MarkIV or Roadking???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richb

Reaction score
Ok this is a on going thread on the J.P forum and I just wanted a difference of opinion from maybe some guitarist other than just fans of J.P.

Which do you prefer and why.
OR what have you heard of these 2 amps..

Which is all around top of the line in MESA too you?

Thx,
richb
www.myspace.com/richbrymer

Both are amazing amps, but are voiced differently. I don't know which one I prefer, I go back and forth every day of which one I like better. Both can do pretty much any style with enough tweaking. I'd go for the Road King out of the two, because of all tube and power options available on each channel and being able to choose between sets of cabs for each channel as well. As far as the tightness and articulation of the Mark IV, you can get it out of a Rectifier as well, just choose your cabs/speakers carefully.

Depends if you want more of a rhythm tone or a lead tone..

the recto, when dialed in extremely well, has an amazing rhythm tone
but nothing matches the Mark IV's leads

I have a RKII but I just picked up a used Mark III. Now I have the best of both worlds. That may be another option if you want to spend the extra bucks.

I cannot speak for the Mark series.....but I hate my JP musicman through a Road king or Dual rec . Sounds horribly thin compared to a Les Paul custom.......

I don't own a RK.

I do own a Mark IV and a 2 ch DR. Would I own a RK? If I was more into modern stuff I might.

I prefer the tight articulate nature of the Mark IV. I also prefer the liquid leads of the Mark IV. I do play my DR but not as often though I dial it pretty tight when I do. I mainly got the DR for a slightly entended bottom and to do more modernish sludging with. My chugging primarily comes from my Mark IV though.

I suppose if you want all the options that the RK can give but are not as concerned about the tightness and articulation at gain levels then you might like the RK.

The MKIV has the most amazing lead sound... Every time I plug in and turn it on I get the warm and fuzzies and think to myself... how few people actually get a sound like this through their gear. In my opinion... with a MKIV you need a nice delay/reverb unit for it cause the unit in the amp is the shitz!

dodger916 said:
For me, it's the Mark IV. Aside from its very broad palette, its tightness and articulation are unmatched. I'm no expert, but I haven't played anything quite like it.

+1, but the RK II is much more versatile. If $$s is not an obstacle, you need to own both :D

To me anyways, the Road King clearly is far more flexible and ultimately capable. But at the same time it definitely doesn't hold your hand and lead you automatically to the holy grail of tone and playability. It seems very sensitive and fussy that you have everything in reasonable working order, including your chops and only then lets you really cut loose with whatever expressive style you want at the moment. But then it is pure magic.

I can understand and sympathize with Mark IV users. It's nice to have something in such a small, simple package that gives comparatively instant satisfaction assuming you've set the controls before hand.

I'll submit these observations in hopes that they are fair and balanced:

Mark IV weaknesses: Easily sounds lifeless or dated if not configured to perfection. Has more compression in lead mode so you lose much dynamics comparatively. Has only 2 independent channels and no reverb. Tends to want to be used either very clean or with very heavy gain.

Mark IV strengths: Provides a very likable feel and sound in lead mode - thick but clear, smooth, detailed, focused gain and sustain. Has more compression in lead mode than most RK channels which makes things feel smoother, warmer and friendlier.

Road King weaknesses: Easily sounds brutish or excessive. Much more sensitive to speakers, pickups, cables, guitar's set up and playing technique. Has many things to ponder over or experiment with. Has less compression in all modes except Modern which makes it less forgiving and harder to get to a level of playability. The heavily compressed Modern mode doesn't have a particularly friendly, warm, likable sound.

Road King strengths: Can provide a total spectrum of gain settings and a myriad of switchable possibilities and voices. Can get very close to the sound of nearly all our favorite classics. Cops classic Marshall sounds and then some. Is a reasonable, but fuller sounding replacement for a classic Fender amp. Has exceptional dynamics which are fully configurable in nearly all channels.

I think the question by itself can't really be answered. It all depends on your particular requirements and what you're willing to compromise on in return for some other benefit.

P.S. Contrary to conventional logic I think I'd choose a Mark IV for playing heavier rhythmic things that don't require the bass thump and a Road King for lead/solo work.

one of my favorite bands has a lead guitar player that plays a two ch. triple rec. granted its a different amp than the RK it's still in the recto family. the band is the expendables. try to find them on youtube or something. He uses some delay and eq pedal. analog delay like a slapback speed and just a boss ge-7. its a great brutal searing type of lead i think.

Well, I use the Roadking II, it is the most versatile amp i have ever used. Its basically several mesa amps in one. You get the single rec, dual rec, lonestar, a little of the stilletto, and a whole different beast when mixing 6l6's and el34's that no other mesa amp can duplicate. There is nothing and I mean nothing this amp cant cover. Choose the style of music you wanna play and have no worries the roadking will deliver. Whether its death metal, country, pop, jazz, whatever. Mark IV is a great amp too, just a different beast. Alot of ppl make the mistake of saying that their amps cant do certain tones, and they dont realize its their guitar and not the amp. The common mistake is that rectos are muddy, and that is definitely not the case, most ppl really dont know how to eq their amp, and metal heads are the worse thing to happen to tone since line 6 starting making the pod.

Well, I use the Roadking II, it is the most versatile amp i have ever used. Its basically several mesa amps in one. You get the single rec, dual rec, lonestar, a little of the stilletto, and a whole different beast when mixing 6l6's and el34's that no other mesa amp can duplicate. There is nothing and I mean nothing this amp cant cover. Choose the style of music you wanna play and have no worries the roadking will deliver. Whether its death metal, country, pop, jazz, whatever. Mark IV is a great amp too, just a different beast. Alot of ppl make the mistake of saying that their amps cant do certain tones, and they dont realize its their guitar and not the amp. The common mistake is that rectos are muddy, and that is definitely not the case, most ppl really dont know how to eq their amp, and metal heads are the worse thing to happen to tone since line 6 starting making the pod.

ToneAddictJon said:
Both are amazing amps, but are voiced differently. I don't know which one I prefer, I go back and forth every day of which one I like better. Both can do pretty much any style with enough tweaking. I'd go for the Road King out of the two, because of all tube and power options available on each channel and being able to choose between sets of cabs for each channel as well. As far as the tightness and articulation of the Mark IV, you can get it out of a Rectifier as well, just choose your cabs/speakers carefully.

I agree with toneaddict...you can't really go wrong with either of these amps. Both are great in their own right. It really comes down to what tones you personally prefer. I would try to get into a Guitar Center or local music shop that carries boogies and try out a mark series amp as well as a recto...and see which tone suits your personal prerence the best. Goodluck! :mrgreen:

Man, that would be AMAAAAAZZZZZINNNGGG to have both a Mark AND a Recto pumping at the same time! I would prob use one for rhythm and one for solos if it were me though. Using both at the same time would just be to show off... Haha.

123thefirst said:
Mark IV weaknesses: Easily sounds lifeless or dated if not configured to perfection. Has more compression in lead mode so you lose much dynamics comparatively. Has only 2 independent channels and no reverb. Tends to want to be used either very clean or with very heavy gain.
Sorry man, don't mean to be a Mark IV Nazi, but you might wanna get your facts straight first.

~trem

are you saying there's more than 2 channels then? is there 3? from what I can put together from what i remember it seems like there's 6 if you include the eq heh..

trem said:
123thefirst said:
Sorry man, don't mean to be a Mark IV Nazi, but you might wanna get your facts straight first.

~trem

The "Rhythm 1 and 2" channels share bass and mid controls, or something to that effect, don't they?

Latest posts

Back