Mark V with a 1x10"? You bet!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrickbrose

Reaction score
I love my Mark V head when paired with my 2x12" cab (Vintage 30 and Weber Blue Dog), but recently I was picked up to play in a band where a 2x12" just is such a nightmare to get to rehearsal (small basement down a flight of stairs in the drummers house). I decided that I needed a light weight solution. I have this little 1x10" cab that I built years ago to go with my 15 watt head. It sounds pretty good (lots of mids and highs) and it cuts well in the mix. For the past few days now I have been running my big Mark V head through this little 1x10" and it sounds really nice. I have all of the channels set to 45 watts (the speaker is a Legend 1058) and the Mark I and Mark IV sounds cut really well. The only thing I don't care for is that I usually use channel 1 in fat mode and 90 watts (I always have channels 2 and 3 in 45 watt mode). I am wondering since I keep the volume low for rehearsals, and my tone is clean, would running that channel in 90 watt cook the Legend speaker (rated at 75 watts)? Or would it be ok since I am not pushing the speaker much?
-P

I've done it a good few times. Even let my old bands singer use a 100watt head into a 60watt cab. A JCM800 into a 2x12 with 2 Greenbacks in it.
You risk blowing the speaker and potentially the output transformer. If your levels creep too high. Your speaker is rated for peak and your amp for RMS, if I remember right. Meaning your amp can knock out up to about 160watts for tiny bursts.
Do-able but be careful

One thing to consider, a tube amp will be sitting at its intended quiescent current (bias) and will have the potential to push any signal up to 90W (but keep in mind this is only a rating for a single frequency and may be higher for low frequency. Also electrical transients that make it into the signal path (pops from switches arching that may be present in the line voltage source) or even when changing channels from 45W to 90W.

I would set CH1 to 45W also. Note that the 75W speaker will work for a while but will overheat the voice coil if over powered (may even burn up or catch fire). Once you smell it, it is too late to prevent any more speaker damage as the coil will already be toast.

I believe that some of the Mark V combo's could be ordered with the V30 speaker, I do recall the recommendation to use on the 10W or the 45W only. There was a video on Haggartys website comparing the V30 to MC90 in a Mark V combo.

Latest posts

Back