Mesa 2x12 Closed vs 3/4 Open back

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boogieslide

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with both the 2x12 Closed back and 2x12 3/4 back cabs? Looking for comparisons between the two.
I play a Tremoverb head into a 2x12 Gflex, but have been considering either adding a second 2x12 or trading up for a 4x12.
I play modern rock with my current band.

Hi i play through a my tremoverb combo through my stand recto 4x12, i find the openback combo lets out alot of the more trebley sounds, and some times appears louder, while the 4x12 gives it the lower punch, that hits u like a wall what u play loud, you can't go roung with a 6 x12 stack LOL! When i bought the cab i played it a few times with just the cab i disconected the combo speakers, when u play drop tuning and when yrou playing loud theres 2 x12 speakers abotu 2-3" away from all these little pre amp valves and some times if ya stick ya head around the back u can hear them screaming in pain, more like a ratling sound, the amp tech when revavlue the pre amp tubes said yeah its normal for a combo, so if your playing alot of drop tuning loudly u might wanan look at gettign ahead) with all that in mind and now the option of unpluging the combo speakers and jsut using the quad, i decided F(@&# it, and ive never looked back, the 6x12 sounds amazing, and the contrast between the open back combo and the closed back 4x12, is somting i really like, if i got a "head" i woudl proberly get an 3/4back 2x12 and do the same thing again.
I hope i helped in some way

Michael

Latest posts

Back