Mark V vs The Egnater MOD 50!! Your thoughts?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Gregory

Reaction score
Hey! How goes it?

Got an offer to trade a V for a mod 50 and when researching the mod 50 I saw that it was a very similar amp. It has the ability to use up to 9 different modules, which simulate 9 different amps (sound familiar?) and can only use 2 at a time. I can see that the selling price for a new one of these is also more than a V.

Anyway, I was just wondering what how you guys think that these amps compare. I know that there will be more support for the V being on the boogie board haha, but what do you guys think? BTW, Does anyone have a MOD 50?

Thanks!

http://www.indoorstorm.com/Egnater_Mod_50_Head__Black_And_Tan__Aeg017-p-3145.html

I read a bit about these a while ago, the concept is pretty cool. The peeps that got-em seem to like-em. Then again someone out there is about to trade theirs for a Mark V so the grass be greener from the other side as well.....
http://www.harmonycentral.com/products/99749
At this point I don't like candy trading, I just want more candy to put next to my other candy then I can just pick a flavor that suits my needs. I mean ya got one of the best amps out there right now just hang on to it and start saving for the next big thing.
Unless ya just really don't dig what ya got, but I read posts all the time about gear separation anxiety from people who were chasing tone and did not realize how good what they had was and sold or traded it only to realize they lost a gem...

yeah I hear ya. I do not feel like separating with my V. I really am just learning to get the sounds that I want out of it.

The whole module thing is enough to throw me off. The Mark V was built with everything contained within it own. I think that other type of switching and "modulation" within the amp is a no-no, and is just another way for tone to leak..

Its sounds cool, but Dbone is right, the grass aint always greener, and you will find yourself most times unhappy with experimenting (unless you are totally dissatisfied with your tone to begin with)

If you want a differnt sound maybe try new tubes? THats enough to keep you busy for QUITE some time :)

PS. -

Ben, how do you like that Keeley Comp with the tubescreamer and the V. What kind of tones you using it for??

NR2112 said:
PS. -

Ben, how do you like that Keeley Comp with the tubescreamer and the V. What kind of tones you using it for??

I use the keeley for pretty much everything. It makes those cleans ring and shine and those leads just sustain and sing. I play a jeff Beck Strat and a les paul. I use it more for the strat. Definitely adds more color to the sound. As for the screamer, I have the gain turned low for those mildly dirty clean sounds on channel one. Same with the transparent overdrive. I also use the screamer on channel two which I have set to a mild crunch, kinda of a classic rock sound. The screamer gives it enough boost to go into a great lead sound. My favorite thing on my board though has to be that snarling dog whino wah. After I saw Jeff Beck play with one I found one the next day and it sounds bad *** especially on channel three. I am all about versatility, and the eq on the V adds a another spectrum to my sound.

My two cents. What do you use?

TOtally hear ya, The EQ is awesome. It is VERY sensitive too, I keep forgetting that when I change the slider, i must do so easily, not like a bull in a china shop!

Ive been looking at the Keeley Comp, my buddy uses one with a Hot Rod Deville, and it really livens his tone. I would think that it would work well with the MV. Im gonna have to gank it from him for a few days :lol:

I use two tubescreamers right now, a kelley plus mod, and an analogman silver mod. I dont feel they are all that transperant, but they do make a great boost when in channel two! i would like to try a RC booster, or AC booster or similar, I hear they are nice...

Im also looking for a new wah, currently using a Bad Horsey II, and its not too Vintage sounding, its very sharp and there isnt a lot of character too it. I think ill check out clips of the whino wah, you make it sound nice!

Thanks for the response!

NR2112 said:
TOtally hear ya, The EQ is awesome. It is VERY sensitive too, I keep forgetting that when I change the slider, i must do so easily, not like a bull in a china shop!

Ive been looking at the Keeley Comp, my buddy uses one with a Hot Rod Deville, and it really livens his tone. I would think that it would work well with the MV. Im gonna have to gank it from him for a few days :lol:

I use two tubescreamers right now, a kelley plus mod, and an analogman silver mod. I dont feel they are all that transperant, but they do make a great boost when in channel two! i would like to try a RC booster, or AC booster or similar, I hear they are nice...

Im also looking for a new wah, currently using a Bad Horsey II, and its not too Vintage sounding, its very sharp and there isnt a lot of character too it. I think ill check out clips of the whino wah, you make it sound nice!

Thanks for the response!

No prob!! The whino wah is amazing!! The only downside is that they are not made anymore and I had mine shipped from AZ. It has alot of different combinations of sounds. 12 different settings. However I have mine in Voo Doo mode, testoterone on, and both eyes engaged. That is how JB had his set up for songs like Hammerhead when I saw him perform. Hopefully it will not break because there are few out there and it would be hard to get replacements for it.

I have a load of experience with both and they are different animals really. I have been an active member on the Randall/Egnater forums here at Grailtone since 2006 and I run a very successful side business modifying the modules for the modular platform (http://www.jadedfaithmods.com).

Many of the same guys you see here are also on those boards and have owned both. I am the Sales Manager for 2 music stores here in NJ and have purchased two Boogies this year (Rectoverb and Mark V Combos), in addition to owning 2 Boogie cabs. Being that you are here, you probably know about the Mark V already.

The Modular platforms are excellent amps. The concept is the same on both Randall and Egnater amps, with different components used in the Egnater gear to justify the price differences. Mostly different caps (Orange Drop and Silver Micas in the Egnater), resistors (Carbon Comps all around, but I believe this changed in 2009 or 10) and Heyboer Trannies. The Egnater gear is smoother sounding and voiced for a different type of player that the Randall versions. Of course all modules are able to be modded to whatever you want from them by myself or one of several other modders. You also gain the ability to swap modules to combine any two modules you like (they are dual modules in the Egnaters, so you get a base tone with an A/B channel with differing gain and a shared tone stack on each) for any situation and the amps can use any power tubes you like in addition to letting you bias it quickly and easily yourself.

Both amps are excellent tools, a lot of fun to play and gig with and you can't go wrong with either. I love and keep both around and plan to as long as finances allow.

Shoot me a PM or email for any details I might have left out or if you have any questions.

Rob

jaded faith said:
I have a load of experience with both and they are different animals really. I have been an active member on the Randall/Egnater forums here at Grailtone since 2006 and I run a very successful side business modifying the modules for the modular platform (http://www.jadedfaithmods.com).

Many of the same guys you see here are also on those boards and have owned both. I am the Sales Manager for 2 music stores here in NJ and have purchased two Boogies this year (Rectoverb and Mark V Combos), in addition to owning 2 Boogie cabs. Being that you are here, you probably know about the Mark V already.

The Modular platforms are excellent amps. The concept is the same on both Randall and Egnater amps, with different components used in the Egnater gear to justify the price differences. Mostly different caps (Orange Drop and Silver Micas in the Egnater), resistors (Carbon Comps all around, but I believe this changed in 2009 or 10) and Heyboer Trannies. The Egnater gear is smoother sounding and voiced for a different type of player that the Randall versions. Of course all modules are able to be modded to whatever you want from them by myself or one of several other modders. You also gain the ability to swap modules to combine any two modules you like (they are dual modules in the Egnaters, so you get a base tone with an A/B channel with differing gain and a shared tone stack on each) for any situation and the amps can use any power tubes you like in addition to letting you bias it quickly and easily yourself.

Both amps are excellent tools, a lot of fun to play and gig with and you can't go wrong with either. I love and keep both around and plan to as long as finances allow.

Shoot me a PM or email for any details I might have left out or if you have any questions.

Rob

Wow! Those mods look pretty sick! I am tempted to ty a mod 50 now, but I am currently pursuing a stilleto duece stage II. I have a friend that is getting one though. I will definitely pm you if he has any questions or needs some custom mods from you! Thanks for the reply!

Glad I could help! Since you can't really go into a store and try the modular stuff (easily anyway) I wanted to share some first hand experience and info.

Hmmm.. module based amps: Cruise MQ4 and the Seymour Duncan Convertible. Maybe the Egnator will be different.

Latest posts

Back