Mesa 4X12 plus (2) 2X12's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AXEnGEAR4J

Reaction score
Just checking to see if I'm on the correct page....It's been awhile as I've been using vintage british amps lately.

In one of my Mesa set up's I intend to run a 4X12 oversize and (2) 2x12's.

Question?
The "Out" on the 4X12 is a "Parallel" out?
Meaning that if I connect or daisy chain from the "out" (8 ohm I'm assuming)to another 8 ohm "in" I maintain 8 ohms?

Same with the 2X12's "parallel out" ?

Ok that's what I originally felt as wiring two speakers together in parallel will cut the ohm in half, series will double. (ohms law).

screamingdaisy said:
When you use the parallel out you have two loads running in parallel, so two 8ohm loads will be 4ohm total.

You could never run two 2x12's and a 4x12 as the load would be to low, well unless you wire the two 2x12's to 16 ohms each, which can be done.

I was thinking about doing the re-wire to 16 ohm cabs...
Would probably sound the best and not so much a mis-match so then better for the amp too.

siggy14 said:
You could never run two 2x12's and a 4x12 as the load would be to low, well unless you wire the two 2x12's to 16 ohms each, which can be done.

AXEnGEAR4J said:
I was thinking about doing the re-wire to 16 ohm cabs...
Would probably sound the best and not so much a mis-match so then better for the amp too.

You can't rewire the cabs to 16ohm without replacing the speakers.

What you can do is build a series box so that the two 8ohm 2x12s run in series, so 16ohm total.

or rewire the two cabs for 32 ohms and run them parallel??
eh..probably wouldn't be a great match for the other channel carrying an 8 ohm load.

have you ever run a "series box" ?

[/quote]
You can't rewire the cabs to 16ohm without replacing the speakers.

What you can do is build a series box so that the two 8ohm 2x12s run in series, so 16ohm total.[/quote]

Why don't you just run the 4x12 + the 2x12 ? If I'm not mistaken, that's a total load of 4 Ohm and should give you more than enough ... volume :)

More than likely that's what I'll end up doing..

UnderJollyRoger said:
Why don't you just run the 4x12 + the 2x12 ? If I'm not mistaken, that's a total load of 4 Ohm and should give you more than enough ... volume :)

Latest posts

Back