to buy a US one if I can convert it for Australia without too much trouble/cost.

I do already have a stepdown transfomer, but don't want to lug it around if I can avoid it. Weight saving is part of the whole reason for getting 20/20 in the first place.

Any help would be appreciated.

Following the schematic,
You can change the wiring to have an input voltage for 220V compatibility.

For 120v Black and Brown wires are connected together.
and
Black/yellow and Brown/yellow wires are connected together.

For 220V
remove the connection of Brown and Black/yellow
and connect Brown and black yellow together. put a protection on this connection.

The schematic has been found on internet.
check if you see the same colors in you mesa 20.

Good luck
Steph

Hi.

I'm in hte same boat with my Triaxis and have had two quotes.

Soundworks (Ringwood - Melb, Vic) said anywhere from $100 - $300 - depending on the type of mounting and power supply it has.
The only other authorised boogie repairer quoted over $600 - they didn't want to do it as the importer gives them grief if they help out folk that bring these into the country on the cheap. .

Good luck - let me know how you go.

It seems the same thing of mesa 20.

But i do not have any schematic of power supply schematic.

i Scoot

A do not have a schematic.
BUt email or better call at mesa boogie.
I am sure it will figure it out.

In my triaxis i have 3 wires. Black, gray and white,
is not clear, how to mix.

I hope there are only 2 or 3 solder and unsolder to do.
$50 box maximum.

Let me know, if you solve the problem

There's a 20/20 schematic availlable on the Yahoo Triaxis group, with the PS wiring diagram for 110-220v.

Well I bought a 20/20, tested it first using an isolating tansformer, then did the conversion. I got the details from the jemsite forum.

BUT - it worked OK for a while, jus few minutes use at low volume, and tonight I had the chance to crank it and it blew a fuse. Now the jemsite instructions said change for a 110V 2A fuse to a 250V 1A fuse. Which makes sense.

So I'm worried I've stuffed something up. :(

An ideas? I was only using one channel (with the other right down of course) and about 1/3 volume. There are no bad smells from it so I guess the fuse has done its job. If I try again with another fuse using the other channel, is that fairly safe?

HI Fearless

Could you send the link of the instruction???

first, It should be easier to check.

Thanks

Can't find the link again but here are the photos:
DSC00502.jpg

DSC00501.jpg

2020Primary.jpg

Schematic shortly. Downloaded from here...

http://www.bnv-gz.de/~ooehmann/schematics/mb/20_20.zip

The other things I was told to to do were:
1. Change the 2A fuse to a 250V 1a fuse (twice the voltage, half the amps - makes sense) - but if anyone has an "original" 240V model, I'd be interested to know if it is actually this rating
2. Change the metal oxide varistor (MOV). Mesa wanted to charge $20 for this $1 component, and they won't tell you the specs. So I checked with a tech and was told 275v 40J would be typical, so went with that. It is much smaller thatn the original, but I believe an MOV is a non-critical compnent, there as extra circuit protection in case of extreme voltage spikes.

Mark, or anyone else - if you have any advice I'd sure appreciate it. I notice in the schematic that there are symbols for other componenents in th 240V power supply. Caps, I think? No values though. Since this seems to have worked for others I did not think they were critical but might be more "power conditioning".

Since I never really cranked it up before foing the mod, I guess a possibility is that it has an unrealted fault.

HI Fearless

I suggest, put a 1AMP fuse and at low power, check the supply as good.

OK, so if I understand right - same fuse type and just play with the volume at a low level. I'll do that tomorrow and report back. Thanks

No problem at volume on other channel. Assume therefore not on the power supply side.

I expect the problem is on the power supply.

When you play a high volume, more power are needed from the PS(power supply),

Are you using a Slow blow fuse or lag time fuse? (like recommended)
Do you have a ampmeter?
if yes, to make a measurement on AC at the input.(Like to replace the power switch)
and check the current when you are playing.

If it doesn't work, write to technical mesa boogie,
i am sure it going to help you?

Snoopy551 said:
I expect the problem is on the power supply.

When you play a high volume, more power are needed from the PS(power supply),

Are you using a Slow blow fuse or lag time fuse? (like recommended)
Do you have a ampmeter?
if yes, to make a measurement on AC at the input.(Like to replace the power switch)
and check the current when you are playing.

i am sure it going to help you?
I was using a "slo-blo" fuse initially when it first blew, and for the next time I didn't have one handy so used a regular 1A fuse. I have some more slow blow fuses now, so planning to change it back.

I don't have an ammeter to put in line, but do have an AC current clamp. I think I can borrow one though.

Snoopy551 said:
If it doesn't work, write to technical mesa boogie i am sure it going to help you?

Not quite sure what you're saying there..a typo, methinks - were you saying Mesa technical would be helpful?

Thanks Snoopy. Turns out the conversion is fine. I might have a power tube on the way out, but hammered it for hours on Friday with no issues. Getting new tube set just in case.

BTW I did the deep mode and made it switchable. Not sure whether I like it better with/without, but I can switch one channel at a time which is pretty handy.

Latest posts

Back