Mark V With TC G-System Limited Any Good?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATR1

Reaction score
How does the G system work with V. I am considering this. Looks very clean & easey set up..
Thx

did a lot of research on this. the relays do not switch fast enough for good channel switching. however, the **** thing sounds fantastic.

They go together very well. I haven't noticed any significant lag in channel-switching with the relays.

I have been doing research on you tube. They sound awesome. I was watching the one with Peter Thorn, He has a G system and Axe FX in his rig? Don't they both do the same thing for the most part? Humm.

The Axe-FX has an amp modeler in it (pretty much the best one on the market), the G-System does not.

I struggled with a G-system Limited and my Mark 5 combo for 6 months. I was unable to configure them in a way that didn't alter the amps tone & feel for the worse (at least to my ears/feel). I now use a Modfactor and Timefactor was stellar results (at least for me).

arvee, I was wondering about going through AD/DA conversion twice - once through the MOD & once through the TIME. Obviously it's not a problem if you're happy with it. LoL

Are you running the MOD in the loop of the TIME?

talltxguy said:
arvee, I was wondering about going through AD/DA conversion twice - once through the MOD & once through the TIME. Obviously it's not a problem if you're happy with it. LoL

Are you running the MOD in the loop of the TIME?

Well, actually, if you run via 4 cable method with the G, you would have 2 AD/DA stages anyway.

Here is a bit more about my experiences the G-System:

I typically hard bypass the loop in my Mark 5. I have tried to get used to its effect (even with nothing actually connected in the loop so I can use the master volume control) but I keep reverting back to Hard Bypass. When I had the G-Sys, I tried every possible configuration (Guitar straight into G; guitar into Mesa bypassing G front end then FX loop into G, etc.). These methods seemed to alter my tone too much and I missed the way the Mk5 felt and sounded with nothing in front or in the loop. So I bought 2 Mesa 1x12 Theile cabs and ran Slave out into the G, then to a an outboard amp and finally into the 1x12s (W/D/W).

Now here is where it gets interesting. The delay repeats in the web cabs sounded thin and puny as compared to the actual dry amp sound regardless of the type of delay setting. I tried countless gain adjustments, buffers, settings, etc and just could not get the delay repeats to sound "seemless" or "homogenous", the repeats sounded like a different amp.

I bought a Timefactor, plugged it in where the G-system was, and voila the delay repeats sounded like the mark 5 with no tweaking whatsoever.

As far as the modfactor: I sometimes use it in the loop but typically I use it in front of the amp.

Hope this helps!

The combination works GREAT for me on a sonic level - but my main complaint is that the G-System's relays are REALLY slow, and it causes relay popping issues and slow channel switching - so I'm planning on trying out an RJM Amp Gizmo with it. It really is a a serious drag to spend extra cash on such an expensive rig, especially when it's to cover features that you supposedly already have. Oh - that and yet *more* wires.
WHOAH _ just a quick follow up - my last post prompted me to re-experiment with my G-System/Mark V rig - and now, somehow, my relay issues have cleared up. I can only imagine that somehow the contacts in my cabling weren't quite right.

Now that I don't need an Amp Gizmo, I'm VERY happy with my G/V rig right now!

Dave

Latest posts

Back