Mark V with Multi Effects 4 Cable

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sopachrga

Reaction score
Hey all

I've been looking in to getting a multi effects setup to use 4 cable style with my Mark V.
I currently use single effects but I'm starting to get annoyed with the switching etc.

I was thinking of grabbing a HD500X or Boss GT100. I tried a g-system a little while back, while the effects were great, I found even with no effects enabled, having it connected in the loop drastically coloured the base tone of the amp. Particularly on high gain settings.

Has anyone had any luck with the Line 6 or boss stuff?

Cheers

I'm running just my Flashback X4 in the loop of my Mark V:25 and it sounds fantastic. My G-Major 2 sounds great in the loop as well.

I tried a GT-6 & a POD HD500X and thought they both added nasty artifacts to the core tone of the amp regardless of how I set levels.

I went with a G-Major & a MIDI switching system (GCX/GCP) and could not be happier.

If I want the pure dry tone of the amp, one stomp and I'm there (true bypass relays in the GCX). With the Boss & L6 stuff it's always in the signal path.

HTH

Dom

Hmm, interesting. I currently have a few pedals in the FX loop, and it works fine.
But I couldn't get the G-System I had to work nicely in there with 4 cable hookup.

Wonder if the MkV just doesn't do 4 cable well.

It's probably something wasn't tweaked right in the setup of the G-System. Perhaps the routing (serial vs. parallel) or the input/output range (pro/consumer, 2 dBu, 8 dBu, 14 dBu, 20 dBu) of the effect unit. Or perhaps killdry on/off? I'm on vacation this week, so I'll hook up my G-Major 2 and put it through the paces. To be honest, I mainly use the loop for delays and I get what I need out of the Flashback X4. It's point at your shoe easy to use vs scrolling through menus, so I spend more time with fingers on frets. :)

My Mark V works just fine with my G System, the trick is getting all of the levels set up correctly up front. And this all depends on how you have the individual channels set up on the V as well, so unfortunately every scenario is different and there is a bit of trial-and-error involved.

Thi big Mark has a few more variables with the boost and masters doesn't it? The mini Mark is just a simple series loop.

I've had a line 6 m13 hooked into my mark v using the 4cm for about 5 years. Sounds great to me.

I use the HD500 4CM with all my amps. Main thing to get it sounding correct is to boost the FX send 6db. The FX are good quality and it's handy having the expression pedal built in for wah and volume control. I just picked up a Voodoo Lab control switcher so that I can switch amp channels with it now too.

fr0sty said:
I've had a line 6 m13 hooked into my mark v using the 4cm for about 5 years. Sounds great to me.

Good to know. No issues with hum or ground loops?

Nope, totally quiet. The exact same setup moved over to my mini rec has a bit of hum though. I think it's the mini's loop.

SteveO said:
My Mark V works just fine with my G System, the trick is getting all of the levels set up correctly up front. And this all depends on how you have the individual channels set up on the V as well, so unfortunately every scenario is different and there is a bit of trial-and-error involved.

Same here. Once I figured out the levels (particularily disabling the G Systems built in boost mode) I had no issues with the G System.

Monstercastle said:
I'm running just my Flashback X4 in the loop of my Mark V:25 and it sounds fantastic. My G-Major 2 sounds great in the loop as well.

Same here... plus a few pedals up front for kicks...

I used a GSP1101 in 4cm with my Mark V and it worked beautifully and was dead silent.
I'm now running an Axe-Fx IIXL in 4cm and it is working quite well, but not as silent as the Digitech....

Latest posts

Back