Mark V tidbits

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silverwulf said:
I don't understand the need to footswitch between modes. So what if you could switch between IIC+ and IV modes? Your settings never change, so it won't be some huge, distinct tonal difference. Would you really have some big advantage by being able to switch between IIC+ and IV modes in the same song if you're going to be using the same settings on both? No, probably not. Without different settings, there's no big advantage in being able to footswitch between modes.

The different modes on the Marshall JVM sound different enough to switch between them. And also, you're basically saying that if, and that's a big if, this amp nails the IIC+ tone and the IV tone, that you find it worthless to be able to use both modes at a gig. People are willing to shell out $3500 for the IIC+ tone and find it soo unique, so then why not be able to use along with a IV tone.

Maybe Boogie's thinking is that the IV and the IIC+ don't sound that different?

It's not a deal breaker for me, it just would have been a nice option.

danyeo1 said:
The different modes on the Marshall JVM sound different enough to switch between them. And also, you're basically saying that if, and that's a big if, this amp nails the IIC+ tone and the IV tone, that you find it worthless to be able to use both modes at a gig. People are willing to shell out $3500 for the IIC+ tone and find it soo unique, so then why not be able to use along with a IV tone.

We're not talking about a Marshall JVM. What I'm saying is I see no distinct advantage of playing a song live on the IIC+ mode, getting to some point in the song and then thinking "Man, if only I could switch over to the IV mode instead - on the same settings - for the next 45 seconds."

The majority of people who buy one will find the clean, crunch, and lead modes they like the best and never deviate from those for live/band playing. They'll experiment for studio recordings and try them all, but you don't need footswitching for that.

Silverwulf said:
danyeo1 said:

We're not talking about a Marshall JVM. What I'm saying is I see no distinct advantage of playing a song live on the IIC+ mode, getting to some point in the song and then thinking "Man, if only I could switch over to the IV mode instead - on the same settings - for the next 45 seconds."

The majority of people who buy one will find the clean, crunch, and lead modes they like the best and never deviate from those for live/band playing. They'll experiment for studio recordings and try them all, but you don't need footswitching for that.

Iv'e already talked several people who wanted to at least have the IIC+ and IV on different channels, or be able to switch between the modes of them. Funny how you keep bringing up settings. On these Mark series amps so many people use a similiar setting. Sure not everyone does use the same settings but how many times do you see the V on the EQ? Or the bass and mids on 1 with the treble up high?

And wow, i thought the JVM was the same thing as a Mark IV? Thanks for clearing that up. :wink:

danyeo1 said:
Silverwulf said:
danyeo1 said:

Iv'e already talked several people who wanted to at least have the IIC+ and IV on different channels, or be able to switch between the modes of them. Funny how you keep bringing up settings. On these Mark series amps so many people use a similiar setting. Sure not everyone does use the same settings but how many times do you see the V on the EQ? Or the bass and mids on 1 with the treble up high?

And wow, i thought the JVM was the same thing as a Mark IV? Thanks for clearing that up. :wink:

It is true however, that in a situation utilizing both of those amps, I would most likely imagine most people setting the IIC+ up for rhythm tones and the IV for lead tones. And those settings tend to be pretty different. So in that aspect, I don't really see the advantage of footswitching between those two modes with the same settings. Having two different Mark voicings on the same settings isn't quite the same as having multiple tones/channels. This would be a very subtle detail at most, an alternate voicing that I don't really see the need for switching between on a 3-channel amp in a practical live situation.

Having the two 'modes' on separate channels, though; that's an entirely different story.

danyeo1 said:
Maybe Boogie's thinking is that the IV and the IIC+ don't sound that different?
Frankly, you can get a IV to sound **** close to a C+ in SOUND. Feel, however, is a whole different matter, and transparency for the instrument. To me, it's the feel and dynamics of the IIC and C+ that distinguish them from the Mark IV...and make them really fun to play! I would be very surprised if the Mark V can capture the Mark II feel, but I remain hopeful! 8)

danyeo1 said:
I've already talked several people who wanted to at least have the IIC+ and IV on different channels, or be able to switch between the modes of them. Funny how you keep bringing up settings. On these Mark series amps so many people use a similiar setting. Sure not everyone does use the same settings but how many times do you see the V on the EQ? Or the bass and mids on 1 with the treble up high?

That's a different ball game. I completely agree with that. I'd love to have dual lead channels instead of a crunch/lead, but I know not everyone is like that. I'd much prefer that myself. But, it is what it is.

I keep bringing up settings because I can't see there being much tonal difference without different EQ settings. Having two heads is one thing, but when you have two lead modes voiced extremely similar (remember how similar the IVA is supposed to be to the IIC+?), running on the exact same settings, EQ settings, through the same transformer, using the same tubes, etc...I don't think it's going to vary enough for anyone to care.

If people need to be able to switch between multiple modes and sounds, jump back and forth between IIC+ and IV modes with different sounds, etc...it sounds like a head unit isn't for them to start with. Maybe check into a Triaxis instead.

And +1 to everything Octavarius said.

danyeo1 said:

:lol: I could say that I ate tacos last week, but it doesn't bear any relevance to the Mark V.

Silverwulf said:
danyeo1 said:

+1. Plus which, the guitar's volume knob should not be forgotten.

danyeo1 said:

*cough* so, um, how many of those $3500 C+s are actually getting gigged...

As far as being able to switch between the modes live, that is... um... well, let's put it this way, son. Put 500 people in the room, have the rest of the band play, have the other guitarist in your band play your new mark V, and if *you* can tell the difference between the "mark IV" mode and the "C+" mode three times out of four on your own rig from the middle of the room I'll pay for your beer all night. :lol: :lol: :lol:

iirc the reason they did not make the voicing footswitchable on the stiletto was it changed the sound for the worse (those ldr's maybe?)
I agree there are large gain jumps when switching voices that would make it unusable, er unless you wanted such
not same topic but I think they also said something about the tonestack moving when you select mark I modes

CoG said:

As far as being able to switch between the modes live, that is... um... well, let's put it this way, son. Put 500 people in the room, have the rest of the band play, have the other guitarist in your band play your new mark V, and if *you* can tell the difference between the "mark IV" mode and the "C+" mode three times out of four on your own rig from the middle of the room I'll pay for your beer all night. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I sold off the IIC+ heads I had before because they weren't versatile enough live for me.

And what you say is exactly what I mean, you just took it a little more in-depth... :lol: You have 2 modes voiced very similar (IIC+ and IV). They're on the same settings, same Graphic EQ, going through the same chain, into the same transformer, with the same tubes, mic'd up on the same cab...and being pumped out through a 10,000w PA behind you, mixed in with the band at high volumes, likely with a nother guitarist playing along with you...

...and if anyone can hear any substantial difference through that, they need to be commended.

CoG said:
danyeo1 said:

I probably played 200 shows on my old IIC+ but then again, i bought mine in 2000 for $1400.

And as far as the modes go. Well "son" let me put it this way. This amp is being called a "best of the Mark series" but in a live situation you're only going to be able to use 1 of those leads tones because the most famous of the Mark tones share the same channel. But they're dedicating a channel 2 to some crunch sounds that were never popular with the Mark series anyway. I'll buy you a beer if you can point to me some recordings that made the rhythm channels on these Mark amps famous.

If they really wanted to include the most popular Mark series tones then make channel 1 the Mark I, channel 2 the Mark IIC+, and channel 3 the Mark IV.

Once again, I'll repeat what i said earlier about the modes. It's not a deal breaker for me, it's just an option that would have been nice.

I dont own a mark II but when switching from the mark IV channel to the mark II channel the difference was the mark II channel was brighter and the gain was less saturated.
I cant comment on feel as I probably spent 25 seconds on each channel and was using a guitar off the wall etc.

Just took a big leap of faith.... called my local Mesa dealer and placed a pre-order for the V head. It's $1999 confirmed. They have to call me back with ETA info, but the guess is 60 days tops. Whoo hoo (I hope)!!

Canadian note: Long and Mcquade, who are the main Mesa distributors up here, have absolutely nothing in the system about the Mark V, nor has it even been discussed.

Based on previous Mesa new releases it won't be available for special orders until it's already on the floor in Vancouver and Toronto, which won't be for at least 5 or 6 months after Mesa's announced it. Very informed source says that based on the US price points he is expecting CDN$2999 for the head and $3299 for the combo unless there's a big change in the exchange rates before then.

CoG said:
Canadian note: Long and Mcquade, who are the main Mesa distributors up here, have absolutely nothing in the system about the Mark V, nor has it even been discussed.

Based on previous Mesa new releases it won't be available for special orders until it's already on the floor in Vancouver and Toronto, which won't be for at least 5 or 6 months after Mesa's announced it. Very informed source says that based on the US price points he is expecting CDN$2999 for the head and $3299 for the combo unless there's a big change in the exchange rates before then.
Gesh, I'm glad I picked up my final run Mark IV combo about 6 or 7 months ago when it was only $100 over U.S. prices. It was $2100 or something like that. At $1200 more, the Mark V would look far less tempting.

rcc said:
Just took a big leap of faith.... called my local Mesa dealer and placed a pre-order for the V head. It's $1999 confirmed. They have to call me back with ETA info, but the guess is 60 days tops. Whoo hoo (I hope)!!

Mesa told a couple local dealers as of this morning that the price is not finalized and no orders will be taken until after NAMM (Mon) on the Mark V.

I am really hoping that Long and McQuade can hook me up sooner rather than later. They bailed on a Mark IV for me that was ordered before the line was closed, but it never arrived. I like the people there, so I am hoping for some good luck early on this time round.

One thing I am interested in is the configurations that will be available for it. There has been talk of the Mark V requiring a larger chassis so I am wondering if the traditional 1x12 combo will even exist. Personally I am hoping to rack mount mine, but I would be interested in a 2x12 combo but I doubt that will be available.

2 sleeps and the future shall be made present...

Silverwulf said:
rcc said:

Mesa told a couple local dealers as of this morning that the price is not finalized and no orders will be taken until after NAMM (Mon) on the Mark V.

Interesting... my local dealer had the price sheet for 2009 and stated that the Mark V head had a price of $1999. I don't doubt that any pre-orders made now would not be processed before next week, but it seemed as though the price was set. Not arguing your point/comment, just find it curious is all.

Latest posts

Back