mesa and me?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hithere

Reaction score
Hey guys completely new to the forum and mesa but I am drawn to the features of these amps. I asked if any other companies had as many voice options, fan options, and wattage changes. I was told to buy a line 6, So I knew I had to find the mesa forum.

I have a fender twin reverb which allows me to have a great clean and use a lot of pedals to get a vast amount of tones.

Most of my favorite players seemed to have never touched a mesa most being classic guys with ac-30s and various fenders.

I love anything from Tom Pettys tone, Death Cab for Cutie, Fall of Troy, and of course one of my favorites The Edge.

being able to have an amp that is your gigging and recording amp is insane. As far as being able to turn down to 10/5 watts etc is great.

I played an express and lonestar shortly and thought the clean channels were great. this is coming from a guy who uses twins. It wasn't fender but it was a professional sound.

I am really curious if any vox or fender guys came to mesa for the features and maybe having the ability to have a crystal fender clean, and a vox marshally sound. I know mesa has it's own tone but I am just saying.

I guess I am talking about lonestars/expresses and not rectifiers.

so I considering trading in my twin for something more portable with more features, and no one seems to touch mesa on the features........

hithere said:
so I considering trading in my twin for something more portable with more features, and no one seems to touch mesa on the features........
Except for Line 6.....and maybe Behringer. But I suppose it should be assumed we're not talking about digital crap, so they're right out.

Anyway, if you're looking for sound and features, these may be right for you. Of course, shop around! It sucks to buy an amp and a month later realize there's something else that would have worked better for you. Just cause a Mesa works better for your needs than the Fender doesn't mean something won't work even better than that!

I'm a mesa junkie, so i'm probably not impartial enough.. but i love the clean sounds i get from my rectifier preamp/2:100 setup, as well as the cleans from my 50 cal+ combo- run those sounds through some sweet eventide chorus/delay and just pretend i'm in heaven..

Well... in all honesty... I use my LSS 2 x 12 for alot of stuff. But I still lusted after that Vox tone. Therefore, last week I bought a Vox AC30cc2x! As far as a really versatile amp for certain things... I recommend the Blue Angel. I think it's a great amp that responds extremely well to pedals. Generally speaking, you need to narrow your search a tad perhaps. Mesa Boogie's, though incredible sounding amps, don't tend to sound much like any other amps... thank god!

A Lonestar Special seems like it would be a good fit for you.

How's this for an idea: A Lonestar Classic with two Yellow Jacket EL84 converters. You could set the dirty channel for 50w, which would mean you would be running just the EL84s, and your clean sound could be in 100w mode, running 2 6L6s and 2 EL84s. I bet that would sound nice.

When I heard you had a twin I thought oh he should get a RKII then I realized I was just thinking about that clean channel. I'm guessing Recto territory might be a little too bludgeoning for your styles but now I agree Lonestar most likely. Or even Express...Express has a great clean and real tight leads with that contour switch.

The biggest problem and question I have with the twin is obviously the overdrive.

It all depends on a pedal, and I am sure you guys know the overwhelming amount of pedals out there, the boutique ones, the one with tubes, it never ends. Plus there is the discussion is real tube overdrive always above pedal overdrive.

I have a keely modded rat, it is the best thing that I can get out of my twin thus far. It can give me slight to heavy breakup but I still don't feel it gives me the bass response other people's rigs have. Lots just use pedals to push their breaking up amps harder but obviously with a twin, your pedal is your tone.

I like this concept but some people don't believe in tube pedals because they aren't the same circuitry as an amp, which makes it almost a pointless search, not forgetting they are really expensive.

On top of that the twin weighs a ton. I should probably just realize that's why guys have dual amp needing a lot of versatility/diff cabs/speakers/tubes.

My hope though was that a clean palette could be the basis for my tone, and if I had a tube preamp/pedal with tubes running through the twin, I could at least overdrive them, thus making the loud twin a tamed overdriven beast.

I have an LSS and a Rivera Venus 6. I play them both at the same time. The cleans on the Rivera are closer to a Twin. I'm an old twin guy myself. Give Rivera a listen.....

Latest posts

Back