mesa: american vs european models

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ytse_jam

Reaction score
does anyone here know if there's any audible difference between american and european mesa amp models, due to different transformers or other components?

Hi,
I live in Europa, too. One week ago I recieved my third MK IIC+ and changed the power transformer, as I did with my first one. The second is a "worldwide" version with multi voltage stock.
The transformers I use come from www.tubeampdoctor.com . They are quite big and replace Fender transformers, too (TAD 125P34AX).
I clearly prefer the sound of the two TAD loaded amps. They sound warmer and deeper, it seems that they have more reserve. There is a bit more touch sensitivity. Maybe it´s like it is on cars: same horsepower but bigger engine gives more power reserve.
I changed the transformer of my US version MK IVb (TAD 561141) and compared the amp A/B to a friend´s "wordwide" version: same result!
Especially the clean channel sounds clearly better. We had matched tubes in the two amps and same speakers / cabs. The only difference was the transformer and a few years between production.

Two other MK IIc+ amps, a ´77 MK I and an SOB, which I´ve owned, I did run through a pre transformer (230V to 117V). Here I noticed a difference between 100 W, 200 W, 300 W and 500 W versions. Don´t use the 100 W. 500 W was the best, but heavy.

The TAD transformers are ca. 2/3" higher than stock transformers.
A 105 transformer is a bit bigger than other versions.
You can notice a difference in sound between a 100 W and a 500 W pre-transformer.

That´s my experience ...

They look like they are made by the same company Mesa uses currently.[/quote]

as Mesa is useing HighClass components and so is TAD, it´s possible that the transformers come from the same production.
They replace stock transformers of HighClass Amps (Boogie, Fender, Matchless ...). Maybe there is calculated some reserve to fit different amps and that results in a positive kind of oversized replacement.
In my case, I have to change transformers because I live in Europa.
Normally I would try to keep things original. But I´m really happy with the results.
The TAD transformers have an 117 input, too. So if I would live in US and somehow I had to change a transformer of a Boogie or Fender amp, I´d allways choose TAD transformers, no doupt.

the guys from TAD have been German Ruby Tubes sales distrebuter for a long time and founded TAD a few years ago. They still use old connections, I think.

Boogiebabies said:
The original Export was made by Schumacher and was enormous. I have been doing some research trying to nail down the exact maker of the TAD transformer. It looks pretty stout. The sad fact is, Mesa no longer uses Schumacher for their transformers. Another funny side note, a guy was blueprinting a Dumble he had gotten in for service and discovered the OT and PT are in the Ruby Tubes catalog. Go figure.

I call it: "THE IRON GIANT!" AHAHAHA! Very interesting thread indeed.
I still have to place the order for my IIC+ 'multiregion' Power T. Should I go for TAD?! :?

snowman3000 said:
Boogiebabies said:
The original Export was made by Schumacher and was enormous. I have been doing some research trying to nail down the exact maker of the TAD transformer. It looks pretty stout. The sad fact is, Mesa no longer uses Schumacher for their transformers. Another funny side note, a guy was blueprinting a Dumble he had gotten in for service and discovered the OT and PT are in the Ruby Tubes catalog. Go figure.

I call it: "THE IRON GIANT!" AHAHAHA! Very interesting thread indeed.
I still have to place the order for my IIC+ 'multiregion' Power T. Should I go for TAD?! :?

Nicko my friend, where have you been hiding? LA or Italia?

I would say that the TAD would be a good match for you, but it does not appear to be as big as the Iron Giant. If you were to post a pic of your IIC+ PT, people would faint. She's a beauty.

Ciao.

Ed

Boogiebabies said:
Nicko my friend, where have you been hiding? LA or Italia?

I would say that the TAD would be a good match for you, but it does not appear to be as big as the Iron Giant. If you were to post a pic of your IIC+ PT, people would faint. She's a beauty.

Ciao.

Ed

Hey!!! My dear! How are you? I'm LA right now..I'm stuck here 'til sept! I miss my lil boogies so much!!! :cry: :cry: Here I just have a crappy pod 1.0 and my trusty strat. I will send an email to TAD guys and will report to you!

Ciao!!
Nick

P.S. What kind of pre and poweramp tubes do you have on your C+s?

Latest posts

Back