Mesa 2:100 problem. Help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renzo1p

Reaction score
Hey guys!!

I have a Mesa 2:100 and I'm having a problem with it. Maybe someone here might know about this:

I plug my preamp into my power amp and go stereo into my speaker cab. It's always work fine except I did notice that I had to turn channel B a little higher than channel A for them to match in volume. Today I came home and I found that channel A works fine but channel B has very little volume, even if I turn it all the way up, I get very little volume from it. I checked the tubes and they seem fine. Do you know what this could be and what to do about it?? :|

Thank you!!

renzo1p said:
Hey guys!!

I have a Mesa 2:100 and I'm having a problem with it. Maybe someone here might know about this:

I plug my preamp into my power amp and go stereo into my speaker cab. It's always work fine except I did notice that I had to turn channel B a little higher than channel A for them to match in volume. Today I came home and I found that channel A works fine but channel B has very little volume, even if I turn it all the way up, I get very little volume from it. I checked the tubes and they seem fine. Do you know what this could be and what to do about it?? :|

Thank you!!

Waht kinda preamp?

Hmm since you checked the tubes something could be up with the outputs of the ENGL.

Are you running out of the two regular outputs on the E530? Maybe try running out of the frequency compensated outs and see if that does anything. Yeah it will sound different but it will narrow it down if it might be one of the regular outputs that is causing the problem.

Yes, i am running the two regular line outputs of the preamp. Yesterday I gave the 2:100 to my guitar player so that he could take it to an authorized Mesa technician near his place tomorrow. He called me up today telling me he tried to hook it up to his rig and it works just fine.

When I get it back I will go ahead and do what you say. In case there is something wrong with the preamp, do you know what the steps to take would be to take care of that problem?

Thank you!

Is your preamp under warranty?

There is a ENGL repair place in the Delray Beach area and that are great to deal with.

it should be since I bought it last year in August. I did not get any warranty card or anything like that. But I got it new from Rock Solid Amps who is an authorized Engl dealer. I hope they can help me fix it if there is anything wrong with it. What is the place in Delray Beach called??

Thank you for you help! :)

The place is called Alpha Kenetix. This is their e-mail [email protected]

Actually they are specifically in Pompano.

I had a channel switching issue with my 530 and I spoke with them about it and they were great. I ended up not needing a fix because the problem stopped but they were still great. Also Velvet Distribution are the people to talk to about registering your warranty with. Their e-mail is [email protected] They are located in Naples. I spoke with Michael there and he was a great help too.

No problem. I hope you get things working because the 530 is a sweet preamp.

I'm in the process of saving up for a 2:90 or 2:100 to use with my 530. I can't wait to use it with a good power amp.

Funny, my questions were heading toward the preamp... I had a similar volume inbalance problem and the issue was my preamp.

Glad you got it all sorted out.

renzo1p said:
Yeah, I automatically assumed it was the power amp since it was a volume issue. What was exactly wrong with your preamp?? How did you fix it?? Thank you!

It's a long story... In a nutshell, I live in Northern California a little over an hour from the Mesa factory. Took in my power amp. They couldn't find anything wrong with it. Put it back in my rack. Same problem. I was pissed. Thought they hadn't fixed it. Called them back and was a total ******* about it. They suggested I bring my whole f'n rig to the factory so we could isolate the problem.

Anyway, ended up being the "live outout" pot on my Preamp. Apparently, because of the stereo outs, the pot has two paddles in it and they are seldom perfectly aligned. At low volume settings the paddles are farther "apart" in the sweep of the pot, the official fix from Mesa? "Just turn it up a little more"... No joke.

I think I had a thread on here about it... Here... http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16488

and on another forum http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20824

again with this said:
renzo1p said:
Yeah, I automatically assumed it was the power amp since it was a volume issue. What was exactly wrong with your preamp?? How did you fix it?? Thank you!

It's a long story... In a nutshell, I live in Northern California a little over an hour from the Mesa factory. Took in my power amp. They couldn't find anything wrong with it. Put it back in my rack. Same problem. I was pissed. Thought they hadn't fixed it. Called them back and was a total ******* about it. They suggested I bring my whole f'n rig to the factory so we could isolate the problem.

Anyway, ended up being the "live outout" pot on my Preamp. Apparently, because of the stereo outs, the pot has two paddles in it and they are seldom perfectly aligned. At low volume settings the paddles are farther "apart" in the sweep of the pot, the official fix from Mesa? "Just turn it up a little more"... No joke.

I think I had a thread on here about it... Here... http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16488

Are you serious? The only fix is to turn it up? I have the SAME **** problem and I've been trying to figure out how to freaking fix it..... Is there NO WAY to fix it without turning it up? GAH! I want to be able to turn the LIVE OUTPUT knobs DOWN and the preamp volume UP. I absolutely use the Rec Pre inputs and I don't want to use the standard ins because it DEFINITELY sounds different... Presence and all I guess.... Can you order another pot and that might fix it? I am really disappointed that there is no real fix for this....

mikeymike said:
again with this said:
renzo1p said:

Are you serious? The only fix is to turn it up? I have the SAME **** problem and I've been trying to figure out how to freaking fix it..... Is there NO WAY to fix it without turning it up? GAH! I want to be able to turn the LIVE OUTPUT knobs DOWN and the preamp volume UP. I absolutely use the Rec Pre inputs and I don't want to use the standard ins because it DEFINITELY sounds different... Presence and all I guess.... Can you order another pot and that might fix it? I am really disappointed that there is no real fix for this....

Okay, technically, they offered to comb through a bunch of pots to find one that was much closer aligned at lower settings... I declined. Had enough of it by that point. I have to say the Mesa folks really went the extra mile figuring out what the source of the problem was...

In short, the real fix is replace the output pot to one that is more aligned in the range of desired use. Of course, your mileage may vary. I am sure if you contact Mesa, they will either do the repair as needed or sell you a pot and refer you to a tech in your area.

BTW, IMO, the standard, non-recto inputs sound way better and I prefer to have ALL of the volume and presence controls active. I HATE that the Recto inputs disable the power amp controls. It takes all the "rack mount" "separate piece" thing out of the equation... I mean, just get a head if you are running in "Recto mode" to the power amp.

Anyway, I hope sharing my experience helps you guys.

again with this said:
Okay, technically, they offered to comb through a bunch of pots to find one that was much closer aligned at lower settings... I declined. Had enough of it by that point. I have to say the Mesa folks really went the extra mile figuring out what the source of the problem was...

In short, the real fix is replace the output pot to one that is more aligned in the range of desired use. Of course, your mileage may vary. I am sure if you contact Mesa, they will either do the repair as needed or sell you a pot and refer you to a tech in your area.

BTW, IMO, the standard, non-recto inputs sound way better and I prefer to have ALL of the volume and presence controls active. I HATE that the Recto inputs disable the power amp controls. It takes all the "rack mount" "separate piece" thing out of the equation... I mean, just get a head if you are running in "Recto mode" to the power amp.

Well I don't like how it sounds when I use the standard inputs. I'm not sure what it is. I know that a 12ax7 is bypassed in the 2:100 when you do this and the phase is altered because if you plug one into the Recto-Specific input and one into the regular input they are WAY out of phase with each other. I know that racks are versatile but, I really enjoy the fact that you can get a very authentic signal path by using the recto inputs when using the rectifier preamp. I like the fact that it's stereo more than the fact that it's a rack. I would trade my rig for two Dual Rectifiers but obviously that is a humongous rip off for the person who would trade me so, I'll make do with the 2:100 and Recto Pre.

So is it possible to get a pot that DOES have even volumes all throughout? If it's possible I'd definitely like to do that. How come other preamp manufacturers don't have this problem... What are they doing that makes theirs work?

mikeymike said:
again with this said:

Well I don't like how it sounds when I use the standard inputs. I'm not sure what it is. I know that a 12ax7 is bypassed in the 2:100 when you do this and the phase is altered because if you plug one into the Recto-Specific input and one into the regular input they are WAY out of phase with each other. I know that racks are versatile but, I really enjoy the fact that you can get a very authentic signal path by using the recto inputs when using the rectifier preamp. I like the fact that it's stereo more than the fact that it's a rack. I would trade my rig for two Dual Rectifiers but obviously that is a humongous rip off for the person who would trade me so, I'll make do with the 2:100 and Recto Pre.

So is it possible to get a pot that DOES have even volumes all throughout? If it's possible I'd definitely like to do that. How come other preamp manufacturers don't have this problem... What are they doing that makes theirs work?

To each their own brother.

Maybe other manufacturers "screen" their parts with more scrutiny. I could only guess.

I get the impression that all pots are going to be off in a certain range. IMO, I would rather have that imbalance in the higher, less usable range (at least for me). Call Mesa. I bet they will help you out.

I hope you can resolve your volume issues to your liking.

again with this said:
To each their own brother.

Maybe other manufacturers "screen" their parts with more scrutiny. I could only guess.

I get the impression that all pots are going to be off in a certain range. IMO, I would rather have that imbalance in the higher, less usable range (at least for me). Call Mesa. I bet they will help you out.

I hope you can resolve your volume issues to your liking.

Hey thanks. I just had a thought, maybe other preamps are dual volume pots for their outputs? I think I will call them tomorrow and ask for a good pot. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back