Marshall JCM 2000 TSl fizzy distortion?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris20ire

Reaction score
I have a Marshall JCM 2000 TSL and the clean and crunch is good but the lead is really fizzy no matter what I do with the knobs,not like any other amp I have.I use a strat so the sound isn't heavy but that's fine.It's this fizziness that gets to me.Could it be tubes?

Mine is fine on the lead channel. I using USA Stratocaster with Kinman Woodstock pups. I gig with the Boogies but the TSL100 is at our practice hall and i use it every wednesday at full volume.

I suggest you check the tube bias, In my view you have something wrong with it.

Its not the tubes, its the amp. The TSL is one of the more fizzy Marshalls. I used to own one but eventually got rid of it because it was too fizzy a la the Boogie rectifier series.

What i found is that you have to run the gain at no more than 3 (out of 10)... tweak the EQ (cant remember my settings) and play super lound with a tube screamer-ish pedal in front for some really thick heavy tone.

Also, if you have V30 speakers expect another layer of fizz. :)
I found the stock speakers sound good with the amp. I was running mine through a Boogie cab loaded with C90s in an effort to combat some of the uncontrollable high end fuzz...

Its not a bedroom volume amp as far as getting really good heavy tones at low volumes.

Another thing I noticed is that when I switch from crunch or lead to clean,my clean disappears for about 2 seconds before gaining volume again!And after about 10 minutes of play a buzzing starts in the amp which is most prominent in the clean channel.But I can't understand the logic behind releasing a range of amps that produce this kind of distortion.My old MG HDFX is capable of better.

Another thing I noticed is that when I switch from crunch or lead to clean,my clean disappears for about 2 seconds before gaining volume again!And after about 10 minutes of play a buzzing starts in the amp which is most prominent in the clean channel.But I can't understand the logic behind releasing a range of amps that produce this kind of distortion.My old MG HDFX is capable of better.

If there is buzzing in the amp (Where is the buzzing coming from, the speaker?) and the clean cuts out when you switch channels you may actually have a problem with the amp. You could try changing tubes, try another TSL out at a local music store to see if it exhibits the same behavior, or take it in to get serviced.

Marshalls are typically fuzzy, especially the "high gain" Marshalls which the TSL claims to be.... but it shouldnt buzz

I'll weigh in on my JCM 2000 DSL (close to a TSL, but different). I like the clean/gain, but find the lead channel thinner & fizzy as well. In my experience with amps once you get the fizz, you don't get rid of the fizz, it's just how the amp sounds. So I use the clean/crunch channel, and reserve the "fizz channel" for solos only. Works ok for me that way. That clean channel coming in late and buzzing doesn't sound right though.

chris20ire said:
Marshall had a ton of problems with the footswitch on the TSLs. It has to do with how the plug is setup in the back of the amp and disturbing a circuit board.

I had a TSL122 for a while. I bought it at GC, and eventually returned it before my 30 days were up........

Did you just notice the fizz or was it always there? New strings maybe? fretbuzz?

I find my JP6 into my Mark V fizzy on lead work on the IIc+ channel - sometimes anoys the snot out me, but it's not bad at all with my Les Paul or my Jackson. Maybe try a different axe / pup.

Some amps are fizzy, has nothing to do with strings, speakers (although they can reduce but not kill the fizz), guitars, speaker directivity, tubes, etc.

The TSL is just one of those amps. The DSL is slightly less fizzy and generally more desirable.

The only thing I was able to do to combat the fizz was to crank the volume and LOWER the gain!!!! I ran my gain at 9 O'clock. The TSL sounded awesome with the volume up and the gain down. (Add a tubescreamer if you'd like more gain.) The TSL is not a bedroom volume amp. There was also some shift button or something like that that added muddiness... keep that in mind. Oh, and whatever you do, stay away from V30's with this amp!!!!!!! Trust me. :lol:

I talked to Marshall,they assured me this not how the amp should sound,they reckon it's either preamp tubes,output tubes,a dodgy capacitor or it needs to be re-biased.They reccomend I find someone in my area to service it because the nearest Marshall guy is too far away and they said it would cost me too much.But now I don't know if I should fork out for a service because alot of people are saying this is how the amp sounds.

chris20ire said:
I talked to Marshall,they assured me this not how the amp should sound,they reckon it's either preamp tubes,output tubes,a dodgy capacitor or it needs to be re-biased.They reccomend I find someone in my area to service it because the nearest Marshall guy is too far away and they said it would cost me too much.But now I don't know if I should fork out for a service because alot of people are saying this is how the amp sounds.

I didn't... And I play the hell out of mine right there with the boogies. BUT I play mine with a heavy crunch classic rock timbre. I don't dime the preamps for heavy metal stuff etc.

Mine sounds nothing like you desribed. I use all three channels too.

Get it fixed man.

peace

There is a difference between a fizzy amp and a broken amp.

My advice to you is to find another TSL somewhere (music store, friend, etc) and see if it sounds the same as yours!

Good luck!

The TSL100 was my main amp in the hard rock band I played in. The guys liked the sound a lot with the EMG pups. Brutal EL34 hard-rock/metal. Not very responsive and organic although it does have a very good clean channel (for a Marshall!)

Do yourself a favor and get a Rivera S120 or similar, sick EL34-based stereo amp. Kills that TSL or DSL series, sounds like a Marshall but with way more bass on tap and features...

Latest posts

Back