Mark V + Xotic BB Preamp Midboost

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I am not normally a boost guy period, and especially not with the Mark V, but a recent purchase of mine has changed that. I recently got the Xotic BB Preamp with the Midboost knob, and I have to say, its like there is some sort of magic synergy between this pedal and the V. I've tried other pedals before as boosts (OCD, tubescreamers, etc.) and have never liked any of them. But the BB is a whole new story. On channel 2 in crunch mode, with that pedal boosting it is seriously some of the best tones I have gotten out of my Mark bar none. For high gain metal stuff, its a bit much for my guitar with active SD blackouts, but with my Horizon with passives, it rocks for that application as well. Just thought I would share this little discovery I made. Seriously these two together rock! 8)

spawnofthesith said:
Let me preface this by saying I am not normally a boost guy period, and especially not with the Mark V, but a recent purchase of mine has changed that. I recently got the Xotic BB Preamp with the Midboost knob, and I have to say, its like there is some sort of magic synergy between this pedal and the V. I've tried other pedals before as boosts (OCD, tubescreamers, etc.) and have never liked any of them. But the BB is a whole new story. On channel 2 in crunch mode, with that pedal boosting it is seriously some of the best tones I have gotten out of my Mark bar none. For high gain metal stuff, its a bit much for my guitar with active SD blackouts, but with my Horizon with passives, it rocks for that application as well. Just thought I would share this little discovery I made. Seriously these two together rock! 8)

I like it for smoothing out the tone, normally I prefer raw but it has its uses. My bb doesn't have a mid boost though. Sure its a different animal.

In terms of smoothing out, it really helps with leads on channel 2, at least for how I have my amp dialed. I generally dial my amps in from more of a rhythm player standpoint than lead player, and on channel 2, how I had it set when I played leads it just was lacking in smoothness and sustain, but the BB fixes that right away

Thanks to the BB MB, I'm getting awesome metal riffing tones out of channel 2 crunch now. I'm using channel 2 for metal rhythms and channel 3 for leads. I've got channel set with a lot of gain and a V on the graphic EQ, and I use the BB MB with the midboost at 11:30, gain 9:00, volume 3:00, and the other controls at noon. If I turn the BB MB off, the channel goes back to being more mid-gain.

Back