Replacement reverb rank suggestions for Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Lamury

Reaction score
I'm underwhelmed by the spring reverb on the mark v. I really like the reverb on l like a deluxe reverb amp but don't want the exact same tank as the deluxe reverb. Looking for suggestions for something similar that would play well with the Mark V. Thanks in advance, I have very limited knowledge when it comes to reverb tanks.

Honestly, if reverb is really your thing then Fender amps are the way to go. Get an amp switcher. Mesas vary in terms of their reverb quailty but none of them will do reverb as well as Fender amps. Even though the Marks sort of share a common ancestor with Fender designs the way Mesa implements reverb is just different. I know there will be exceptions to this and what makes a 'great reverb' can be subjective too. Mesa reverb in my experience is always shallower and less drippy. You just don't get as much wet effect as you can get out of typical Fender amps. Even if you did change the pan in your Mark V (and find an upgrade that is the correct impedence) you can't change the driver and recovery circuit which is also a big part of the sound. Maybe an external FX unit routed through your FX loop might be a better option. I'm sure others will suggest a pan for you though.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the 3 sping reverb tank in my Mark V with a Mesa two spring reverb tank?

On the Mesa reverb point; I have an old DC-5 and honestly the reverb is my only complaaint. It's ok, kind of "meh". My Oceans 11 made up for in spades though. Less headache than opening the old girl up again for sure.

I've been running a Fender HRD for the last 12 years, and honestly I like the reverb from the long tank unit in the Mesa Boogie 5:50 much better. And Mesa's reverb unit is well padded, so bumping the amp doesn't sound like a howitzer.

Short answer - yes, make sure the impedance is the same.

On the Mesa reverb point; I have an old DC-5 and honestly the reverb is my only complaaint. It's ok, kind of "meh". My Oceans 11 made up for in spades though. Less headache than opening the old girl up again for sure.
Yeah... and the reverb on the lead channel is close to non existent. I can get a good amount on the clean / rhythm channel. They just didn't design it to be reverb heavy. Now on the Maverick? SOO. MUCH. REVERB.

I may opt for a pedal. The verb in my C+ DRG downright sux. I've tried lots to resolve with negative results.

I would be surprised if your Mark V90 has a 3 spring tank. The RoadKing 1 had a long 3 spring tank, most of the amps make use of the long 2 spring tank including the Mark V90. RoadKing II, and the list goes on. The Mark V:25 and TC series use a short 3 spring tank. Not sure on the V:35 as it is not listed.
This is what is in my Mark V90
https://store.mesaboogie.com/products/reverb-tank-standard-tank-for-tube-reverb-circuits.html
It is what it is. Not lush or exciting. TBH, I never cared much for spring reverb including the Fender amps, although they do sound better. Not only is the reverb driver different it is also placed in a different point in the circuit. I much prefer the Strymon BigSky reverb. It is much more than just a reverb so I get bonus points for that. Also you can adjust the effect with the blend control.

I am sure there are other reverb effect units that have different features and such. The BigSky is on the expensive side but it works with all of my Mesa's including the Mark V90. No tone suck. The only Mesa reverb I like is the California tweed but that is not a long plate design. It is very small and not the same as that used by the TC50. Has a different tube driver circuit using a dual triode 12AT7 circuit commonly used by Fender. Also uses two triodes but separate, one for the reverb return and one for a mixer stage.

I guess my favorite Fender would have to be the Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue but is only 40W and a combo. That one just sounded good to me. Should have bought one when the price was much lower. That was my go to amp at Guitar Center for some odd reason, it was the only good sounding amp left to use after Mesa/Guitar Center broke the deal. Now I see they are back under the wing of Gibson. Only reason why I never bought one, I have the Royal Atlantic RA100 combo. That serves the blues well and has more bite when you need it. Also have the California Tweed. The Blues Deluxe may still be of interest though.

The spring reverb on my Princeton is spectacular. It is a 65' reissue, but one of the FSRs with a 12" speaker. It has a nice big tank in the bottom of the combo, and is very lush. Starts getting into ambient territory around 5. The reverb tank in the Mark V:25 combo is closer to the reverb in an older Blues Junior combo I have. Smaller tank, effect is not as present or deep in the mix. I don't mind on the Mark V because I'm using it for dirty tones 90% of the time, where I usually go with a delay pedal in the loop if I use anything. But not all Fender amps have the same great spring Reverb.

Latest posts

Back