Maxing volumes on a 50 watt Mesa head/channel RK1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Koprofag,

You crank your ROV w/ Output 1 (o'clock) and Master 12 and max Bass, Gain 12 and all else set to zero? Dial out the Treble and Mids completely? I'm going to give this a whril and see if it peels the paint. :idea:
+1...to Could someone perhaps discuss whether Mesas are preamp amps or not, and what would actually be dangerous to the circuits and why?

Koprofag said:
Clutch, yepp those are the settings I use atm. However, I use a hot plate set to -4 dB to clean up the sound (otherwise a bit big for the 2x12). I also use EL34. Sloppy clip at http://www.myspace.com/orbdoom

Yup, I'm trying it! :evil: Don't have the hotplate yet. Drop C tuning?

Channel 3 of my RKI is set at 50 watt EL34 and I *love* it. I rarely get it that loud though. I can't imagine any reason for it. We play large venues around here. Places like The Hard Rock Cafe and other large bars are on our regular rotation and I can't think of a single reason why I would need that much power. I have it set at about 6 or 7 at these places. Our band has about 3 sound men that we use on a regular basis. I know them, and trust them to get the best sound out front that can be had. If our stage volume was that loud we wouldn't be able to hear the vocal monitors. We play several songs that require three part harmonies (Journey, Eagles, etc) so that would be counter productive for our band.

I can't imagine that doing any type of damage to a Rk though. To tell the truth, if that guys story is true...and I have no reason to doubt it...Boogie should be ashamed at designing something that poorly. Why give an amp that much power if it isn't capable of handling it? It just doesn't make sense to me.

In years past, my main amp was a 1971 Marshall 50 watt head. I ran that thing at nose bleed volumes for 10 years and never had a problem.

I think it's a load of crap if Mesa is going to void anybody's warranty for diming their amps like that guy w/ the Stiletto.

They need to either beef up their transformers or put some kind of limiter on the amp so you can't crank it. At the very least they should put a warning in the manual, which to my knowledge, they don't.

*DOPEMAN* said:
At the very least they should put a warning in the manual, which to my knowledge, they don't.

For some reason I thought there was something about it in some of the manuals.

Koprofag said:
...The strange thing is that with EVERYTHING set to maybe 1-2 o'clock on channel 2, the preamp probably couldn't handle it. That's roughly 70%, just before a typical tube amp reaches its sweet spot.

+1! It muds out trust me. That's why I can't wait to give it a try! Going to be a while though, traveling this week so no auditorium cranking.

A tuning huh, well I was a half step off.

Latest posts

Back