Mesa 2x12 Cabinet Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightypudge

Reaction score
I love my Mesa 4x12, but I need to get a Mesa 2x12 cabinet to use with my Mark IV head for use at rehearsals and smaller venues. I've owned several Rectifier 2x12 cabinets and I know what they sound like. But I've never heard any of the "non-Rectifier" 2x12 open-backed cabinets.

For instance, I saw a Mesa open-back 2x12 with Black Shadows and I'm wondering if perhaps this might be a "better" match for the Mark IV. Believe me, I like the sound of the Rectifier 2x12, but open-back cabs tend to be more airy and open, and that might be a good thing.

Anyone have any experience these 2x12's?

Give the Boogie 2x12 3/4 back a try. It's the best of both worlds, open vs. closed.

I ended up having someone build me a 2x12 with an Dumble like oval port in the back, but they used the Boogie 3/4 back dimensions at my request.
2x12_backsmall.jpg

Chris... 8)

I heard that those old metal-grilled 2x12 vertical halfbacks were killer...

The old metal-grilled 4x12 half backs were nice too.

chedgeco said:
Give the Boogie 2x12 3/4 back a try. It's the best of both worlds, open vs. closed.

I ended up having someone build me a 2x12 with an Dumble like oval port in the back, but they used the Boogie 3/4 back dimensions at my request.
2x12_backsmall.jpg

Chris... 8)

Hey Chris, is that cab from Sultone Amps?

Should I get one of those instead of running through my Marshall 4x12 cabs? Or even before I buy a different 2x12 cab? I have been shopping 2x12 cabs and I honestly think the 1936 cabinet sounds better than the recto 2x12 but you have to change out the g12t-75s for other speakers. I think it is because the 1936 has a little more air volume. The recto 2x12 sound better than the 1922 cab though. These are horizontal comparisons. I have not tried the vertical cabs yet. I would think that the Marshall 2x12 in a 4x12 cab sized cabinet would sound really good. But then again I haven't heard it yet. It could get a little loose. Plus you may as well run a 4x12 anyway for hte same sized box. I have been looking at the recto vert 2x12 and the old mesa vert 2x12. Does anyone have experience with both cabs and the Mark IV?

How about a pic of the front of that beautiful cab?

chedgeco said:
Yes, That cab was made by Sultone. It was a looooonnnngggg wait to get it though.

Here is the front:
2x12_frontsmall.jpg

Wow! that is sexy! I'm thinking of getting a head for my Mark IV. How much and how long did it take?

Thanks!

Nice.....

I might need to sport wood....

I have always thought the natural cabs were really cool looking.

Wow! that is sexy! I'm thinking of getting a head for my Mark IV. How much and how long did it take?

January to September, tooooo loooonnnnggg... :(

I have been super happy with the quality workmanship and the tone is to die for, but Sultone is a one man shop and everything else in life takes a priority over building cabs. I can't fault him for that, but it can seem like forever to get what you've paid for.

Chris... 8)

chedgeco said:

I have been super happy with the quality workmanship and the tone is to die for, but Sultone is a one man shop and everything else in life takes a priority over building cabs. I can't fault him for that, but it can seem like forever to get what you've paid for.

Chris... 8)

Whoa! 8 months to make a cab. That's pretty looooooong IMO. But can't deny that they make awesome cabs.

How much?

what about vertical 2x12 designed for Mark series?is it true you can get nicer mids-highs than the recto 2x12?So would it be a good choice if you don't play only heavy metal?

VoodooChild24 said:
chedgeco said:

Chris... 8)

Whoa! 8 months to make a cab. That's pretty looooooong IMO. But can't deny that they make awesome cabs.

How much?

The final cost was $520.00 including shipping.

chedgeco said:
VoodooChild24 said:
chedgeco said:

Chris... 8)

How much?

The final cost was $520.00 including shipping.

That's a great price IMHO. But 8 months is long for me. It's like you lost an amp already.

$520?

That is pretty reasonable for a finish carpenter/ cabinet maker much less a speaker cabinet company. If you figure that on average a finish carpenter that is a contractor will charge $30-$35/hr plus materials that comes out pretty cheap. I know that to lay up the wood, mill it to thickness, and assemble it alone would be about 8 manhours. You couldn't do it in a day. The adhesive would have to dry over night. Then to route and sand would take another couple hours. Then you would have to finish the wood. This would take another 8 manhours. The wicker grille and other hardware installation would take another couple hours. That is 20 hours already and that is if you are really efficient and didn't waste much time. That would be a minimum of $600 and that doesn't even take care of your materials. The wood he used probably cost him about $100. Then the wicker grille and hardware would probably cost nearly $50. That brings us up to $750. You said he included shipping? There is another $30 plus the cost of packing materials. For the sake of argument, let's call it an even $800. I would call your deal at $520 a steal. I would wait that from Jan-Sep but I think I would not pay for it until it was ready to be shipped if I knew it would take so long.

I could easily make cabinets for a living but the demand isn't high enough for someone that is not established to keep from starving for at least a couple years. I find that I also make better money being a contractor for now. It would be nice to be able to combine my two loves though. I mean to be able to justify playing music during working hours would be cool. I also think that it would be nice to have a shop set up with all the jigs too to aid in producing them a little faster and maybe a nice spray room to do finishes in.

Russ,

You right, the price was incredible and the workmanship is top notch. I only had a problem with the amount of time it took. I was told up front that I could expect a wait of about 8 weeks and was required to put down a 50% deposit.

I would have been completely cool with the whole deal if I had known everything up front. As it is I'm only marginally upset about how long it took because I was promised something completely different.

By the way, that isn't a sprayed on finish it is a hand rubbed oil finish. That thing will smell up any room it's in with that lovely smell. I love it.

Chris... 8)

i've tried out a Marshall 2x12 1936

I read a bunch of reviews some bad some good

I gotta say even with speakers that arent of my preference (75s"

that 2x12 packed QUITE a punch. I ran it with a 20w Marshall HW lead & bass head. The store guy set the volume all the way up for me i, and the cabinet held up VERY well and handled a HELL of a lot of power

Considering how **** loud it was, I didn't really feel the cabinet shake at all cause some people reported that it was built like **** and would rattle all over.

so in a summary, it was **** loud and TIGHT. I don't know how much that $2000 dollar marshall re-issure head came into play, but either way the cabinet handled it.

Only problem is that it is semi 1 directional and it aims towards your legs, but im sure mic'ed up that isn't a problem.

I'm going to most likely buy one next month and change out the speakers to run a 4x12 and 2x12

HEH HEH

Hand Rubbed Oil On Wood

HEH :lol:

With that finish it is worth even more. You got a great deal there on a sweet cabinet. I am envious for sure...

Back