Mark V tidbits

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rcc said:
Interesting... my local dealer had the price sheet for 2009 and stated that the Mark V head had a price of $1999. I don't doubt that any pre-orders made now would not be processed before next week, but it seemed as though the price was set. Not arguing your point/comment, just find it curious is all.

Oh, agreed. I'm not disputing anyones claims of pre-ordering at all. Just saying that's what Mesa told some reps locally this morning.

Mesa already has my money. The took orders last week. I have a PO in my system for a local forumite's V. So they have taken orders. Somebody over on HCAF claimed that Mesa said no orders but if you go through a rep you can get'er'done. But now all the reps are in Petaluma and probably are rocking out to the V and the _______ ____, or bobbing their heads to the __.

I thought about this several months ago - to have a clean and two cascading gain channels. now it looks like LEAD is just "Gain" not "Lead Drive" and "Lead Gain"...

I am looking forward to hearing RHY2. Edge specifically.

rabies said:
danyeo1 said:
If they really wanted to include the most popular Mark series tones then make channel 1 the Mark I, channel 2 the Mark IIC+, and channel 3 the Mark IV.

i'm sure they thought of this, knowing that this would be a commonly popular/requested configuration.

probably either wasn't possible or was cost-prohibitive, or perhaps the crunch mode is really that much better than the IV R2 and deserves its own pretty channel.

sleep, my son. your friend wants diamonds, not a cup of stale beer.

don't make me bring out the gimp on such a popular thread as this. you know who you is.

Silverwulf said:
I don't understand the need to footswitch between modes. So what if you could switch between IIC+ and IV modes? Your settings never change, so it won't be some huge, distinct tonal difference. Would you really have some big advantage by being able to switch between IIC+ and IV modes in the same song if you're going to be using the same settings on both? No, probably not. Without different settings, there's no big advantage in being able to footswitch between modes.
Well you apparently haven't played both of these amps. Even with the same settings they are two completely different amps and also sound completely different. Being able to switch between modes would be a big plus.

brettlingle said:
Well you apparently haven't played both of these amps. Even with the same settings they are two completely different amps and also sound completely different. Being able to switch between modes would be a big plus.

I've owned 2 IIC+ heads, probably a good 4-5 IV's, and my friends have owned (and own) many more. We talked about why it's unnecessary quite at length above.

If I had the money I'd buy one right now. A killer clean channel, reverb controls on all channels (and hopefully a good sounding reverb), solo feature, more gain on R2. Can't wait to get one! It sounds like it has everything I need.

I'm living in Canada.
It seems like it will be around 3000$ for a head here!!!!
I think i will wait a bit but if it's a good as it seem's to be, i will
probably go for it next summer.

Silverwulf said:
brettlingle said:

I've owned 2 IIC+ heads, probably a good 4-5 IV's, and my friends have owned (and own) many more. We talked about why it's unnecessary quite at length above.

I know I have read them and I agree with you that in a live situation the audience isn't really going to be able to tell the difference but I can tell the difference between a Mark IIC+ and a Mark IV with the same settings. I personally thought the Mark IV sounded better for rhythm playing and the C+ for leads hence the reason I think it would be nice to have the switching option.

Also if the difference is minimal then why even have the different modes? I think when an amp has an option you should be able to access it via a foot switch. I have a 2:90 in my rack that I switch the voicing on all the time when going from cleans to leads to rhythm. Again the audience probably wouldn't hear the difference but I do and the option to do that is there so I use it.

" thought about this several months ago - to have a clean and two cascading gain channels. now it looks like LEAD is just "Gain" not "Lead Drive" and "Lead Gain"..."

:twisted: I wondered when some one would bring this up ? :evil:

The gain and drive thing that is.

stephen sawall said:
" thought about this several months ago - to have a clean and two cascading gain channels. now it looks like LEAD is just "Gain" not "Lead Drive" and "Lead Gain"..."

I am confused are you in agreement or disagreement?lol

brettlingle said:
stephen sawall said:

I am confused are you in agreement or disagreement?lol

lol - I have not taken either of the two options.

It seems to me the voice is going to be it's own with pre and the power amp being different.

Hope they have enough of the "magick" in them.

rabies said:
why is nobody talking about power tube configs with this amp?!?!?!

yeah. great point, im also curious what options Mesa will offer at the power department. Progressive linkage will be awesome . . . hummm, EL34s on lead2 edge for stiletto type sounds and 6l6 for IIC+ tones in lead3 will be heaven on earth! and also fender type cleans on rhy 1?? oh my!! :mrgreen:

brettlingle said:
Silverwulf said:
brettlingle said:

I know I have read them and I agree with you that in a live situation the audience isn't really going to be able to tell the difference but I can tell the difference between a Mark IIC+ and a Mark IV with the same settings. I personally thought the Mark IV sounded better for rhythm playing and the C+ for leads hence the reason I think it would be nice to have the switching option.

Also if the difference is minimal then why even have the different modes? I think when an amp has an option you should be able to access it via a foot switch. I have a 2:90 in my rack that I switch the voicing on all the time when going from cleans to leads to rhythm. Again the audience probably wouldn't hear the difference but I do and the option to do that is there so I use it.

Couldn't have said it better. But, i got one on order regardless. :D

brettlingle said:
... I personally thought the Mark IV sounded better for rhythm playing and the C+ for leads ...

At the exact same settings?

Anyhow, as far as we know, even though it may be the exact same circuit, the controls (not to mention push-pulls, etc.) may be very different. Plus, even though there is a noticable difference, the settings you have set on the Mark IV mode may not work that well for you in the IIC+ mode. It would be a very limiting feature, and in my opinion not really worth the work of implementing that footswitchable relay from Mesas point of view.

Octavarius said:
brettlingle said:
... I personally thought the Mark IV sounded better for rhythm playing and the C+ for leads ...

At the exact same settings?

Anyhow, as far as we know, even though it may be the exact same circuit, the controls (not to mention push-pulls, etc.) may be very different. Plus, even though there is a noticable difference, the settings you have set on the Mark IV mode may not work that well for you in the IIC+ mode. It would be a very limiting feature, and in my opinion not really worth the work of implementing that footswitchable relay from Mesas point of view.
I have consistently used the same setting on all the Mark amps I have played. And how would adding another option be a limiting feature?

Should we wait for it to be released before we start complaining and arguing about it?

camsna said:
Should we wait for it to be released before we start complaining and arguing about it?

+1 we have no idea what this amp sounds like and even those who demo'd the amp have no idea of its potential or reliability as a long term investment. We should all just wait and see when it is released before we complain about it. It may be amazing or a boat anchor

Back