MarkIIIC+ HELP!!!!!!!! LOL

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

animusofabbas

Reaction score
Hey guys here's the gig. I bought a mark III Off of ebay a while ago got it sounded muddy like garbage needed new tubes and the tolex was messed up. I sent it over to boogie For new tubes and some things. They recapped it, Put new pots and jacks in it, brand new mint looking tolex, Did a r2 mod plus the c+ thang that mike B is known for. I spoke to him cool *** dude. I got this brand new amp and its def not working out. Ive played a mark IV Before so im not completly lost with the controls. I cant get a good heavy guitar tone out of it. Its the loudest amp i have ever played, but Im looking for some good old heavy *** dist chuggin.Has anyone gotton good heavy chigging sounds outta it or is this stricly for lead playing? Im thinking about selling the thing and getting somthing else. I cant imagine anyone playing this thing and getting good sounds at it at normal volumes? How is el34s? with it? Would they break up and give it a gain boost? WHats the deal? Just not that amp for that?

I just got a bluestripe m3 with the iiic+ and r2 mods. when i first played through it, it seemed a little muddy to me too. what I did was put the lows on zero and then used the eq to reshape the freq's. that really tightened it up. it has a heavy crunch and sounds really good. probably a better overall tone than my m4, with just a little less gain/crunch.

I've got a red stripe with the R2 mod and I play a lot of 7 string with it, so I needed to be able to dial in a good "heavy chugga " sound out of it or I would've just stayed with my rectoverb. I keep the presence down at 2-3
the bass down to 2 and the mids up at 5-6, then EQ with the GEQ.
when I want to go really heavy, I turn the gain on the amp down to about 5 and use a modded SD-1 in front (level dimes gain on zero) just to soup up the signal coming into the pre amp, and throw my MXR 10 band EQ in the loop and "shape" it even more. It sounds great (almost recto-ish) but with no mud. I can get a great lead tone and rhythm tone with mine, so just be patient and do some tweaking. it's in there some where.

Try these out:

http://www.chain-metal.nl/mark3/metallica.html

The Mark III's are more than capable Metal amps, for both rhythm & lead! I think aside from the amp you'll definitely need at least a 2X12 but a 4X12 would be perfect, pick ups also help huge! I personally like EMG 81's in the bridge, a solid mahogany guitar's also ideal, Les Paul or ESP or something will help too!

But any decent guitar into the Mark III into a 2 or 4 X 12 will get you chuggin no prob!

Take a look at the above settings you'll find they are all very similar to one another, tweak em and you can develop your own in no time.

animusofabbas said:
Hey guys here's the gig. I bought a mark III Off of ebay a while ago got it sounded muddy like garbage needed new tubes and the tolex was messed up. I sent it over to boogie For new tubes and some things. They recapped it, Put new pots and jacks in it, brand new mint looking tolex, Did a r2 mod plus the c+ thang that mike B is known for. I spoke to him cool *** dude. I got this brand new amp and its def not working out. Ive played a mark IV Before so im not completly lost with the controls. I cant get a good heavy guitar tone out of it. Its the loudest amp i have ever played, but Im looking for some good old heavy *** dist chuggin.Has anyone gotton good heavy chigging sounds outta it or is this stricly for lead playing? Im thinking about selling the thing and getting somthing else. I cant imagine anyone playing this thing and getting good sounds at it at normal volumes? How is el34s? with it? Would they break up and give it a gain boost? WHats the deal? Just not that amp for that?

Is it a head or combo?

Which speaker(s) are you using, what type of cabinet?

What do you consider "normal" volume?

And yes, Mike Bendinelli is a very cool *** dude :D .

ill check my settings tomorow at the studio tom. I tried it with a marshall 4x12 vint 30's way too much bite. boogie oversized recto strate 4x12 sounded better. emg 81s in bridge and another with 85 in the bridge. I have several other mesas and diezel etc. So im not a total newb when it comes to amps which is really killing me this is like a totally different amp Im going to mess with it tomorow. Ill keep you guys posted. What should the r2 volume be at in the back? I tune to drop B. If i dont crank the master vol , It just doesnt have any gain to it. Ill try some of those setting already btw did sound better but not Massive u know. Im going to try and juice it maybe?

I don't have to crank mine all that loud to get good gain. what footswitch(es) are you using. I don't have one for mine at the moment, so I'm using a patch cord shorting the tip -> ground w/ gator clips ;)

R2???? first of all get on the lead channel, for now forget R2. make sure the volume on the clean channel is up to at least 7 (It controls the overall gain of the amp)
From left to right try
8/7/2/5/2/8/3./ Presence 2-3 The GEQ on with the sliders in a V every dial pulled except the Middle dial. if that doesn't get the amp going somethings up.

animusofabbas said:
ill check my settings tomorow at the studio tom. I tried it with a marshall 4x12 vint 30's way too much bite. boogie oversized recto strate 4x12 sounded better. emg 81s in bridge and another with 85 in the bridge. I have several other mesas and diezel etc. So im not a total newb when it comes to amps which is really killing me this is like a totally different amp Im going to mess with it tomorow. Ill keep you guys posted. What should the r2 volume be at in the back? I tune to drop B. If i dont crank the master vol , It just doesnt have any gain to it. Ill try some of those setting already btw did sound better but not Massive u know. Im going to try and juice it maybe?

Im not using any pedal at all. Just going strate into the amp, Ill give it a try tom thanks guy i let you know how it is. Does anyone have any heavy clips of the mark III I mean really heavy not eye of the tiger metal lol ;-)

animusofabbas said:
Im not using any pedal at all. Just going strate into the amp, Ill give it a try tom thanks guy i let you know how it is. Does anyone have any heavy clips of the mark III I mean really heavy not eye of the tiger metal lol ;-)

this isn't my clip bu these are prety much the settings I qouted up above (his settings for this clip)

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5877313

phyrexia said:
Are you sure you're in the Lead channel? It is very easy to get endless sustain at TV volumes with a III.

As long as you don't hit the channel footswitch :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

With the 5-band EQ, you should be able to "chug" at a low volume, but you will have to adjust your settings as you turn up the amp.

BTW, am I the only ******* that uses .010's and tunes to E standard anymore? :roll: :wink:

Some of the videos that I've seen around here are overloaded with gain, to the point that you can't tell if they're playing a Strat, a Les Paul, or a hollow body. EVH's electric piano (through the Marshall) on "And the Cradle Will Rock" sounds more like a guitar than some of this ****.

Sorry for my rant. :cry:

Hey guys thanks a million i ofund the problem, input jack was loose on the inside, Dont know how maybe in shipping it came loose? they replaced all the jacks but i got some def better tones with it, Def some gain, For me the lead sounds so fluid really nice. The overall amp is not really for my taste thought i think im going to post it for sale. What does a green stripe III+ go for? Everything mint? 1000-1200?

animusofabbas said:
The overall amp is not really for my taste thought i think im going to post it for sale. What does a green stripe III+ go for? Everything mint? 1000-1200?

That price range is reasonable. I hope you kept the receipt from MESA detailing the repairs/mods, as it will help with the sale. If you have all three footswitches and an amp cover with it, someone might give $1200, even with the economy sucking wind :cry: . If it doesn't sell, you could always keep it in case you wanted to start a "Survivor" tribute band. :lol: :lol: :lol:

JOEY B. said:
phyrexia said:
Are you sure you're in the Lead channel? It is very easy to get endless sustain at TV volumes with a III.

As long as you don't hit the channel footswitch :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

With the 5-band EQ, you should be able to "chug" at a low volume, but you will have to adjust your settings as you turn up the amp.

BTW, am I the only ******* that uses .010's and tunes to E standard anymore? :roll: :wink:

Some of the videos that I've seen around here are overloaded with gain, to the point that you can't tell if they're playing a Strat, a Les Paul, or a hollow body. EVH's electric piano (through the Marshall) on "And the Cradle Will Rock" sounds more like a guitar than some of this sh!t.

Yeah, it's sad isn't it.

JOEY B. said:
phyrexia said:

9's in standard E and 10's in E flat.
I use my 7 strings when I need to hit lower stuff, but I actually like to play lead :roll: so putting 13's on and tuning down to C ain't gonna cut it with me.
My 7 strings handle the low stuff quite nicely and I don't lose the upper register notes. :D
I hear what you're saying,
I want my gutiar to actually sound like a guitar.

Latest posts

Back